AKAUSHI

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I saw them for the first time on RFD TV last night. This breeder says that in 10 years they will have taken over the market in the US, putting the CAB program out of business. Dude said he sold 500 of these bulls in the US so far this year. Their website says they don't just offer a registry, but a complete marketing program for their members. American Akaushi Association

There was an interesting legal fight between them and one of the Koch brothers a few years ago. You should be able to Google it. Basically Koch couldn't call his cattle Akaushi unless he marketed through Heartbrand. Apparently that was in the fineprint when he bought his large herd from Heartbrand. I assume Heartbrand had gotten rid of that since then. Not completely sure though. I just see people direct marketing their Akaushi beef, so I assume they've gotten rid of that clause.

This breeder says that in 10 years they will have taken over the market in the US, putting the CAB program out of business. American Akaushi Association
I believe they have said that every year since before 2009.
Their literature isn't dated, but I talked with them about their program about
7 or 8 years ago.

Last edited:
What I've read about them sounded good, but that was coming from breeders so of course they made them sound good.

With that said, there is a big charolais breeder about 30-40 minutes away from me that runs their cattle out in the desert. A few years ago they got started with the akaushi. There is a highway that goes through one of their pastures and I saw a handful of the akaushi pairs. They were in good condition and the calves looked pretty nice. If they can do well out in that range, then I would think they'd be alright. I'm not sure if they're selling any bulls at their charolais sale or not. I might have to dig a little deeper this spring. I'll see if I can dig up any pictures. I don't remember if I have any or not

Akaushi are supposed to grow just like American beef cattle. They also look similar to American beef cattle, as opposed to black wagyu.

From my limited experience with the F1's (approaching 20 head now) I think the first cross is comparable to whatever breed they are used on in regards to growth. That being said, from my experiences, they do in fact increase quality grade significantly and consistently. I'm not necessarily interested in building a registered herd just yet, but I do think they will approach kitchen table status in the next decade. I do not think they'll put any breed or marketing program out of business, but they will become a player at some point in the game (on a national level). They do take a little longer to finish, but the first ones I harvested "early" with my Angus and Simangus calves all graded high choice and prime (by my standards). The most consistent thing about the breed is their boost in marbling/quality grades. On my cows, they neither added nor took away frame. If bred to a large frame cow, the calf was large frame...smaller framed cows produced smaller framed calves. One inconsistency I did see was with disposition. Some of my calmest cows (too calm at times) had some high headed calves. MOST (90%) were calm as cucumbers, but the others were a bit flighty. They weren't mean or aggressive, just well aware of their surroundings and restless in tight spots. They weren't fence jumpers or rodeo stock, just wanted to get as far from you as they could if they smelled a rat. I've decided that the sweet spot for the heifers is between 18-20mos, while steers are 20-22 mos, depending on frame. I'm no nutritionist, nor do I claim to have the best finishing ration, so a more experienced person could probably shave those times quite a bit. We direct market all of ours, so I get to see every cross and how it has panned out in the end. I think the best cross has been on the Simangus cows. They've all been good, but those SA cows just produced a calf that checked every box on our operation.
In regards to the females, I've only had the guts to retain 2, out of my highest milking cows. They are nursing their first calves now, but I have not had to supplement them any more than usual. My wet 2's always get the best stockpiled fescue until it runs out. I give them a 3 way commodity mix about once or twice a week to keep them friendly in the corrals for breeding season. They are nursing calves from GAR Sure Fire at the moment, and those calves are doing fine...no dinks here. The F1 heifers did take a hit in milk from their mothers, but I feel like it's still too early to tell exactly how much milk they knocked out of their dams since they are first timers. I think as they mature into cows, they'll probably be about right for my environment. Time will tell there.
Attached is a couple ribeyes from an F1 heifer. She was a CharXAngus cow mated to Akaushi. Our customers have been raving about how good the meat is and we've already got deposits on all of our 2021 Akaushi cross calves and are about to start booking the 2022 come spring. I think if you direct market, this breed will set you apart from your competition. If you are selling fats, the whole time on feed thing may get costly depending on the carcass premiums paid for QG,etc. I'm not a grassfed, grass finished producer, but I have seen some folks that have taken the F1's to finish on grass at 28-30 mos. and the marbling is impressive for a grassfed beef. To each their own, but I plan to keep breeding a few each year to sell direct. At $4.95/#HCW on a 750-850# carcass, I've got room to be a little sloppy in my management as long as I've got folks begging to be put on our list. Good luck if you try them, I've certainly been pleasantly surprised at how well they have done in the heat, cold, fescue, etc.. They are worth a look. If you do try them, keep us posted on this thread!

