Should the USA beef market expand exports?

Help Support CattleToday:

NCBA is one of those groups that makes you wonder who they actually work for? There are 331 MILLION people in the USA. If we could keep out the cheap foreign beef that gets a label "Made in the USA" and reclaim our own market we would all be fat and happy making real money. The cost difference between what a producer gets paid and what the consumer pays is atrocious. This whole pipedream of "exports" is BS that has been sold to every industry in this country since WW1. The USA is the largest consumer market on the planet. If NCBA represents us and not a couple Brazilian owned packers they would be pushing for the COOL regs to be reinstated.

NCBA, like any organization, represents its members. My impression after the last 15 years here is that very few producers are members.

NCBA, like any organization, represents its members. My impression after the last 15 years here is that very few producers are members.
$150 minimum annual dues to an organization that works against you, no thanks.
They represent the packers and try to convince the cattle producers that what they are doing is beneficial to them, and sadly apparently quite a few people believe it.
I used to be a member of our county/state association, until we went to a presentation they were putting on. I didn't and haven't renewed my membership with the county cattlemen's association ever since.

The problem we have here is that not enough cattlemen are members of their local / regional associations. If you want you corner of the industry go be heard at decision making levels it starts with grass roots membership.
I don't have much patience for those that complain but don't participate in the process.

I think USA beef costs more than buyers are willing to pay. When the price goes down, the exports will go up. In the meantime, other countries are selling beef at a lower price.

The problem we have here is that not enough cattlemen are members of their local / regional associations. If you want you corner of the industry go be heard at decision making levels it starts with grass roots membership.
I don't have much patience for those that complain but don't participate in the process.
I get that sentiment. I had been a member of our local association for years, and was a board member once.
Our local group was more like a social club so to speak, no real policy discussions, then when something does come to discussion it's one narrative from the top down and no room for real discussion. We decided that our $45 a year was not worth it if we couldn't have a voice.

I get that sentiment. I had been a member of our local association for years, and was a board member once.
Our local group was more like a social club so to speak, no real policy discussions, then when something does come to discussion it's one narrative from the top down and no room for real discussion. We decided that our $45 a year was not worth it if we couldn't have a voice.
That is unfortunately what I have found. The management of the various associations work for themselves and are not interested in embracing the grassroots. I have tried to get involved with the California Cattlemen's Association and the American Hereford Association but have never received even a recognition of interest.
It is not like I am an unknown. For a decade, I have been active here and prior to that on the old Herefordtalk site. What I have found is that the boards are largely composed of lukewarm nice guys who finish last. I carry on paying dues because I that gives me the authority to seek redress for issues.

This is argument I have read most frequently.
That article explains why we import a type of beef we do not produce enough of. I am old enough to remember back in the 70's and early 80's when we produced 58% to 60% prime and choice carcasses. The choice/select spread was $6 to $8 per cwt on carcasses. Today, we are producing 78 to 82% prime/choice carcasses and the choice/select spread in $25+ per cwt. on carcasses. That is a lot of 50/50 lean to fat trim that needs some extremely lean to blend to make 80/20 hamburger. If you cut off imports, the cattle producer will not see any increase in price because the labor to pay for a 80/20 trim (that is desired by US hamburger eating consumers) will come off the producers paycheck. The American consumer is only willing to pay so much for a burger.

Latest posts