thread from previous question epds and phenotype

Help Support CattleToday:

ragweed

Reaction score
if starting fresh with no purebred cattle. would you try to stay as close to the breed average or would you buy up in the epds and which ones would you place the most emphasis on. gotta a small pasture and wanting to work some purebreds for keeping for myself and if they dont make the cut sell them for terminal cattle. Just trying to start out with what people want instead of trying to get there later.

First I think you need to make a decision on whether you want to raise what people want or what is the most profitable for your situation.

In my opinion you match the cattle with your environment's ability to support their level of growth, performance, milk, and frame. Choose the cattle that handle your situation with little to no supplementation.

You will be better off in the long run with this choice. Very likely soon it will be everyone's goal with inputs rising.

Use EPDs as it was intended in the first place, ie as an additional source of information, not a marketing tool!

I agree with Allforage, select for cattle that work in your environment and let the EPDs fall where they will. Once you've established a good working cowherd you can address whatever EPD issues you might have with AI to a popular bull and fix it in one generation.

Previous comments are right on the money.

Another suggestion would be to start with less cattle and buy better quality. Many moons ago when I started the cattle business I purchased my first registered cows from a sale hosted by 5 or 6 registered breeders. I didn't do enough homework on the breeders that I bought from and also listened too closely to the sale manager of the sale (wasn't thinking at the time that he is working for the seller, not the buyer). Though I thought I knew the kind of cattle I wanted I wasn't detailed enough in my thinking and came home with cattle that in hindsight I probably wouldn't have purchased if I was more disciplined in my selection crieteria.

So, learn from my mistakes.
-Have a firm idea in your mind of the type of cattle you want (frame score, fleshing ability, appearance, performance records, EPDs, etc.) and don't waiver from it. If you don't have a firm idea of what you want, take some time visiting seedstock herds to learn their philosophies and determine if their thoughts make sense to you. Talking to others should help you solidify in your mind the type of cattle you want to raise.
-Don't be fooled by fancy ads in breed magazines...that doesn't mean their cattle are necessarily good...many aren't.
-Don't be fooled by fancy, white painted fences and the fact that they have been in business 50 years. I know a so-called seedstock operation that has raised registered cattle for over 50 years. They are very proud of that fact and because of it think they know the cattle business and what are good cattle. I find it interesting that this "seedstock" operation with over 150 cows, in cow country, struggles to sell 10 bulls a year. Truthfully, they don't sell many bulls because their cattle don't work for commercial producers; they are just blind to the fact.
-Don't think that if you buy "pretty good" cows you will be able to improve the herd fairly quickly by using the top bulls in the breed with AI. Trust me, I've tried this and it is amazing how many years it has taken for me to get to where I am with my cows...and I'm still not satisfied. Buy quality at the start!

Good luck and have fun in your adventure!

Agree with the previous post.

Also What is your Business plan? cow calf, replacements, terminal, etc. That will also effect your decision making process.

For instance my breed does not focus entirely on EPD's. the 6 essentials yes. They are starting to get the EPD importance. Depending on your breed of choice there are quite a few on this board who are well versed in selecting breed traits for whet your looking for.

As rag weed stated what is good for your area, South east alabama, Brahma influence.

plan is for replacements as much as possible. anything that isnt what im lookiing for let go either terminal or to anyone wanting them. wanting to start small with the purebreds will slowly start replacing my comm. cows.

Latest posts