Sooner, Exiss or Featherlite

Help Support CattleToday:

circlet

Reaction score
Going to finally get rid of the old steel (sherman tank) of a stock trailer and I'm going to get a 7x24 GN aluminum one.

I've been pricing and just curious if anyone has any advice on the three brands of trailers I'm looking at. What I'm seeing is that Sooner is most expensive ($2,400 more) and the other two are about the same (within $200). I'd always been told that Sooner is the highest quality, followed by Featherlite, then Exiss - but also have been told that Sooner isn't any better than the other two, and in fact one friend told me they were plain junk.

Anyways, just curious if anyone had anything to say about any of them. Thanks

I think Exiss bought Sooner, the old ones are good.My picks are Wilson,Elite,Eby,Barrett,4star in that order. jmho

Of those 3, I'd go with the Featherlite. Mine is nice but it's loud and the rear slider sucks. My wife and father both have Ebys, they're pretty nice trailers.

Ok folks here is some info. Sooner, Exiss, and Featherlite trailers all come from Universal Trailer. If you get under them and look at the construction of the frames they are identical. They told me all the frames are made at the Universal trailer factory. http://www.universaltrailer.com/ During my investigation I was told they just skin them differently but all the stock and horse trailers are on the same frame now with Featherlite only starting in 2006.

I can't say they are any better or worse than any other trailer. They seem to be pretty popular. I have an Exiss combo/stock trailer and I love it. Like all aluminum trailers they will rattle a bit but I placed some rubber bumpers in places and it helped a lot. I have heard folks say the Exiss has a lot of problems but when I ask what kind they can't really tell me. Go figure.

I have a friend with a Eby and it is basically the same trailer as mine. I was looking for an Eby when I found this Exiss and liked it so I stopped shopping and bought it.

Look at the I-beam spacing under the trailer. In my opinion, any good aluminum trailer will have at least 3 inch I-beams spaced at 10 inches.

From their web site:
Formed in 2001, Universal acquired Exiss Aluminum Trailers, Inc. of El Reno, Okla., making Exiss our first brand. In 2002, Haulmark, headquartered in Bristol, Ind., joined the family of brands. Sooner Trailer Manufacturing Company became a part of Universal in late 2003, Miley in 2004 and Featherlite in late 2006.

flaboy":1d0sg15i said:
From their web site:
Formed in 2001, Universal acquired Exiss Aluminum Trailers, Inc. of El Reno, Okla., making Exiss our first brand. In 2002, Haulmark, headquartered in Bristol, Ind., joined the family of brands. Sooner Trailer Manufacturing Company became a part of Universal in late 2003, Miley in 2004 and Featherlite in late 2006.

That explains why Featherlite changed their side panels. The new ones look cheap to me.

flaboy":12vv6i2o said:
Look at the I-beam spacing under the trailer. In my opinion, any good aluminum trailer will have at least 3 inch I-beams spaced at 10 inches.

When I was looking at going back into custom hauling I started looking into aluminums. Every commercial guy and hotshotter that I talked to recommended cross beams at 6 inches to help prevent flex and cracking. They also heavily recommended rivetted construction versus welding as the rivets were less likely to crack or break out. And if IIRC, that meant that Wilson was about the only trailer that would meet those specifications. Of course, these guys are putting hundreds of thousands of miles on their trailers. The average rancher likely doesn't need to get _that_ gung ho on trailer specs. Although, IIRC, the Wilson wasn't far off the price of a Featherlite either.

Rod

We bought a 20' Featherlite 8127 model about 6 months ago. I also looked at the Exiss. A friend has a 24' Exiss. After talking to him, his only complaint is that the extra 6" of headroom in the Exiss was unnecessary for him, primarily due to the extra wind drag on long hauls. The standard Featherlite has a 6.5' inside height, whereas the standard Exiss has a 7' inside height. If you don't need that extra height, don't get it.
Our Featherlite only gets used about 6-8 times per month, but so far it has been a great trailer.
I suggest you do lots of shopping on the Internet to find the best deal. Also go to EBAY and check out what the dealers are willing to accept on the specific trailer you are looking for.
Good luck!
UncleLA

Just get a Featherlite - doesn't matter if they are part of a larger company or part of some holding company or any other corporate ownership deal - just get the Featherlite and drag it fast!
Also, the only reason that CF's trailer makes noise is because he ain't haulin' enough! Two snot - nosed baby holsteins won't keep it on the ground and we all know that the rear slider has NEVER seen any grease from CF! :lol:

Bullbuyer":a3a7pny1 said:
Just get a Featherlite - doesn't matter if they are part of a larger company or part of some holding company or any other corporate ownership deal - just get the Featherlite and drag it fast!
Also, the only reason that CF's trailer makes noise is because he ain't haulin' enough! Two snot - nosed baby holsteins won't keep it on the ground and we all know that the rear slider has NEVER seen any grease from CF! :lol:

Two holstein bottle babies is a potload, ain't it?

And I ain't wasting no good bacon grease on an old Cattlelack!

Only reason BB's is so quiet is it's covered in WV coal dust!

The good thing is that the coal dust is actually worth something these days!
I think the only place those holsteins qualify as a load is somewhere down in Tennessee!!

Bullbuyer":15vqtptx said:
I think the only place those holsteins qualify as a load is somewhere down in Tennessee!!

You reckon I could sell them as top show heifers??? I think they've got some salers in them.

Bullbuyer":1o07aucy said:
The best way to market those type cattle would be to call them "Alabama Simmental"! Or, you could call 'em "Florida Ayeshires".

I'm thinking you could pass them off as Zebras in Tenn if they are Holsteins.
:D

Latest posts