4000 psi, 5 gallons chlorine will get you....

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

4000 psi from a pressure washer and 5 gallons chlorine will not only get you a clean hog pen, but will also help you freeze your arse off if its 32 degrees out. Now that the pigs are gone i went out to pressure wash the whole pen. Except there was ice in my pump and all my hoses. That was fun.
Even though i rinsed it out regular theres something about crushed corn and wheat middlins and whatever else was in the feed that once damp turns into a glue that sticks to concrete. Sticks as in it took as much effort to get that off as it does 20 year old carpet glue. I have a tip that will strip good paint off concrete, and cut the concete at the same time. Thats the tip i had to use.
Funny thing about pressure washing around corners. You get splattered. Now, where do pigs do their business? In corners.
Got it all cleaned up, ready for the next set to start. Stripped down to my skivvies outside for obvious reasons, and took a nice hot shower. In the end this was the final product. Thats 10 year old hog pen lumber youre looking at. Id say its holding up pretty well
photo-43.jpg

If you put a gutter in that runs out one side they'll use the gutter 99% of the time. Wash down the gutter every couple of days and they'll catch on in no time.

Looks good Hook, how ya smelling now :help: . Dun, that's what I was thinking too. I am reluctant to compare pigs to humans but I swear you would see a difference if a bunch of people were penned. Pigs are one of the cleanest animals (if not the cleanest) on the planet, give them a place to do their business and they will use it.

Theres a small one on the back side of the pic but its not enough. I was thinking of cutting out a 12 inch strip along that far wall and putting a run of 12 inch pipe cut in half in the ditch. Enough slope to run out to the right side of the pic. Then concrete back to the pipe securing it in place. 12" might be too deep though. Dont want them getting hurt in a gutter too big.
Alison i smell much better now thanks. Lol

Nice clean pen, Hook! They do get to go outside too, don't they?

Did you have fun loading them? I've always heard that pigs are the most difficult animals to load. And that they're terribly smart. Hope you gave them a farewell hard-boiled egg!

Maybe someone can tell me why, if pigs are so intelligent, they cannot be trained to lead on a halter? I always see them being 'herded' at the fair, with canes and boards, etc.

So, we're about ready to see more interesting things on the grill soon, yes?

Gale, pugs are too stubborn to halter train. They loaded easy enough with the chute and a peice of roofing tin for blocking them. Far easier than all the previous times ive had to load pigs. Took 15 minutes to load 3 pigs and a steer so not too bad at all.
They live their lives in the pen. Although a short life. No eggs for them before the ride.
Im sure there will be more pics of some pork products soon

You gotta post going about not holding your sneezes. They you come up with 4000 psi and 5 gallons. You're making me wonder! :D

Put the 2 post together and you got whats happens on chili dinner night

Our pen was 12 X 6 withthe gutter 2 feet inside the front running lenghtwise into a pit. The gutter was scuare bottomed and 12 inches wide and 4 inches deep. I had the water nipple set up at one end of the gutter so that if it leaked it would be into the gutter. One thing I learned was if you're haning over the fence fixing the nipple, don;t smack a pig in the chops with a hickory pig cane to get it to quit messing with you. It will chew that cane into splinters in a heart beat and leave you holding a very short stick!

A good trick for loading a hog is to put a 5 gallon bucket on their head and they will walk backwards and you can guide their butt where you want them to go. Seriously, try it and you'll thank me!

Haha Steve. I might try that just for fun.
Gale dont worry. Ill give em one egg afterward. But only one and theyll have to split it. Gotta get more pigs first tho

ohiosteve":29f47rnt said:
A good trick for loading a hog is to put a 5 gallon bucket on their head and they will walk backwards and you can guide their butt where you want them to go. Seriously, try it and you'll thank me!

Never heard that one, Steve. I had a chute and a week or so before I was going to load them I backed the trailer up and started feeding them in it. Never had a problem after they got used to it.

slick4591":adp92ghm said:
ohiosteve":adp92ghm said:

Never heard that one, Steve. I had a chute and a week or so before I was going to load them I backed the trailer up and started feeding them in it. Never had a problem after they got used to it.
The bucket over the head is the oldest pig moving trick in the world. Probably because it works!

Well ill have to try iy sometime.
This loading was far easier than the last one that i posted about.

Latest posts