Shorthorn x Gelbveih

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
What is the first thing you think of when you read that? For me it would be milk or maternal. Probably milk.

NOT IN THIS CASE. We have a first calf heifer that IS Shorthorn x Gelbveih. Was really looking forward to seeing how she developed as a cow. She calved on Mar 12. Great mother, but it seems no milk :shock: . We have been supplementing the calf for the last couple days. Pretty sure that the milk isn't going to ever be there, but until we get a new cow for her (and we will one way or the other) the calf will stay on the heifer. Just wondering how long it might take for this heifers milk to come in? I am thinking she has what she has, and will make great steaks later on this summer. But I really am amazed that she has no milk :mad: .

We raised her, and her mama milks well, and as we got the bull from a purebred guy up the road after he was done with him as a herdsire, I can't see that as an issue (he hasn't had any problems with the daughters that we know of). Mama is purebred Shorthorn, and the sire is registered Gelbveih.

It sometimes happens that first calvers have almost no milk.

I had one last year that barely had enough for the calf to survive and she was top of the cull list, but on loading day we couldn't get her on the truck for no love nor money.

She got another chance by default and this year she is raising on of the top calves and has a beautiful udder. Her milk EBV was good and it came as a surprize last year that she didn't milk. This year she milks according to her EBV.

The gene combination just sometimes goes down the dumper. I've seen a few results from breedings that I had really high hopes for that turned out useless. We have a cow that we've bred to the same bull for 6-7 years. Steer calves are heavy, well put together and are real money makers in the feedlot. We have one daughter from her that is an exceptional cow, just calved for the second time and she is raising a real barn burner of a calf just like she did with her first calf. I have yearling full sister to her that we held back as a replacement based on the history of the previous calves. She will be going to a feeder sale pretty quick. She is one pathetic spec iman. No depth or width, I don;t think she's worth the feed she's eaten all winter. Just never developed to teh expected potentail.
In simpler terms, "sh-- happens"

dun

Well, just shy of a month later here is her calf. Maybe not the biggest calf out there, but nothing wrong with it at all. Proof that in milking matters, udder size really doesn't say it all. The heifer still doesn't have much of an udder to look at, but the proof is in the pudding.

32calfb.jpg

randiliana":uqynuiag said:
Well, just shy of a month later here is her calf. Maybe not the biggest calf out there, but nothing wrong with it at all. Proof that in milking matters, udder size really doesn't say it all. The heifer still doesn't have much of an udder to look at, but the proof is in the pudding.

32calfb.jpg

I don't understand what you are trying to say Randi - that calf in the photo makes a case for creep feed. Or adoption. Momma and the calf, they both grow wheels. Right?

The calf looks healthy and well nurished. Obviously the heifer has a tight udder but is producing enough milk. The calf has some bloom for a first calf looks OK.

Latest posts