2018 Best States To Live

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":172nqw0s said:
M-5":172nqw0s said:
Bright Raven":172nqw0s said:
My list is based on my personal experiences. I acknowledge it may conflict with the rankings.

You have not ever lived in the south .. I can reasonably predict someone would have fed your body to the hogs is you did .

Darryl. This is my opinion. I don't care whether you like it. I find that southerners are generally intolerant of ideas, values and philosophies that do not match their own. 8 times out of 10, it goes back to religious non-sense. Life is too short to waste on closeminded people.
So several million southerners are wrong and 1 kentickian is right?

I was in a vocational skills competition back in the 90's and it seems like the smartest people were from Minnesota, Massachusetts and Utah based on how well they did.

Just an observation but it did seem like those states did the best in the skills that matter.

I think Kentucky gets a bad rap in these types of lists.
Good land that is affordable, decent climate and marketing channels that are readily available.
The "circus" comes from years of one party rule in Frankfort. A capital full of government employees of one party and a one-sided media make for the appearance of turmoil when ever the other side gets in. I know many of the current "ins" personally. They are good people trying to straighten out a mess that is not of their doing.

M-5":xgos4em3 said:
Bright Raven":xgos4em3 said:
M-5":xgos4em3 said:
You have not ever lived in the south .. I can reasonably predict someone would have fed your body to the hogs is you did .

Darryl. This is my opinion. I don't care whether you like it. I find that southerners are generally intolerant of ideas, values and philosophies that do not match their own. 8 times out of 10, it goes back to religious non-sense. Life is too short to waste on closeminded people.
So several million southerners are wrong and 1 kentickian is right?

It is not a matter of being right. To prove if it is right would require a poll. It is my opinion. Just like 99 % of the stuff you post.

There was a computer program when I retired in 07. I have no clue of what the algorithms were. Arkansas and Ky came back as some of the best states to retire too.

Darryl,

Rarely can posts on this forum be called "facts". 99 % of what is posted is "commentary" or "opinion". Thus, on commentary or opinion, you cannot label it right or wrong. That is a judgement based on fact. Or for religious followers, the doctrine they follow.

Opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Commentary: an expression of opinions or offering of explanations about an event or situation.

Fact: a thing that is indisputably the case.

Truth: that which is in accordance with fact or reality.

Caustic Burno":jkdfhm4v said:
There was a computer program when I retired in 07. I have no clue of what the algorithms were. Arkansas and Ky came back as some of the best states to retire too.

I have seen Kentucky listed several times. The primary reason is because Kentucky has a formula that excludes most retirement annuity income. For example, I exclude about 80 percent of my federal annuity. Thus, it puts me below the threshold for paying a state income tax. That is a very attractive benefit for retirees.

I'm just going to stay put right where I am. It's the best place for me. If I didn't think so I would have moved somewhere else long ago. Never understood why anyone would live in a place they disliked.

TexasBred":3eubgg69 said:
I'm just going to stay put right where I am. It's the best place for me. If I didn't think so I would have moved somewhere else long ago. Never understood why anyone would live in a place they disliked.

It happens. I have a friend who I worked with in Helena, MT. He was about 4 years behind me. Raised near Mitchell, SD. He and his wife decided to move somewhere out of the northern winters. They retired to Florida in 2014. They hate it. (No offense M-5). But at 65, they are too deeply invested and age does not treat moving kindly. He tells me they made a mistake but not one that is easy to fix.

Bright Raven":gzwp8uqq said:
TexasBred":gzwp8uqq said:

It happens. I have a friend who I worked with in Helena, MT. He was about 4 years behind me. Raised near Mitchell, SD. He and his wife decided to move somewhere out of the northern winters. They retired to Florida in 2014. They hate it. (No offense M-5). But at 65, they are too deeply invested and age does not treat moving kindly. He tells me they made a mistake but not one that is easy to fix.
Non taken , there are 4 distinct floridas so they picked wrong one.

M-5":2paw3wpp said:
Bright Raven":2paw3wpp said:
TexasBred":2paw3wpp said:

Non taken , there are 4 distinct floridas so they picked wrong one.

Same here M-5 If you change "Texas" to "Dallas" it should be on the bottom of the list followed by Austin, then San Antone, then Houston.

I could retire to Navarre Beach, Florida just fine.

Son of Butch":2ub0bg8b said:
based on 75 metrics

1. Iowa
2. Minnesota (as always the bridesmaid)

10. Colorado
11. Wisconsin
15. Florida
17. Hawaii
23. North Carolina
26. Tennessee
29. Kansas
31. Georgia
36. Texas
41. Kentucky
43. Oklahoma
45. Arkansas
46. Alabama

49. Mississippi
50. Louisiana

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

5 worst based on crime per capita
46. Delaware
47. Arkansas
48. Louisiana
49. New Mexico
50. Alaska

least crime
1. Maine
2. New Hampshire

best infrastructure
1. Iowa
2. North Dakota

49. Mississippi
50. West Virginia

Quality of Life
1. North Dakota
2. Minnesota

49. New Jersey
50. California

In your dreams

I am moving from Washington to Oregon. According to this list that is a move in the wrong direction but I have news for them. Here I am on the edge of town. Down there I will be 6 or 7 miles out of basically a ghost town. The east side of this property is a main highway. The directions to the new place include it is the second place past the end of the pavement. And the third place is another 15 miles or so. The old place on the coast was about 20 miles from the state capital. This place is 30 form the county seat and probably 350 miles from the state capital. There are deer and elk and occasionally bighorn sheep in the hay field. Trout in the river that flows through the fields. So how is Washington a better place to live?

Dave":2ssa9cd3 said:
I am moving from Washington to Oregon. According to this list that is a move in the wrong direction but I have news for them. Here I am on the edge of town. Down there I will be 6 or 7 miles out of basically a ghost town. The east side of this property is a main highway. The directions to the new place include it is the second place past the end of the pavement. And the third place is another 15 miles or so. The old place on the coast was about 20 miles from the state capital. This place is 30 form the county seat and probably 350 miles from the state capital. There are deer and elk and occasionally bighorn sheep in the hay field. Trout in the river that flows through the fields. So how is Washington a better place to live?

Dave, as you know it all depends on what you call living.

greybeard":1nyjuw1f said:
About the only place I would never live again is Memphis Tenn.
I have only been through Memphis once in the middle of the night and never stopped, so I cannot vouch one way or the other, but I have met a lot of people with your opinion of Memphis. I meet a lot of people in Mountain City from Memphis. They all have the same reason for moving: "Mountain City is as far away from Memphis as you can get from Memphis and still be in Tennessee." It must be pretty rough.

Latest posts