Bad luck keeps on coming

Help Support CattleToday:

Not sure how a cow could be accidentally torn apart. The only good loophole I discovered is that if I have 5k coverage for a bull it doesn't specify a certain bull. If I have three bulls and one gets hit by lightning or drowned it's covered. Doesn't matter what I paid for it.

Looks like the policy only covers losses due to most anything except a health issue. There have been many high dollar cattle that died of "bloat" that were apparently covered, but no doubt different policy terms.

I will say, the airplane thing can be an issue. We used to live near a local airport-right under the flight path. We had coverage for airplanes falling out of the sky. Now we live next to SpaceX testing facility-nothing leaves the ground (static tests), so no coverage for any damages incurred by ground shaking during tests. Insurance is a funny thing.

My dads and grandfathers old farm was about 1/4 mile off the end of a small airport. Had two ultralights lose power on the approach and land in the pasture. Current farm isn't to far from a regional airport so I see plenty or air traffic over head. Probably not a bad idea to have airplane coverage.

I will say, the airplane thing can be an issue. We used to live near a local airport-right under the flight path. We had coverage for airplanes falling out of the sky. Now we live next to SpaceX testing facility-nothing leaves the ground (static tests), so no coverage for any damages incurred by ground shaking during tests. Insurance is a funny thing.
I'd be damn*d if I'd be using my insurance for an airplane issue. I would like to think any damage caused by an airplane would be covered by the airplane's insurance. I can't imagine they would be flying around uninsured.

I'd be damn*d if I'd be using my insurance for an airplane issue. I would like to think any damage caused by an airplane would be covered by the airplane's insurance. I can't imagine they would be flying around uninsured.
It's probably like auto insurance and they don't require near enough. Your auto insurance covers any shortfalls from the other person.

It's probably like auto insurance and they don't require near enough. Your auto insurance covers any shortfalls from the other person.
Make sure to get the max coverage on UM/UIM. Cheapest insurance you can buy for when the other driver doesn't have enough coverage to pay for your injuries and damages they caused.

Airplanes are not required to be insured unless there is a loan on it with a bank. It would be crazy not to have it but many do not.
Odd. I would bet that airports / hangars etc would require some sort of minimum liability insurance. I would if I owned an airstrip or hangar.

Every aircraft owner that is registered in Canada or registered to operate in Canada must hold liability insurance, including both public & passenger liability

Odd. I would bet that airports / hangars etc would require some sort of minimum liability insurance. I would if I owned an airstrip or hangar.

Every aircraft owner that is registered in Canada or registered to operate in Canada must hold liability insurance, including both public & passenger liability
They do here too, @Silver. I guess @Shuttle50 was talking about property coverage.

I don't understand why liability insurance isn't attached to the person with the driver's license instead of the vehicles. I can only drive one car at a time. Why should I be required to have ten liability policies on ten cars if I'm only driving one?

I don't understand why liability insurance isn't attached to the person with the driver's license instead of the vehicles. I can only drive one car at a time. Why should I be required to have ten liability policies on ten cars if I'm only driving one?
EXACTLY! I have been pushing this for 10 years in GA. We have about 10 agents or brokers in the legislature that have presented this in both houses, But the personal injury lawyers shut it down. The way it is now, if YOU drive my truck and hit someone, they can sue me and you, and collect off two policies. And this kind of policy already exists. It is called Non-owned auto insurance, Like people who have lost their license, and when it it time to get them back, don't own a car. Non-owned auto covers YOU, the driver, in ANY auto you drive. Tie it to your license, not your tag. Your auto liability insurance will be rated on your age, record, credit score, etc. Doesn't matter how many cars YOU own, YOU can only drive 1 at a time. You'd get separate physical damage coverage ( comp & collision) on the vehicles you needed it on. Dang, @Travlr something else we agree on!

EXACTLY! I have been pushing this for 10 years in GA. We have about 10 agents or brokers in the legislature that have presented this in both houses, But the personal injury lawyers shut it down. The way it is now, if YOU drive my truck and hit someone, they can sue me and you, and collect off two policies. And this kind of policy already exists. It is called Non-owned auto insurance, Like people who have lost their license, and when it it time to get them back, don't own a car. Non-owned auto covers YOU, the driver, in ANY auto you drive. Tie it to your license, not your tag. Your auto liability insurance will be rated on your age, record, credit score, etc. Doesn't matter how many cars YOU own, YOU can only drive 1 at a time. You'd get separate physical damage coverage ( comp & collision) on the vehicles you needed it on. Dang, @Travlr something else we agree on!
Yeah, I admit it. You seem to be getting smarter.

If they insure a person they dont know if you are driving a $500 car or a $500,000 car. That sounds expensive.

Now, it stays with the vehicle which they know the value of, no matter who is driving.
Not saying that collision insurance wouldn't be attached to the car. Just liability would be attached to the driver instead of to every car parked in a driveway. And collision insurance should only cover the car you insure. If I'm driving a beat up '78 Ford pickup why should I pay for insurance to cover other people's choices? If someone wants to drive a new truck... let them pay the premiums to cover damage to their truck, not everyone else on the road. Basically "no fault" insurance which has been used in various states and results in lower premiums.

I don't buy collision coverage for any of my vehicles. I don't buy vehicles I can't pay cash for so they are never financed and collision isn't required.

If they insure a person they dont know if you are driving a $500 car or a $500,000 car. That sounds expensive.

Now, it stays with the vehicle which they know the value of, no matter who is driving.
The value of a specific vehicle has nothing to do with liability rating. That comes into play when you buy property coverage... called comprehensive and collision coverage. ,Or as some call it, "full" coverage.

Not saying that collision insurance wouldn't be attached to the car. Just liability would be attached to the driver instead of to every car parked in a driveway. And collision insurance should only cover the car you insure. If I'm driving a beat up '78 Ford pickup why should I pay for insurance to cover other people's choices? If someone wants to drive a new truck... let them pay the premiums to cover damage to their truck, not everyone else on the road. Basically "no fault" insurance which has been used in various states and results in lower premiums.

I don't buy collision coverage for any of my vehicles. I don't buy vehicles I can't pay cash for so they are never financed and collision isn't required.
In Texas there is a $60K minimum requirement. That covers medical and damage. Lets say you hit a rancher with his tractor and bailer and he cant work for 3 months. How far will the insurance money go? Is that his tough luck and he is responsible for his own choices?

Low liability coverage puts you at risk to be sued for the difference, it does not let you off the hook.

Latest posts