stolen cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I just saw on craigs list under oklahoma city where someone had a 100 head of cattle stolen I would have put the add on here but can not figure out how you all do it . said they were all branded and stolen from 2 pastures maybe someone will post the link it has pictures and the brands so everyone could keep a eye out

Its been flagged and removed. To bad i would have liked to read it. I just read one on craigslist the other day where somebody had a cow stoled from there pasture beside there house. Ive also been noticeing alot of goat theft localy. Must be the sign of the times? I dont understand how or rely why somebody would go to those lengths to "take" anything that is not theres.

lots of people make it easy for them to do. they rent land way off from where they live with no one to watch things. same way with equipment. i've seen some set way off with no one around for months at a time

jerry27150":1ve9u5ez said:
lots of people make it easy for them to do.
I don't know but anyway you do it to steal a 100 head of cattle would be a pretty big job this is not just back up and load up a trailer it had to be well planed pluse it would not be just real easy to hide a 100 head of cows when lots of them were bucking stock they did not look like your everyday black cow

that one on the cattle range is for 500 head stolen in WY, it says they were stolen in 1 day. Hows that even possible? Loading 500 head would take all day seems like, and be pretty loud.

GRTiger85":3mvpptwk said:
that one on the cattle range is for 500 head stolen in WY, it says they were stolen in 1 day. Hows that even possible? Loading 500 head would take all day seems like, and be pretty loud.
Maybe someone is trying to get them some ins. money ????? i thought the same thing the way i figured it would take about 13 or 14 simis to haul out that many that is not no easy job to do pluse what a job it would be to hide out 500 cows and they would have had to run them through a shout an take them ear-tags out that takes awhile to do also just does not sound right to me

I saw a show on FDR or read an article a month or so ago that spoke about the rustling woes in the Big Country. Seems as though some of these large herds are in pastures that are literally miles from anywhere. I suspect once they nab the responsible parties it's going to be an inside job.

GRTiger85":2sfycvar said:

with a good 4 or 5 person crew and I would say 3 or 4 trucks you could have them gathered and loaded (even rebranded if you needed to) in a half day

with most smaller ranchers working day jobs, the cattle tend to be easy to gather by honking a truck horn or other "convenient" trick that can easily backfire

not everybody ear tags (at least here in AZ, even then it's usually just generic numbers) and they could be out of the area in less than 12 hours. Even the local brand inspectors can't hardly read a brand - who the heck else would know how or care once on the road to someplace else?

Take them a state or two away and unless there was a health inspection who would do anything?

Another reason for me to keep my non-HQ pens and corrals in a dilapidated state and my cows half wild. :lol2:

Hippie Rancher":xwg53a38 said:
with a good 4 or 5 person crew and I would say 3 or 4 trucks you could have them gathered and loaded (even rebranded if you needed to) in a half day
:banana: :clap: I DON'T THINK SO half day you saying 5 hrs that would 36sec per head 10hr that would 1min 12sec to unload work and reload
3 trucks that aint but 167 head per truck hope they don't have to cross no scales takeing them out of state I sure would like to see them load them in 3 trucks must use a forklift to stack them with

BRYANT":3sjyj9p0 said:
:banana: :clap: I DON'T THINK SO half day you saying 5 hrs that would 36sec per head 10hr that would 1min 12sec to unload work and reload
3 trucks that aint but 167 head per truck hope they don't have to cross no scales takeing them out of state I sure would like to see them load them in 3 trucks must use a forklift to stack them with

I don't quite understand your shorthand but if you have a good crew, and good facilities it doesn't take a half minute per head to load. Don't know why you would need to unload/reload???

I figured an hour or 90 minutes to make a circle and bring them in (horseback), a couple three, four hours to work them, and another to load. If you didn't work them, all you'd need to do is pen them and run them into the trucks.

