YBMC Dog with A Teeth/Gum Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Davexx1

Reaction score
I have an 8 year old YBMC (Yellow Black Mouth Cur) dog that has what appears to be a piece of wart like gum tissue growing out from around a lower canine tooth. I just noticed it but it is almost as large and long as the tooth itself and doesn't look good. I have had working dogs all of my life and have never seen anything like this. Anyone have any knowledge of a problem like this?
Thanks, Dave

Just what I've seen from watching vet shows, usually no big deal and easy to remove. I forget what they're called, but I think they're somewhat common.

They will often recur, are a tumour and not that easy to remove. If just lopped off will frequently recur. They are not usually malignant however can be very invasive locally and often part of jaw has to be removed with them. Take it to a Vet for surgery.

Ken

Periodontal epulis.
Most are benign, but can reoccur after excision or arise at other sites along the dental arcade.

Last edited:
My vet gave a similar diagnosis and I have a surgery appmt in January to remove it and a marble size round wart looking growth from the chest area, thorough teeth cleaning, etc. Pathology report on the growths is optional.

Get the pathology done. It will give you a plan for the future. We had a ACD female have one random lump on her belly removed. Turned out to be cancerous. With that knowledge, we were able to keep her functional and comfortable for far longer than we would have if we had just assumed it was a cyst or something benign.

Latest posts