Longhorn x Hereford Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

lindseyhamilton1121

Reaction score
Husband and I are buying a longhorn heifer next week, mainly for a pasture ornament. She is beautiful! We run a herd of black angus cows and a hereford bull. I've been doing a ton of research about longhorns, but for the life of me, can't find the answer to this question. Her calves will NOT have horns, correct? Seeing as the bull is polled and that gene will dominate? I don't really care what the calves look like, but I'm just curious if they could possibly be longhorned like mom?

lindseyhamilton1121 said:
Husband and I are buying a longhorn heifer next week, mainly for a pasture ornament. She is beautiful! We run a herd of black angus cows and a hereford bull. I've been doing a ton of research about longhorns, but for the life of me, can't find the answer to this question. Her calves will NOT have horns, correct? Seeing as the bull is polled and that gene will dominate? I don't really care what the calves look like, but I'm just curious if they could possibly be longhorned like mom?

Not if she has the African horn gene, it doesn't play by the rules. Lot of LH do carry the gene.

https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/an_sci/extension/animal/news/aug96/aug96-3.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130325160514.htm

I just started reading about the African horn gene! Thanks. I figure we wouldn't really know without testing our bull. I don't know if he's homozygous (PP) or heterozygous (Pp) for the polled gene.

Also, this may not matter to you, but it's just about impossible to breed the spots out of them. I have a heifer right now that's 1/16 Longhorn, and marked up like she was purebred.

Rafter S said:
Also, this may not matter to you, but it's just about impossible to breed the spots out of them. I have a heifer right now that's 1/16 Longhorn, and marked up like she was purebred.

I don't know that you can get rid of LH chrome, once that gene gets in the pile.

Caustic Burno said:
Rafter S said:

I don't know that you can get rid of LH chrome, once that gene gets in the pile.
Solid color or large solid areas are usually easy to get rid of the spots. Small spots it's a crap shoot.

We have 2 longhorn cows 1 had a horned calf by a registered Angus bull, and the other has had all polled calves by different Angus and Hereford bulls, until this year her calf by our new Hereford bull has horns.

kenny thomas said:
Caustic Burno said:
Rafter S said:

Solid color or large solid areas are usually easy to get rid of the spots. Small spots it's a crap shoot.

Maybe spots wasn't the exact word I should have used, but I meant the Longhorn markings in general. Here's a cow that's 1/8 Longhorn, and she's had several calves that are marked up very similar to her.

Rafter S said:
kenny thomas said:
Caustic Burno said:

Maybe spots wasn't the exact word I should have used, but I meant the Longhorn markings in general. Here's a cow that's 1/8 Longhorn, and she's had several calves that are marked up very similar to her.

Yes that marking is hard to get rid of, using a Charolais bull will take enough of that chrome away so they will sell decent.

kenny thomas said:
Rafter S said:
kenny thomas said:

Yes that marking is hard to get rid of, using a Charolais bull will take enough of that chrome away so they will sell decent.

I'd have had a hard time believing it if someone told me, but when I was using a Longhorn bull on Brangus heifers at least half the calves would be solid colored instead of showing the chrome.

Can't speak for the color markings. If the bull is homozygous polled (angus or hereford makes no difference) the calf from the LH cow will be polled. If the bull is heterozygous polled there is a 50:50 chance the calf will be polled. Takes 2 horned genes for a horned calf. Basic genetics.

My :2cents:
Farmgirl

Farmgirl said:
Can't speak for the color markings. If the bull is homozygous polled (angus or hereford makes no difference) the calf from the LH cow will be polled. If the bull is heterozygous polled there is a 50:50 chance the calf will be polled. Takes 2 horned genes for a horned calf. Basic genetics.

My :2cents:
Farmgirl

No mam not with the African horn gene it doesn't play by the rules just like their color gene.

"However, another gene, the African horn gene (Af) also affects inheritance of horns in these animals. ... In males the Af gene is dominant to the polled gene," ...
NCSU: Animal Science - Inheritance of Polledness, Horns ...

Thanks everyone. It doesn't matter what the calves look like since we'll sell or slaughter them; they won't be added to our breeding herd. Honestly, I'd rather them have horns and we could sell them to others wanting a pasture ornament like us. I took a ton of genetics classes for my B.S., but am not familiar with bovine genetics. It'll be exciting to see what the calves look like.

Caustic burno is incorrect on African Horn gene being common in the longhorns. Only a small percentage of longhorns carrying the African Horn gene and they usually have watusi in the background.

Muddy said:
Caustic burno is incorrect on African Horn gene being common in the longhorns. Only a small percentage of longhorns carrying the African Horn gene and they usually have watusi in the background.
Muddy you really need to try reading you can fix ignorance. At a minimum 15% of s LH genome is indicine.
That means everyone of them have Zebu ancestry in them.
"The polled gene (P), and the scur gene (Sc) can both be present in American cattle with Zebu ancestry. However, another gene, the African horn gene (Af) also affects inheritance of horns in these animals. ... In heterozygous polled females two of the Af genes must be present for the animal to have horns."

"The Moors brought cattle with them, and brought these African genes, and of course the European cattle were there as well. All those influences come together in the cattle of the Iberian peninsula, which were used to stock the Canary Islands, which is where Columbus stopped and picked up cattle on his second voyage and brought them to the New World."

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-03/uota-dtg032513.php

Caustic Burno said:
Muddy said:
Muddy you really need to try reading you can fix ignorance. At a minimum 15% of s LH genome is indicine.
That means everyone of them have Zebu ancestry in them.
"The polled gene (P), and the scur gene (Sc) can both be present in American cattle with Zebu ancestry. However, another gene, the African horn gene (Af) also affects inheritance of horns in these animals. ... In heterozygous polled females two of the Af genes must be present for the animal to have horns."

"The Moors brought cattle with them, and brought these African genes, and of course the European cattle were there as well. All those influences come together in the cattle of the Iberian peninsula, which were used to stock the Canary Islands, which is where Columbus stopped and picked up cattle on his second voyage and brought them to the New World."

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-03/uota-dtg032513.php
😂😂😂😂😂 Again, African Horn gene isn't that common in longhorn cattle. You're exaggerating it as usual.

Caustic Burno said:
Back it up with data Muddy or crawl back under the porch.
If leather were brains you wouldn't have enough to saddle a June bug.

Or or, ask the breeders in the longhorn groups on Facebook and they will be gladly answering your question about the African Horn gene. 💁‍♂️

Okay you're going to get your big brother to tell me it ain't so versus university studies. You really need to learn to read something other than FB. :lol2: :lol2: :bs:
If FB is your source you failing the IQ test.

Latest posts