The direction of western pleasure

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Speaking out of turn here, because I'm not a horse show person. I haven't really frequented horse shows, but I have watched 3 in the last 6 months. That kinda spawned me to watch a little on line. The really "unnatural" movements they have those things making, disturbs me a little. I gotta wonder where notions like that even come from? I like to put a good slow lope, on a horse I'm going to be using, but you could fall asleep before one of these horses I'm talking about makes a lap around the arena.

I'm with you. I hate being around show horse people because I always wind up feeling like I don't know anything about horses. It took me a long time to figure out that I did know what changing leads meant... I just didn't know that's what I was supposed to call it.
One of my good friends shoes horses for a living and has made enough of a name for himself that he is doing some really high end horses. He did my horses and asked me if I wanted to go see what kind of people he dealt with so we jumped in the truck and went to his next stop.
I sat there and listened to this gal tell him how this horse needed to be shod this way ad this one needed this and I sat there and listened for two hours and didn't have a clue about half of what she said.
When we left I told him I had never realized that he knew that much about performance horses and that I didn't really see the difference beyond a few sliders. He told me he just plays along and for the most part they all get shod like ranch horses unless she wants sliders. :lol:

I really enjoy watching them roll peanuts around the arena with their nose
Now that's something really something practical that every horse should learn

I guess, in a way every discipline ask a horse to make an unnatural movement---------Sliding stops, spins, jumps, turning a barrel at a dead run etc and so on. What I see western pleasure horses is just very extreme.

I have to agree with the other posters on. Boring beyond words! Going around in a circle all day is the last thing I want to do, I can go to my paying job to do that. My idea of a good ride is about 4-5 hours on an old logging road, a couple of trees down to jump over, maybe a big puddle of water to wade through.

Latest posts