? About a swollen first calf heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Had a heifer to calve early in the morning hours yesterday as it is now 12 am. so under 24 hrs. Did not see her calving went out and found the calf on the ground. I'm thinking it was a difficult birth even though she had it. The calf is large. The heifer is a Hereford yet looked more like a Brahman as far as how she was springing. She still hasn't shed her afterbirth, and when laying down she looks to have a lot pressure back there almost basketball sized. It doesn't look quite as bad when she gets up, but still swollen. She ate this evening, but tonight she doesn't appear to be well at all. Could she have been injured internally calving?

Had a heifer to calve early in the morning hours yesterday as it is now 12 am. so under 24 hrs. I'm thinking it was a difficult birth even though she had it. The calf is large. She still hasn't shed her afterbirth..... She ate this evening, but tonight
she doesn't appear to be well at all.
Retained placentas are a symptom of inadequate mineral programs.
So reviewing your mineral program is always a good idea.

Get her in the chute to examine and Take Her Temperature.
I'm thinking infection and need for antibiotic treatment vs injury.
Only exam can tell you... online diagnosis can't hold a candle to hands on.

Last edited:
Had a heifer to calve early in the morning hours yesterday as it is now 12 am. so under 24 hrs. Did not see her calving went out and found the calf on the ground. I'm thinking it was a difficult birth even though she had it. The calf is large. The heifer is a Hereford yet looked more like a Brahman as far as how she was springing. She still hasn't shed her afterbirth, and when laying down she looks to have a lot pressure back there almost basketball sized. It doesn't look quite as bad when she gets up, but still swollen. She ate this evening, but tonight she doesn't appear to be well at all. Could she have been injured internally calving?
You're going to have to get her in and check her. If it's just after birth, a shot of Oxytocin may help her kick it. Otherwise wait another day or so and clean her, a shot of LA 300, and some interuterin boluses.

Hope it's that simple. I suppose it could be a breach twin holding things in their. Got to check her to find out.

Thanks for the responses. Checked her, best I can tell it's just afterbirth. She seems to be looking some better. Gave her some LA 200, and Lutalyse.

Latest posts