Shorthorn bull Talladega ?

Help Support CattleToday:

retro

Reaction score
I was wondering if Anyone has got any calves out of the Shorty bull TALLADEGA ? I know this might sound like a stupid question , But wanted to know if there are massively big ? We bred 2 pb shorty cows to him . Just looking for some opinions about the calves Thanks :help:

Go to Steer Planet and go to The Big Show forum and do a search. You should find some good info there.

Haven't used him and don't want to give you misleading info so I agree with above-check out steerplanet for some first-hand experiences. His EPD's look terrifying though... He's in the bottom 1% for both CED and BW, 40% and 48% accuracies, respectively. -5.2 CED and a 7.9 BW.

I agree with your epd view point, this mating wasn't my choice , there is a story behind it... been using either Jake's Proud Jazz or a Jake's son but the calves would not grow, the cow has been a National division winner and keep trying to find a mating that will work for a couple flush's . Just can't seem to get it right

Do you want them to grow, or win shows? If you want growth, I'd say a Saskvalley bull or Homedale bull. If you want them to win shows, take a look at Sullivan's or Little Cedar. If you want a little of both, Jungels is the way to go. JMO

Well shorty, I guess a little of both, We don't show like we use to , this cow is a 1 of a kinda that I need to capitalize on while I can, I assume your a shorty breeder and hopefully you been in the bred long enough to follow what I saying . This cow is a 15/16 shorthorn but she is double reg. we have people that want embryo's out of her , But I want some females out of her 1st the Jake's calves that we got from her are cool and win a lot as prospects then they run out of gas at about a 1 yr.. I should have bought some Ace of Diamonds when it was plentiful.

I get what you are saying... The Sullivan genetics can grow out nicely for the end shows, but you need to throw a lot of grain at them. I had a Creole 135 steer that averaged 3.77lbs ADG to win grand champion Rate-of-gain in our county. I put a lot of grain in front of him though because he needed to be 1250-1350 by show time, which was less than 13 months after he was born... He came in at 1290 about 10 days before he reached 13 months of age. He might be worth a shot. He got a lot of compliments from people at various shows and several breeders asked about his pedigree.

I've heard some good things about Creole, JMO but 3.77 is real good for a shorty, sounds like you did it right. we ran the points shows in the IJBBA in IA. with this heifer, very long story but, But she was loved by a lot and hated by others LOL. showed a half sister to her the next yr and did very well with her too. the 1 would smell feed and get fat the other was the typical shorty I couldn't throw enough feed to her to get her in show shape, but later in the season she came on , She's a SALUTE the 1st one is a KABOOM you should be fairly close to me if your in SE MN . I appreciate the help you given me

I would look at hot commodity. He is a great low bw bull and his calves seem to come easy. Also look at BISS Element. His semen isn't available on the open market yet but you can sometimes find it in sales they donate it too. His calves are just now coming on the ground but I love the looks of that bull and seen a couple heifers out of him. Pretty awesome so far

I heard Hot Commodity was recently taken off the market? OhioFarmer, do you know of somebody we can still order it from??

I do not. But that would explain the ridiculous prices Ive seen lately. Might be able to find some distributors that still have some

Latest posts