Funnel Butts

Help Support CattleToday:

TripleB

Reaction score
Ok,
been reading this board for some time and from time to time someone will post a pic of a bull and say "what do you think?"
Sometimes someone will say "funnel butt" Now, could someone please post a pic of a few bulls with funnel butts and some with the perfect rear? I'm curious to see the difference and to know kinda what to look for.

Thanks,

Stef

Here's my take:

Funnel butt bull:
DSCF0275.JPG

One of the "steers" that was supposed to be steered before he came here. But he's a steer now.

Bull with perfect rear:
Lot79.jpg

Para-Dice Jahari 13S TWV-13S 10-13 (Simmental Full Blood-Full Fleckvieh). Sold at Lakeland College Performance Bull & Heifer Test Sale.

Tod Dague":2x2xauwd said:
Sure wish I could find a Red Angus with a butt like that!

all you have to do is select for it. of coarse, while you are getting away from breed identity you could turn them black and make the 7 frame.

Angus arent supposed to have butts like that. if you want a butt like that use a/that simmental.

I'm with you Todd...I can't see anything funnel butted about that last pic. Maybe the first pic, but not the second one.

Is this another trick question here...I'm growing weary of trick qeustions. :x

Alice

Aero":2gxhxd3y said:
Tod Dague":2gxhxd3y said:
Sure wish I could find a Red Angus with a butt like that!

all you have to do is select for it. of coarse, while you are getting away from breed identity you could turn them black and make the 7 frame.

Angus arent supposed to have butts like that. if you want a butt like that use a/that simmental.
Why aren't Angus supposed to have big butts?

Alice":15rxrkpt said:
I'm with you Todd...I can't see anything funnel butted about that last pic. Maybe the first pic, but not the second one.

Alice

I'm confused, didn't he say the second picture was a "perfect butt"?

Jogeephus":2bbjh0vg said:
Alice":2bbjh0vg said:

Alice

yeah i got confused about it too. alice, its not supposed to have a funnel butt. right iloveabeef?

What amazes me is how many funnel butts are sold at bull test sales. What I mean to say is that once they get off the high ration diets, many - not all - but many will get that hatchet butt many don't approve of. Its amazing what you can hide when you get one fat. JMO

The first pic is a scrub, undernourished sickly critter. The second pic is a well cared for animal. Got nothing to do with anything else.

did you buy a bull from Penner's AltaBeef they've raised alot of good cattle over the years. I didn't make it over to the sale this year but I usually check out the bulls a couple times throughout the test.

Jogeephus":jmmjtiop said:
Alice":jmmjtiop said:

Alice

My bad...I don't always read the little captions that go on the pictures.

Alice

cattleluvr18":1qx1t8j3 said:
Jogeephus":1qx1t8j3 said:
Alice":1qx1t8j3 said:

Alice

yeah i got confused about it too. alice, its not supposed to have a funnel butt. right iloveabeef?

Thanks, darlin'...I messed up...didn't read the captions like I should have.

Alice

mnmtranching":32cn442o said:
The first pic is a scrub, undernourished sickly critter.

Now THAT is an insult!! :shock: :x First of all, he may be a scrub, but he sure as heck ain't SICKLY or UNDERNOURISHED. He's meant to be a steer, anyway. And he is, as we speak.

Cattleluvr, you are right: he asked to post a pick of a bull with a funnel butt and then another pic with the perfect butt, so I did so.

Alice: We forgive you. :)

IluvABbeef":3dp0r6yj said:
mnmtranching":3dp0r6yj said:
The first pic is a scrub, undernourished sickly critter.

Now THAT is an insult!! :shock: :x First of all, he may be a scrub, but he sure as heck ain't SICKLY or UNDERNOURISHED. He's meant to be a steer, anyway. And he is, as we speak.

Cattleluvr, you are right: he asked to post a pick of a bull with a funnel butt and then another pic with the perfect butt, so I did so.

Alice: We forgive you. :)

Thank you, dear... :) :heart:
Alice

Tod Dague":1t8qtvp1 said:

what are the breed characteristics of Angus?
moderate size and muscling
easy calving
high marbling
above average milking and mothering
early maturity/fertility.

if you want an animal with that much rump, you will have to give up some of the other characteristics you enjoy. you cant have it all. if you make your animals more like a continental they will be more like continentals.

know your strengths and weaknesses. why did you choose Angus to begin with?

When I was a kid angus had great big square butts, but low frame scores.
Today we see a lot of funnel butts but high frame scores.

Could it be genetic selection by the breeders?
I beleive funnel butt could be bred out, and it is not just angus I have seen this in.

Aero":ldz7ckd2 said:
Tod Dague":ldz7ckd2 said:

what are the breed characteristics of Angus?
moderate size and muscling
easy calving
high marbling
above average milking and mothering
early maturity/fertility.

if you want an animal with that much rump, you will have to give up some of the other characteristics you enjoy. you cant have it all. if you make your animals more like a continental they will be more like continentals.

know your strengths and weaknesses. why did you choose Angus to begin with?
What characteristics will I have to give up?

Those are the reasons that I chose Red Angus. But I would like to see more muscle.

It wasn't that long ago that it was believed that in order to get more growth you had to have more birth weight and many still believe that. Same thing with back fat and marbling.

Here's a couple pics of Red Angus and Angus, respectively, from the same Lakeland Bull Sale as the pic of the Simmi bull was:

Lot50.jpg

Red Meadowland Mountain 77S ME 77S

Lot58.jpg

Namakwaland Alliance 140S DRCG 140S

Latest posts