weaning moon

Help Support CattleToday:

For the past 4-5 years I have weaned and tried to castrate by moon signs, I think it is right when it is in the thighs going down. But I always look it up online at the www.almanac.com site under advice it drops down and gives you several things that are best days to?? If I wean by the "optimum" day it seems to be all over with in about 36 hours, cows go back to normal and calves quit bawling.
L Day "DFF"
By the way Tomorrow the 24th is the best day
and Dec. 2 & 3 for castrating

I know a lady who only cuts her hair in sync with the moon. I haven't done it with weaning though. Since I just have had 1 calf the past two years I've tried to get as close to 205 as I can get. Do you guys notice any difference?

Thanks for the replies, I saved the link for the almanac. I won't be able wean on those dates this fall, but I'll try it when I wean the fall calves next spring. Thanks.

Done it both ways. With fenceline weaning I never heard a difference, and we wean within 50 yards of the house.

We try to wean by the signs but sometimes we don't get to. Either, we have calves sold and need to get them pulled off the cows or the the timing just isn't right with our schedules but we usually wean by the moon as it seems to be a heck of a lot less stressful on the cows and the calves. Try to wean when the signs are in the feet or legs. You want to make sure that the sign is away from the head and heart. People think it's crazy but we see a huge difference when we wean if the sign is right. Usually about two days of bawling on the cow's and the calve's part and it's over. Seems like the calves stop stressing and go right to eating, on the other hand if we wean when the sign is in the heart or head they bawl for a week or more.

rocket2222":1405gvr4 said:
Does anybody wean calves related to the phases of the moon, if so what moon phase are you supposed to be in. Thanks.

Is this a serious question? If it is, I can understand why many cattle producers are in trouble. No disrespect, but I think science trumps myth everytime.

nap":2wzqjxtt said:
rocket2222":2wzqjxtt said:
Does anybody wean calves related to the phases of the moon, if so what moon phase are you supposed to be in. Thanks.

Is this a serious question? If it is, I can understand why many cattle producers are in trouble. No disrespect, but I think science trumps myth everytime.

So why do you think this isn't a serious question? My granddad used the almanac and planted,castrated,dehorned, and many other thing by the sign of the moon and it works very well.

Why do you think many cattle producers are in trouble? Maybe you need to step back and look at the whole picture. I think the whole country is in trouble!

nap":q2a40dry said:
rocket2222":q2a40dry said:

Reproduction of humans is tied to the phases of the moon and this is scientificly proven. If rocket2222's question hasn't been scientificly proven yet, if most likely has to do with demand and funding issues.

JHH":377b2qfi said:
nap":377b2qfi said:
rocket2222":377b2qfi said:

So why do you think this isn't a serious question? My granddad used the almanac and planted,castrated,dehorned, and many other thing by the sign of the moon and it works very well.

Why do you think many cattle producers are in trouble? Maybe you need to step back and look at the whole picture. I think the whole country is in trouble!

I'm delighted to hear that your Granddad was successful with his endeavors. Did he also believe in astrology? Show me any credible evidence that weaning calves has anything to do with the phases of the moon.

HerefordSire":3mztjgl4 said:
nap":3mztjgl4 said:
rocket2222":3mztjgl4 said:

Reproduction of humans is tied to the phases of the moon and this is scientificly proven. If rocket2222's question hasn't been scientificly proven yet, if most likely has to do with demand and funding issues.

Do you also believe that orientation of the bed determines sex in humans?

No. I believe the sex of a human depends upon the male and not the female.

HerefordSire":1xvp2oye said:

No. I believe the sex of a human depends upon the male and not the female.

That is a scientifically unarguable fact. I am not trying to start a war here, but I don't understand why we are arguing over a question that is scientifically testable, if you can find someone who has the skills to take it seriously.

That is a scientifically unarguable fact. I am not trying to start a war here, but I don't understand why we are arguing over a question that is scientifically testable, if you can find someone who has the skills to take it seriously.

I don't think we are arguing. Debates are healthy for gaining knowledge. Most of my learning is late at night when I am about to doze off. It seems like things strike me clearly all of the sudden. Do you believe county jails usuallty get full on a full moon? Do you think fish bite more frequently when moon is full? Do you think financial market prices reverse on a full moon?

HerefordSire":10b1i8og said:

I don't think we are arguing. Debates are healthy for gaining knowledge. Most of my learning is late at night when I am about to doze off. It seems like things strike me clearly all of the sudden. Do you believe county jails usuallty get full on a full moon? Do you think fish bite more frequently when moon is full? Do you think financial market prices reverse on a full moon?

I agree that debates are healthy. I have been trained and spent my working career as a scientist, so I tend to take unproven folklore with a grain of salt.
I think the take home lesson here is that there is a lot of credible science out there that we can use to improve our economic prospects without resorting to myth.

nap":3mmbnq5q said:
HerefordSire":3mmbnq5q said:

I agree that debates are healthy. I have been trained and spent my working career as a scientist, so I tend to take unproven folklore with a grain of salt.
I think the take home lesson here is that there is a lot of credible science out there that we can use to improve our economic prospects without resorting to myth.

OK. I think I see where you are coming from now. If a rancher cannot locate scientific evidence regarding the best time to wean a calf relative to the phase of the moon because of the lack of scientific evidence, then can we agree that the risk of failure is the same as if the moon was not used at all?

HerefordSire":3vdi6hq0 said:
nap":3vdi6hq0 said:
HerefordSire":3vdi6hq0 said:

OK. I think I see where you are coming from now. If a rancher cannot locate scientific evidence regarding the best time to wean a calf relative to the phase of the moon because of the lack of scientific evidence, then can we agree that the risk of failure is the same as if the moon was not used at all?

We can absolutely agree on that last statement!