Attachments

• AKheifer10.jpg
    AKheifer10.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 28
Bill Fielding, CEO of HeartBrand Beef, says last year the company's beef graded about 35% Prime and 88% Choice, with less than 2% grading Select. Most of the Select grades, he says, came with the southern cattle they procured.

I'm confused.

Bill Fielding, CEO of HeartBrand Beef, says last year the company's beef graded about 35% Prime and 88% Choice, with less than 2% grading Select. Most of the Select grades, he says, came with the southern cattle they procured.

I'm confused.
Doesn't seem all to impressive, really. I would think the breeding selection for quality grade, using something like Akuashi, or Waygu would push past 35% prime? I think current nation wide beef cutout is at ~15% prime.

I saw them for the first time on RFD TV last night. This breeder says that in 10 years they will have taken over the market in the US, putting the CAB program out of business. Dude said he sold 500 of these bulls in the US so far this year. Their website says they don't just offer a registry, but a complete marketing program for their members. American Akaushi Association

Hello -

New poster, just saw this thread and figured I'd give my 2 cents. We have been breeding AI to Akaushi for a couple years now, our first steers will be going to the butcher in the next month or so ... I had to sell my first bull calves because didn't have any locker appts.

On the whole have been really impressed with the cattle, the F1s anyways grow fast and look pretty good. I started my herd with junk cows, just cheap diary beef cross or procross cows. And it would seem the Akaushi influence does well.

The heifers seem very fertile as well, I have 10 from my first year calving and they all bred on first service AI except 1, and they all were bred by 12 months old. My goal is to get a herd bred up and polled, as I'm using polled semen. Am excited to get my first F2s this summer and to see how the meat from the first steers turns out.

Pics:

Red Steer is 15 months old (weighed 1190 at the end of Dec)
Black Steer is 14 months old (weighted 1150 at the end of Dec, think he is probably overtaken the red one by now)

Attachments

• s7.2.jpg
    s7.2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 25
  • s7.4.jpg
    s7.4.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 26
  • s61.jpg
    s61.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
  • s62.jpg
    s62.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 25
Hello -

New poster, just saw this thread and figured I'd give my 2 cents. We have been breeding AI to Akaushi for a couple years now, our first steers will be going to the butcher in the next month or so ... I had to sell my first bull calves because didn't have any locker appts.

On the whole have been really impressed with the cattle, the F1s anyways grow fast and look pretty good. I started my herd with junk cows, just cheap diary beef cross or procross cows. And it would seem the Akaushi influence does well.

The heifers seem very fertile as well, I have 10 from my first year calving and they all bred on first service AI except 1, and they all were bred by 12 months old. My goal is to get a herd bred up and polled, as I'm using polled semen. Am excited to get my first F2s this summer and to see how the meat from the first steers turns out.

Pics:

Black Steer is 14 months old (weighted 1150 at the end of Dec, think he is probably overtaken the red one by now)
Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forumns. Where are you located? What were the dams of these 2 steers?

Hello -

Pics:

Hello
My first real post here. I am trying to do the same as you Akaushi polled herd. I have six AK cows and six black angus heifers bred to AK bull, calves due May -June. Will AI and embryo transplant with Dos Equis semen.

Hello
My first real post here. I am trying to do the same as you Akaushi polled herd. I have six AK cows and six black angus heifers bred to AK bull, calves due May -June. Will AI and embryo transplant with Dos Equis semen.
That's cool. I bought some Dos Equis as well, not sure when I'll get my semen though? Pretty crazy what his half interest brought on auction!

I have some half blood homo-polledsout of King David as wel.

good luck!

That's cool. I bought some Dos Equis as well, not sure when I'll get my semen though? Pretty crazy what his half interest brought on auction!

I have some half blood homo-polledsout of King David as wel.

good luck!
How is the calves out of King David? I am thinking of using his semen on my herd.

Latest posts