5 day cidr program

Help Support CattleToday:

bse

Reaction score
i read in sim talk a new sync program where you leave the cidr in for 5 days and 2 shots of prostaglandin the second 2 hours after the first says they get 10% better conception on heifiers using this just wondering if anyone has tried this method.

I've never used this program. It seems to me this was mentioned several months ago and still sounds nutz, at least to me. I don't understand what you gain by giving prostaglandin 2 hours apart. If it worked two hours ago the second shot will do nothing. If it didn't work 2 hours ago what would have changed in that small of a time span? Further if your using Estrumate it is advertised that it has a half-life of 3 hours whereas (according to Estrumate's ad) Lutalyse is only a couple minutes. Personally I would skip the CIDR and give all the heifers prostaglandin. Breed anything that comes into heat. Give the ones that didn't come into heat the second shot of prostaglandin at 7-11 days after the first shot and breed anything coming into heat. Theoretically you should get every animal to come into heat within a time span of about 15 or 16 days max. You would save yourself the cost of the CIDR and should have some good strong heats with very good conception rates. The only thing you are losing is maybe 8 or 9 days when using your CIDR protocol. I have used CIDR's the past 2 years and was very disappointed with the results. Others have reported success. Use the information as you will, it's just my 2 cents.

thanks for the reply novaman im not able to just watch for heat so i have to sync them to narrow the window i use timed A.I. and patch them so i know and can kinda plan my scedule. but im with you on the 2 shots of prostiglandin not sure how it works (better) but the 10% increase on heifiers caught my eye.

thanks for the reply Whitecow i think im gonna try it this time. could you tell if it was any better than the 7 day with one shot of prostoglanden?

bse":wn575gcw said:
thanks for the reply Whitecow i think im gonna try it this time. could you tell if it was any better than the 7 day with one shot of prostoglanden?

I've only used it twice so far, but the initial pregnancy rates were slightly higher - around 70% on about 20 heifers each time.

The two shots are not 2 hours apart.

I have not yet used it but If I recall correctly the two shots are 12 hours apart.

the research for this new protocol so far has been very promising in terms of conceptions.

pdfangus":17r58uu1 said:
The two shots are not 2 hours apart.

I have not yet used it but If I recall correctly the two shots are 12 hours apart.

the research for this new protocol so far has been very promising in terms of conceptions.
The shots or 8 hours + or - 2 hours ---- so 6-10 hours apart.

whitecow":wwuof3f8 said:
bse":wwuof3f8 said:

I've only used it twice so far, but the initial pregnancy rates were slightly higher - around 70% on about 20 heifers each time.
I guess I'm surprised there is a noticeable difference. Any ideas why a shot 6-10 hours apart would make a difference physiologically? I understand where a TAI would be necessary for bse and others that can't observe heats but for those that could observe heats, what would be the advantage of using this sync program? I would hate to run heifers through the chute 4 times just to get 1 breeding.

Yes, it does mean a lot of times through the chute, but the higher preg rates and the way the schedule fits with my availability at the farm means its worth it for us. We've used this protocol a couple of times to AI heifers and several times to sync recips. I can help Dad gather up all of the girls and put the CIDRs in on the weekend. He pulls the CIDRs and gives shots at the appropriate times during the week. I am there on the next weekend to AI or 2 weekends later to transfer embryos. It is a lot of handling but so far so good for us.

im definetly gonna use it on my hiefiers this fall i like what everyone is saying about the better conception rates. a friend of mine done a little expieriment on cows tried the 5 day with one shot of lut didnt work to well. thanks for all your replys and like i said ill be using this in the fall.

bse":2v0pvcuw said:
im definetly gonna use it on my hiefiers this fall i like what everyone is saying about the better conception rates. a friend of mine done a little expieriment on cows tried the 5 day with one shot of lut didnt work to well. thanks for all your replys and like i said ill be using this in the fall.
Be sure to let us know how it turns out for you. I've grown to dislike CIDR's but if everybody is having the success they are claiming and you back that up, I may have to reconsider.

ive been using cidrs for a couple of years now with great sucess at least getting them in heat and syncronized which is the only way i can get them done ive only used the 10 day tai with the 7 day cidr but i do use 7cc lut on cows instead of 5cc. then i do watch for heat and breed am or pm.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3qjooisa said:
I have GREAT success getting cattle to cycle (show heat). But, I DON'T have much success as far as conception. CIDR's definately make them cycle, but they may not have a viable egg.
Well than lets work together because my problem is the exact opposite.

I only have a few cows now so what I can do and what I would advise are two different things.

I am going to try the 6G6 protocol on my cows and heifers this fall.

here is a link to an article about it that describes it.

I just do not like CIDRS and I like the 6G6 because I have in herd proof that presynchrony enhances conceptions and this is basically a presynchrony and synchrony program.

http://www.dairyherd.com/repro.asp?ts=ra2&pgID=724&ed_id=6818

Jim, I agree this looks like a better program - but COSTLY!
They hit on the problem with CIDRS,the follicles can get OLD (stale). ---"The younger, yet mature follicle should be more fertile, which should increase conception rates". With the CIDR, the cow's follicle is essentially "put on hold" til you pull the CIDR, so when she ovulates she comes into a good standing heat, but the egg isn't "fresh" enough to get fertilized.
Kinda like a fertilized chicken egg that sat around for a while, then you try to incubate it --- Doesn't hatch because it gets too old.

tncattle467":1f6th56w said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1f6th56w said:
Jim, I agree this looks like a better program - but COSTLY!
They hit on the problem with CIDRS,the follicles can get OLD (stale). ---"The younger, yet mature follicle should be more fertile, which should increase conception rates". With the CIDR, the cow's follicle is essentially "put on hold" til you pull the CIDR, so when she ovulates she comes into a good standing heat, but the egg isn't "fresh" enough to get fertilized.
Kinda like a fertilized chicken egg that sat around for a while, then you try to incubate it --- Doesn't hatch because it gets too old.

I have several cows each year. (Five thus far) that have dropped two calves in the same year or within a 12 month period instead of the normal 18 months. For example two calved in january of 08 and both calved again in december 08. We are talking old cows 10 years old and younger some older than 10. I asked my vet/embryologist about it and he said it could be that your mineral program is right where it needs to be. He said cattle that have a poor mineral program or are lacking in minerals do not breed back as good. Whether this is true or not I have the slightest idea. It does make sense. Since he is the expert I will listen to him.

Having that happen is really not THAT uncommon. I've seen it numerous times. Why do you have cows calve in 18 months instead of 12? That just seems like too long for a cow to be open to be profitable.

Latest posts