67% Fat supplement, what's the best use?

Help Support CattleToday:

Otha

Reaction score
I Finally had a wet chemistry analysis done on some pecans that are available to me. This is a sample of 100% pecan pieces. What I have available is different mixes of pecans and pecan shell from 5-25% shell. I figured it would be easier to test 100% pecan and then do the math for the product with different amounts of shell. Anyway what use is a high fat, high energy supplement? Every class of cattle I have right now could use some extra energy but I don't know much about the energy from fat. I've got pairs and soon to have some weaned calves. How would you use this supplement assuming it's affordable?

1663785325224.png

I wouldn't begin to be able to answer your question, but was Ithaca New York the closest lab that could do your analysis?

You can't feed much fat to cows without decreasing the rumen's ability to digest forage. The upper end of the recommended range would be 4% of the total dry matter consumed. It might be hard to manage if you don't have a way to mix it with something else.

I wouldn't begin to be able to answer your question, but was Ithaca New York the closest lab that could do your analysis?
I've tried two labs in Texas and didn't have a good experience. A dairy friend recommended Dairy One and so far they have been very helpful. They also performed a wet chemistry test quicker than A&M could do a NIR test. Took almost 3 weeks to get a NIR hay sample back from A&M.

You can't feed much fat to cows without decreasing the rumen's ability to digest forage. The upper end of the recommended range would be 4% of the total dry matter consumed. It might be hard to manage if you don't have a way to mix it with something else.
I knew there was a limit. Seems like Purina has a 10% fat block they sell but I understand the forage consumed brings to overall percentage of fat down. If 4% is the hard limit most commercial feeds I've seen have that much in them already so it wouldn't be much use.
One idea I had was mixing it with salt and putting it out free choice like people do with cotton seed meal. Might try running the numbers on 25% pecan, 25% cotton seed meal and 50% salt. That would get lots of protein and energy into some calves on dormant forage this winter.

Latest posts