New or used pickup...

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Looking for a no frills light truck. F-150 2wd preferably. Killeen/Copperas Cove or Lampasas area. Probably be the last vehicle I ever buy.
Used trucks are high and new ones higher and hard to find. Better off buying new or look for a good used one? "Function over fashion" ..means I ain't particular about looks but reliability comes 1st.
If you know of a good used one, shoot me a pm.

Looking for a no frills light truck. F-150 2wd preferably. Killeen/Copperas Cove or Lampasas area. Probably be the last vehicle I ever buy.
Used trucks are high and new ones higher and hard to find. Better off buying new or look for a good used one? "Function over fashion" ..means I ain't particular about looks but reliability comes 1st.
If you know of a good used one, shoot me a pm.
Up here in snow country two wheel drive pickups are hard to sell... so probably cheaper than where you are. If you're willing to travel you might check out ksl.com for what you want.

Up here in snow country two wheel drive pickups are hard to sell... so probably cheaper than where you are. If you're willing to travel you might check out ksl.com for what you want.
When dad was cow foreman for Warren Livestock the company always gave him a new 4x4 truck every two years; the ride was wreaking havoc on his back, and he got stuck with it a lot. He had them get him a two wheel drive half ton and he didn't get stuck near as often; he was more careful what he crawled into with it.

Look on the manufacture's website and order exactly what you want. Print out the results and take it to a couple dealers to see if you can get it under MSRP. Find the best deal and wait 12 weeks for delivery. No\ frills trucks are easier to get than the loaded ones. Not as many chips. some of the small town guys are easier to deal with.

If gas prices continue upward or at least stay the same as now there should be plenty on the lots before long. Talked with two guys a few days ago that were not real happy filling up their new 50k+ gas guzzling pickups. GB just try to be patient as people will be dumping them and if nothing else turning back in.

Not sure about trucks but been looking for a piece of equipment the last several months. Used is 3/4 of new price if it is worth owning 50% of new if it is a fixer upper. Probably going to pull the trigger on a new one this week. Just cant see paying that for used. FWIW I wouldn't own a 2wd truck period. It is a cheap option that is priceless when you need it and pays for itself in resale every time. JMO

Look on the manufacture's website and order exactly what you want. Print out the results and take it to a couple dealers to see if you can get it under MSRP. Find the best deal and wait 12 weeks for delivery. No\ frills trucks are easier to get than the loaded ones. Not as many chips. some of the small town guys are easier to deal with.
Try 5 to 6 months on the wait time. New ones are going over MSRP. I think that the economy will have that changed in 2 months.

Eb, My Ram 1-Ton order to delivery was 14 weeks but that was ordered in November. There are plenty of dealers around here that will order you one for list price MSRP. I would make an offer under that or just tell them what you will pay. All they can say is no. Orders are easy money for them and gets some of these small town guys a sale that they wouldn't get otherwise because they don't have inventory. My truck was $2100 under sticker price but I had an offer for 2K going in. They were not going to get beat on a deal when I told them I would buy that day. Business will get worse going forward as the economy weakens. We have seen the top in the used vehicle market and probably real estate too.

used trucks are outrageous. Saw a 2017 f150 on a lot yesterday with 100k+ miles for $28,000. Had lots of 'extras' tho. I just want a get around daily driver type truck.
but for $28K I just as well buy a new one.

I was in a head-on wreck 3 weeks ago and destroyed my little gay Rav4 with 300K.
Bought a 2022 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and paid a king's ransom.

Good luck shopping, better if you can wait I think.

I was in a head-on wreck 3 weeks ago and destroyed my little gay Rav4 with 300K.

Glad you were not hurt in the little gay Rav4 wreck. The main thing in any wreck is being able to walk away.

I'd look for a nice 99-06 GM with the 5.3.

You're looking for probably the least desirable configuration which helps.

Doesn't seem like there's much of a middle ground with used pickups. Either junk in the 10k range or newer stuff in the 20-40k range. At that point you might as well buy new.

I'd look for a nice 99-06 GM with the 5.3.

You're looking for probably the least desirable configuration which helps.

Doesn't seem like there's much of a middle ground with used pickups. Either junk in the 10k range or newer stuff in the 20-40k range. At that point you might as well buy new.
x2

My wife has a Rav4 and really likes it.

How do you know it was gay?

We just bought a 93 S-10 4 wheel drive for $1,000. Owned by two little old ladies. Mechanically in great shape. They changed oil religiously every 3,000 miles. It only has 63,000 miles on it. The exterior looks like the old ladies might have missed the gate opening a time or three. Who needs mirrors? The interior isn't much better. But $1,000 for a little knock around 4 wheel drive pickup. We couldn't pass it up.

Latest posts