Funnel Butts

Help Support CattleToday:

AltaBeef post a pic of your steers when they come off grass-we'll see how sick and malnourished he looks then lol. I think he looks just about right to go to grass with myself.

add more muscle, you will see fertiliy (early and overall) go down.

birthweight is a correlary of growth. you might find some that defy the constant, but they are few and far between. what percentage of proven AI sires have low BW with high growth? not many.

2 bulls with Acc of > .90 in the Angus Sire summary are in the bottom 10% for BW and the top 10% for YW out of 2269 bulls in the main sire summary. this is of course using single trait (BW-YW spread) selection. i am willing to bet there is something about these 2 that keeps them from being perfect.

IluvABbeef":1aml4dgx said:
Here's a couple pics of Red Angus and Angus, respectively, from the same Lakeland Bull Sale as the pic of the Simmi bull was:

the red one looks like what an Angus rump should look like.

Aero":2tlrg61v said:
add more muscle, you will see fertiliy (early and overall) go down.

birthweight is a correlary of growth. you might find some that defy the constant, but they are few and far between. what percentage of proven AI sires have low BW with high growth? not many.

2 bulls with Acc of > .90 in the Angus Sire summary are in the bottom 10% for BW and the top 10% for YW out of 2269 bulls in the main sire summary. this is of course using single trait (BW-YW spread) selection. i am willing to bet there is something about these 2 that keeps them from being perfect.
Thanks. ;-)

Frail doesn't necessary mean fertile. One of the biggest troubles Simmental breeders have up here is heifer calves getting bred while on their mothers. There's a few that routinely give a shot of Lutalyse at weaning to abort the child brides. That's a Fleckvieh simmental bull quite a bit different critter than is run more to the south of us-the high dollar replacement heifer alot of places is a Simm/red Angus or Simm/Hereford-they are a pretty good kind of cow. In the last ten years the Angus breed has bred alot of muscle out of their cattle chasing marbling-that doesn't mean it wasn't there before. not saying they need to be muscled like a Limo but they sure don't need an butt like a Jersey either.

Northern Rancher":1v3tiusg said:
Frail doesn't necessary mean fertile. One of the biggest troubles Simmental breeders have up here is heifer calves getting bred while on their mothers. There's a few that routinely give a shot of Lutalyse at weaning to abort the child brides. That's a Fleckvieh simmental bull quite a bit different critter than is run more to the south of us-the high dollar replacement heifer alot of places is a Simm/red Angus or Simm/Hereford-they are a pretty good kind of cow. In the last ten years the Angus breed has bred alot of muscle out of their cattle chasing marbling-that doesn't mean it wasn't there before. not saying they need to be muscled like a Limo but they sure don't need an butt like a Jersey either.

i dont disagree. i am just commenting on taking things to the extreme. it's the best way to make a perfectly good animal useless.

Aero":2mfxkliy said:
Northern Rancher":2mfxkliy said:

i dont disagree. i am just commenting on taking things to the extreme. it's the best way to make a perfectly good animal useless.

This can happen with any breed. Best to keep the heifers away from bulls. Nothing to do with hatchet butts. (or what ya'll are calling funnel butt)

Pretty hard to keep heifers away from bulls when your trying to get her momma bred lol. I bought the champion pen of three heifers calves at a local fall show and everyone of them had a pup in her-they calved at 14 months old so probably got bred right at end of the guys breeding season.

Latest posts