What cow horse stud to breed to 7 AQHA rope mares.

Help Support CattleToday:

I think all horses that excel are made, regardless of breeding but I also believe breeding makes one easier to make and marketability means a lot that's why most of the rope horse futurity horses are bred like the cutter, cow horse and reiner futurity horses. It's ability that separates them and directs which way they go but its breeding that got the horse to the point where someone would buy that horse, spend that much on training and fees to give you the hope he can win
You are correct that the training / trainer is important on the horse. However, the marketability is based on a proven line that has the ability to build upon and invest with the training. The horse must first have the mind and structure. Ever so often you have a horse that has enough heart and drive outside of the perfect structure do very well. But they are unicorns, and again the mind/drive was inherently there to give it the ability. The market naturally looks for and invests in the ones that are winning. Those horses have the mind and physical ability bred into them. Trainers bring it out and perfect the foundation that is already there and proven. Without the proper breeding a horse can only go so far. Both the sire and dam are important in the decision. I have a gelding that is cutting bred on top and an Impressive line on the bottom. He is beautiful to look at. But he will never be a cutting horse. I bought him because he is super sweet and anybody can ride him. Btw, I know about the Impressive line carrying HYPP. My gelding is 8 yrs old and never shown any signs of being affected. I have not tested him a) he is gelded b) never symptomatic. Anyway, my mare, though never shown, I decided to breed. I would love to get a filly out of her for myself. She is so athletic and healthy and has an amazing mind, heart and disposition. She has a great pedigree and has passed these qualities on to her two colts. They are still too young to see how they perform in the arena but I am looking forward to seeing their future with the right owner and trainer. I feel the foundation is there. Will have to see. Anyway, I ramble 😉, it all starts with the correct mind in the horse, then structure, then training. It does not start with training. If my mare did not have brains, heart and a good attitude I would not breed her no matter what her pedigree read. I wish I had been able to get her when she was younger. I got her as a handled but not broke 16 yr old. She had been bought as a weanling but owner fell upon hard times physically and financially and she became a pasture ornament. I ride her, she is smart and she is a thinker with common sense. These things played into my decision to breed her. I dont breed to stallions with bad attitudes no matter how popular they are. You have to do your research. I believe I am putting good minded, structurally sound horses out into the market. They wont fetch the big bucks because they are more foundational bred. Hopefully, someone will recognize the potential and put the good training in them. Hopefully, it will pay off for them. I just believe the foundational is there to build upon. I believe it starts with the mind of the horse. Horses become popular because they are proven in the arena for what they were bred to do. Idk why my gelding is cutting bred x halter bred. Maybe they wanted more size? He is a good ol boy and I love him but he does not have the mental drive to be a good cutter. The halter horse side of his genetics won the battle of the mind. Lol! Ok, I am done with my ramblings. No one else in my family is into horses so I talk horses to strangers. And I do welcome feedback. I have much to learn!!

Well, yeah, you have to train a horse to compete in any discipline, but I meant there is no such thing as a horse being born with "roping sense", like there are with cow sense that cutting horses have. Those cutting type horses that don't have it, are why Reining and Working cow horse was created. Those are two things the horses are taught, and the rider controls, where as cutting is the horse itself. Does that make sense?: Basically we have racing bred or type QHs, pleasure type QHs, halter types, and performance types...the ones that make good cow horses. Cutting-bred horses do tend to make the best reiners, working cow horses, ropers, penners, sorters, etc. It is because of their build, and their minds. I was just saying there isn't a stallion that sires horses with a built-in roping sense. There are stallions, however, that sire horses that have the build that gives it the agility and speed, and that tend to have the disposition to make good ropers.
Yessssss!!

Last week we had a filly born by A Vintage Smoke winner of over 660,000 as a reiner but bred like a cow horse out of our Cats Merada mare, should be a great mare, This morning another filly by Call Me Mitch, 2 times world's greatest Horseman champion and winner of over $476,000 in cow horse and cutting out of my Woody B Tuff mare. I am excited about them both

Latest posts