Tenderness genes - breed comparison

Help Support CattleToday:

OK Jeanne

Reaction score
Here's a chart which shows(for the breeds tested) that
Murray Greys have more of the combined tenderness
genes than any of the others on the chart. If it's too small
to read, send me a pm and I will forward it to you directly.

DNA_Chart012.jpg

That chart was done when there were two factors discovered;
calpastatin and calpain 316. Now MARC has discovered another
calpain factor..thereby making a perfect tenderness score
a "6-star" result. Here's a cow that has a 6 star score:

2346petuniaaug04.jpg

Here's a bull that is also a "6-star":

2404Jumbo.jpg

If you are going to sell beef, you probably will be more
concerned with tenderness than IMF or gain-per-day.
IMO :D

Very nice chart - I like that. I wish the pinzagauer breed was on there, as I thought they also had high tenderness rating.

Pinzgauer's did not make the list because of the number of cattle tested. They have tested 85% 2 Stars. I just sold a bull CRS Provost CRS16P to a Florida commercial breeder that was 5 Stars under the new test. Pinzgauers just need to get more tested.

How much of our beef is aged, and for how long? Seems to me the breeds at the top of the CAST column would be the most desirable, since their beef tends to be more tender without having to be aged.

mitchwi":yfl0sbux said:
Very nice chart - I like that. I wish the pinzagauer breed was on there, as I thought they also had high tenderness rating.

Pinzgauer is one of the breeds that MARC identified as excelling in tenderness. The other breeds were Piedmontese, South Devon, and Red Poll.

The trouble with the chart is that it is based on the volume of animals tested. There are some breeds that are not listed because they have not tested as many animals.

If you go to the Bovigen website and look under the results it shows that Red Polls are at almost 90% 2 Star.

Jovid":2m98lg5p said:
mitchwi":2m98lg5p said:
The trouble with the chart is that it is based on the volume of animals tested. There are some breeds that are not listed because they have not tested as many animals.

THERE ARE PROBABLY LOTS OF GOOD ANIMALS OUT THERE THAT DON'T GET THEIR DUE.

EXAMPLE:

Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 11:35 AM
Subject: Addendum: Rose Herd Report - DNA testing

I was completely intrigued by Dr. Caldwell's presentation during the annual meeting in Des Moines of DNA testing of his herd for the tenderness gene. I decided it would be useful to do a follow-up on another unrelated herd to see if his data could be substantiated.

Rather than test our entire herd because of the expense, I chose to do a random selection of our yearlings as we worked them. This is not a scientifically selected random sample, but I think is reliable enough to report the results.

We tested 12 animals, 10 heifers and two bulls. One bull is a yearling, the other a two year old bull. All heifers were yearlings. These came both from offspring of the Rose Herd and our own herd, although there now is some intermingling of the genetics.

For those unfamiliar with this, a score of 10 is the best, 1 the worst. Dr. Caldwell said that his preliminary results suggested that Belted Galloways may surpass other breeds in the presence of the DNA tenderness genes.

Our scores ranged from 4-7, with only one, or 8% testing 4.

Seven or 58% tested 6.

Four or 33% test 7.

There were no 5's.

I would caution people to interpret this data carefully, but it does support Dr. Caldwell's findings that the tenderness genes do occur at a higher rate in Belties than in other breeds of cattle.

It is important to emphasize that tenderness is a multi-determined factor, i.e. the gene alone will not make meat tender. Management practices still play a dominant role in tender meat. However, with good management, it allows for expression of these genetic factors.

For those who wish to learn more, http://www.igenity.com/

Loren

Loren A. Olson, M. D.

and Doug Mortimer

Malabar Farm and Blossom Ridge Farm

http://www.BeltieFarms.com

3032 Settlers Trail

St. Charles IA 50240-8564

Ph: 641-765-4356

Latest posts