Large frame Polled Herefords

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Ch8
Beginner
Beginner

Large frame Polled Herefords

Postby Ch8 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09 pm

"Ace Broker"....Yeah, I said it...Does anyone know where he was bred? Who might have any straws on him? Was there any collected? I'm looking for others with frame size 8 and up...Any other sites out there come to mind... Descendents of him? I'm looking for frame, and style...Yes, I know moderate is efficient and trends are where they are. I am just wanting some heifers that are not 4-5 frame...I miss those solid 6 -7 frame cows. The ones that cover ground well and still have rib and depth...Thanks Hereford Enthusiast's.
0 x

JHH
GURU
GURU

Re: Large frame Polled Herefords

Postby JHH » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:02 am

Don't know anything about him. But if u want big u might see if you can get semen on some of the ochs breeding. They were 2800 lb plus.
0 x
nothing makes a person more productive than the last minute

JHH
GURU
GURU

Postby JHH » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:06 am

0 x

JHH
GURU
GURU

Postby JHH » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 am

Sorry u said polled. Can't help you
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:11 am

Frame 10.. Polled Hereford has came a long way since then..almost see he belts on the folks showing him... ....underneath. https://msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/ace_broker.jpg
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Ch8
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ch8 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:42 am

I understand, and my favorite bull of all time is still CRR About Time 743, BUT...I like BIG Cows! Too moderate too often these days.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:20 am

Why?

Those kind don't usually sell well.
3 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 am

Mohican Polled Herefords, Glenmont, Ohio bred Broker. Although he was huge, he did transmit some milk into his daughters. Not like many other's in the 80's. My first purebred cow was a Broker grandaughter.

Lots of bulls to pick from the 80's to increase size. If I was to do it, hunt down semen on either:

JR LB 621 CHIVAS Y168
JR LB 621 STEALTH A99
JR LB 621 COSSACK Y166

They were all full brothers (scurred) and their mother 'Crystal' and sister 'Cassandra' were just gorgeous cows for the time - best to ever come out of the John E Rice Herd. Based on where the breed went in the 80's, they were far ahead of their time in terms of function and udder quality. I was the last person to register offspring in this country off Chivas. AHA records say that SK Herefords http://www.skherefords.com/bulls.htm has US rights to him. I would buy a good son off one of those bulls in a heartbeat. They were mama makers.

If your not worried about udder quality and just want nice big deep barrel mama cows, many of the Butler bulls did just that. Nick the Butler P183, Domino 15G, BT Butler 452M.

If you want frame size and nothing else, Glenkirk bulls are your poison. GK Turning Point X53 was huge, 8-9 frame. I used his son, GK Tradewind Z8 and cows were just monsters that didn't milk. Turning Point's brother, GK Rushmore Y8 was used a lot to add frame. He was one of the biggest I remember, I think a frame 9.2 or 9.5.

But those big frame bulls also can have cow killer birthweights - 130-150 lbs. And the calves will starve because the daughters had no milk.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:06 pm

JR LB 621 CHIVAS Y168

One of the few Polled Hereford bulls I would be willing to use at the drop of a hat, without question.

0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Ch8
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ch8 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Good stuff! Your knowledge is appreciated.
Yes, milk matters as well as udders...I fear the infamous "Coke bottles". I am researching the Bulls you have suggested.
0 x

JHH
GURU
GURU

Postby JHH » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:59 pm

Why so big ch8
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:16 pm

I can see where ch8 is coming from. The moderation in frame has went to far in many Herefords. I want one at least a frame 5.5 but prefer 6.0. And it is hard to find one that fits that criteria anymore and weigh over a ton unless they are carrying a lot of white muscle. Some have been compacted too far. They are short in heigth and length.
0 x

Ch8
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ch8 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 pm

Yes, elkwc...I concur. I just like bigger frame cows. A cow that makes you look twice. In my opinion, a 6 frame cow with good hip and rib and udder, will be of more demand than a 4 or 5 frame with as good hip,rib and udder. I would also like to be able to use an array of bulls and not worry so much about that BW. A larger frame Cow can give me a little more versatility and assurance come calving time. Sure, they cost a little more to feed or maintain, but I believe in quality not quantity. But, TN,KY,NC...different market and grass and climate and all. I know this is not for everyone, but...there is a demand for larger Brood Hereford Cows.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 pm

This is heresy! You guys will surely be burned at the stake!!!!
1 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Silver wrote:This is heresy! You guys will surely be burned at the stake!!!!

I'll help you burn them then we can divide their cattle between us! :cowboy:
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”