Now, I'm talking about well-worked brahma crosses here, because they aren't going to waste time hiding under trees - they get started and move in a good bunch. :nod:

Oh and for real cowboys a half day is quitting before dark ;-)

With 3-4 hands along, I can round up 300 pairs of several hundred acres of rugged, rolling Wyoming terrain, sort calves off and truck them 20 miles away in about a half day (mid-morning to a little past lunch time). Even when two trucks and a semi quit working, and had to borrow another semi, we still were done by dark. If you know where cows go to water and get a crew of halfway decent cowhands, working cows doesn't take that long. Would be a piece of cake to round up 100, even 500 head off the range and be gone in a couple hours.

Hippie Rancher":x8yzhrjj said:
I don't quite understand your shorthand

It aint no short hand just plain math you the one that said half a day to catch steal and rebrand I guess you would'nt have to load and unload but you will just set up camp in someones pasture and start rebranding 500 head and taking the ear tags out that they said the cows had then haul them out in 3 trucks sounds like a plan to me

BRYANT":2ql0b6pp said:
Hippie Rancher":2ql0b6pp said:
I don't quite understand your shorthand

It aint no short hand just plain math you the one that said half a day to catch steal and rebrand I guess you would'nt have to load and unload but you will just set up camp in someones pasture and start rebranding 500 head and taking the ear tags out that they said the cows had then haul them out in 3 trucks sounds like a plan to me

shorthand, lack of punctuation. whatever you want to call it. single, huge, long, run-on sentences can be hard to read and understand.

heck, I can't even tell if you read or understood my reply. are you still doubting a crew could rip off a big number of cattle in a day?

Hippie Rancher":5or8c277 said:
heck, I can't even tell if you read or understood my reply. are you still doubting a crew could rip off a big number of cattle in a day?
I could understand your replays better if you'd leave all them there little ,.'"/!?..,,' out they just make it hard on a hillbilly :cboy:
I just thought half a day to steal and rebrand was kind of fast but I don't know never worked that many in one day
but I have unloaded a BUNCH of simis when I worked on kill floor at meat packing house and I don't think you can put 500 head in 3 trucks or 4 as far as that goes
I aint planning on stealing 500 to find out so I'll just drop off this post
one other thing Hippie I sure do like that picture you have of the longhorned cow or bull

Well, a 5 hour half-day might be a little exaggerated, and I've never worked 500 head at one time before either. (heck, most of the time it takes a whole day to do a handful of calves between the flat tire, missing syringes, unexpected phone call and all those other things that ALWAYS seem to happen when you are trying to get something done :nod: )

and I could be off on the numbers of trucks - we haven't used a semi in ages, I don't know how many fit
But I have seen a less experienced crew work over 100 head gathered, rebranded and loaded (2 trucks?) in an easy morning before - had a cousin here for a few years and when he took his cows off, they went onto the forest in New Mexico and needed a different brand.

I want to make a separate post about that animal sometime - he is a steer and as far as I know he was out of either a Limousin or another Braford bull. His mother was an F1 Braford heifer - he was her first calf. We do have some longhorns now but didn't when he was born. I think he was 12 in that picture.

Hippie Rancher":1yuwgvan said:
I want to make a separate post about that animal sometime - he is a steer and as far as I know he was out of either a Limousin or another Braford bull. His mother was an F1 Braford heifer - he was her first calf. We do have some longhorns now but didn't when he was born. I think he was 12 in that picture.
I'll be looking forward to the post about him I like the looks of him tryed to make the picture bigger to see him better but could'nt. did'nt know what to call him so I just said longhorn. I like them F1 Brafords but I try to keep a 1/2 Brahman in all my cows just think it makes them a better cow

Back a few years, quite a few, when I lived outside of Globe, AZ the bad hombreys were using refigerated trucks and slaughtering upwards of 25 head a night and leaving the hides in the wash where the deed was done. A fella would think that someone would be suspicious of rigs like that driving around at night. Heck I was stoped just because I was hauling horses in my pick up at night, wanted to see my haul slip good thing he didn't look for the beer. DMc

Latest posts