If you have a calf that won't suck

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
We don't often see this, but we had a bad run one year with a bunch that wouldn't suck the cow OR bottle. It usually happens with a big calf that had a hard birth, but not always. We would fight with them (quite a few swear words) and of course in the end you would get so frustrated that you would finally have to just give up and tube them anyway. In a few days they would usually start to suck anyways.

NOW, when we run into this I quit the fighting part. We leave the calf in with the cow and we may or may not milk her depending on HER attitude. And we simply tube the calf for the 2-4 days and then just "forget" to feed the calf one night. Of course you have to make sure that the calf gets colostrum in the first 18 hours. Everytime we have done this we go out in the morning, and the calf has either sucked, or is up sucking. By tubing them for a couple days they are able to build up enough strength to handle a night without feed. We would tube them twice a day, so they would go at least 14-18 hours without milk. That should make them plenty hungry enough to get that sucking instinct to kick in!!

If they still haven't caught on I think that I would just tube them again in the morning, and then miss that evening feed again.

It is worth a try and it is MUCH easier than fighting with a limp noodle calf that has absolutely NO intention of sucking!!

randiliana":31j37yeh said:
And we simply tube the calf for the 2-4 days and then just "forget" to feed the calf one night.

I see two problems with this approach: 1) A novice trying to tube a calf is a really good way to end up with a drowned calf (worst case scenario) or a good case of pneumonia (better case scenario, but not perfect). 2) The act of tubing tends to scrape and irritate the throat of the calf, thus resulting in a desire to not swallow and a refusal to nurse the bottle or cow, as the case may be. Around here tubing is a last resort. Just my thoughts.

msscamp"} I see two problems with this approach: 1) A novice trying to tube a calf is a really good way to end up with a drowned calf (worst case scenario) or a good case of pneumonia (better case scenario said:
Well, I think that if I have a calf that won't suck,that you really don't have any other choice. We rarely tube them, I would much rather bottlefeed.

Randi,

I know what you're talking about.

We ended up with around 30 head of dummy calves one year (a sterling example of what happens when a breeder sells bulls that had to be assisted and should have been banded). :mad:

Anyway, calves would be fine and frisky, except with no suck reflex. At about three days of age, all of a sudden it was like a light would go on, and they'd be going to town on the teat.

We ended up doing a lot of tubing that spring. Agree that with dumbie calves it's much easier to tube, as fighting to get them to nurse is pointless if they don't have that sucking instinct working yet. I mean, by all means try the calf every feeding on teat/bottle, but if no results, the tuber saves time and stress.

Of course, these calves were generously disperesed among the other calves being born, and we were getting up to ten a day at that time, so to say that it was a royal pain is the understatement of the year.

Take care.

CattleAnnie":9lbzniqg said:
Randi,

I know what you're talking about.

We ended up with around 30 head of dummy calves one year (a sterling example of what happens when a breeder sells bulls that had to be assisted and should have been banded). :mad:

Anyway, calves would be fine and frisky, except with no suck reflex. At about three days of age, all of a sudden it was like a light would go on, and they'd be going to town on the teat.

We ended up doing a lot of tubing that spring. Agree that with dumbie calves it's much easier to tube, as fighting to get them to nurse is pointless if they don't have that sucking instinct working yet. I mean, by all means try the calf every feeding on teat/bottle, but if no results, the tuber saves time and stress.

Of course, these calves were generously disperesed among the other calves being born, and we were getting up to ten a day at that time, so to say that it was a royal pain is the understatement of the year.

Take care.

Goodness, we have never had more than 5 or 6. Of course up till now we have only calved out about 80 - 100 head too. But the easiest way is usually the least stressfull on you and the calf.

I agree the numbers of dumbies that year was astounding, Randi.

If I remember correctly, I think we calved out around 170 head or so that spring and had a bad scours outbreak to contend with at the same time.

It was definately not a fun experience, as we were running cows in and out of that maternity pen with dumbies at all hours of the day for weeks on end, tubing the ones that didn't suck yet, plus doctoring sick calves and dealing with all the other odds and ends associated with a regular calving season. ;-)

Take care.

Wow, well one can only hope that you don't see that type of a year again!! Good luck!!

We are starting to calve. Well, we are supposed to be but, the girls are holding their breath or something since they are all over due now and we have only had 1 calf out of the main herd so far!! Should begin with a bang pretty quick :lol:

Oh, just check the weather forecast for the next snowstorm or severe drop in temperature.

Seems like as soon as the barometer drops, every cow that's close to calving will lay down and deliver in the nearest snowbank or spot that's exposed to the wind. :roll:

Good luck with your calving season. ;-)

Take care.

CattleAnnie":1kehm3ci said:
Oh, just check the weather forecast for the next snowstorm or severe drop in temperature.

Seems like as soon as the barometer drops, every cow that's close to calving will lay down and deliver in the nearest snowbank or spot that's exposed to the wind. :roll:

Naw, they're being contrary this year!! We have already had snowstorm's AND cold weather. Still nothing. Maybe they're waiting for it to warm up?!!

CattleAnnie":11lklyo1 said:
I agree the numbers of dumbies that year was astounding, Randi.

If I remember correctly, I think we calved out around 170 head or so that spring and had a bad scours outbreak to contend with at the same time.

It was definately not a fun experience, as we were running cows in and out of that maternity pen with dumbies at all hours of the day for weeks on end, tubing the ones that didn't suck yet, plus doctoring sick calves and dealing with all the other odds and ends associated with a regular calving season.
You must have been almost going crazy,after a year like that?I bet you were glad,when calving season was finally over that year!!

Thanks, George, and you're right on the money.

That's why my pet peeve is folks in the Purebred cattle industry that don't cull hard enough.

Seems like there's some out there that figure that just because a calf is born with nuts makes him good enough to be able to use them. :roll: (Ie. Calves that were pulled, wouldn't suck, bow-legged, or have dams with cruddy feet/bags/disposition).

The bummer part is that usually a person doesn't find out about these things until the calves start hitting the ground or until you're getting calves off the daughters.

That's why in a perfect world it would be ideal if a person could stroll through the herd of the bulls you're interested in. The shame is that it's not always possible.

But you live and you learn, eh? ;-)

Take care.

Latest posts