6 month old heifer with cough

Help Support CattleToday:

Walking W

Reaction score
I am 2 months into my first attempt at raising a couple of heifers on my small place NW of Ft Worth. The 4 month old has developed a cough and I see some green snot at times on her nose. Also, she does seem to be getting a little thinner. I have no records of previous vaccinations or worming on her. Should I call a vet or is it possibly something I can deal with?

Since you don;t know her history and you'll need the vet for serious antibiotics, I would call a good large animal vet. That should address several things. First it will put your mind at ease, second it will help the heifer and third and maybe most importantly, it will start a relationship with the vet.

Get a vet to come look, but I'm going to guess it's just been the change in recent weather and not really a big deal. But you need to have a relationship with the vet if you are going to be raising stuff.

You will need to develop a relationship with a good large animal veterinarian in order to get medications that have to be prescribed. The over the counter antibiotics just not potent enough to work on the upper respiratory problems we see. The warm days and cool nights contribute to this. Any time you get 35 to 40 degree swings between day time highs and night time lows start looking for problems.

Thanks for the quick reply folks. I hear the local large animal vet is partially retired but may still make a house call. I'll give it a try tomorrow. If he can't, I'm sure he can recommend someone.

Latest posts