automatic waterers are now froze

Help Support CattleToday:

After this winter, I am motivated to look at replacing my current waterers.
What brand and style do you think is ideal for 180 head in the north?

Stocker Steve":2f417psn said:
After this winter, I am motivated to look at replacing my current waterers.
What brand and style do you think is ideal for 180 head in the north?
If you can get electric to them, the Ritchie heated system is great. They have SS basins with a heating element spot welded underneath. System uses a thermostat to set temperature you want heat.

I have no experience maintaining that many head. Will they all drink at same location in the winter?
I presently have the Mirafount with 6 balls. I have had Ritchie waterers in the past and they were pretty good. But, no matter what you have, I strongly recommend having electricity for some sort of heating element. Although they say if you have enough head constantly drinking, they "should" stay thawed.
If you can't have electricity, be sure to check out your "thawing" options.

I have two main herds on two RIchie heated troughs. They were original purchased for seasonal stocker use and they worked well for that. I have since added some insulation, but they still have a lot of exposed surface area.

can't beat cobbett.. no electric required. takes me about 10 seconds to get the ice out even @ -14

I have had a mirafount for just over 20 years I believe and have never touched it other than cleaning. It has the balls on it like Jeanne's but I take them out in the summer.

The thing I keep reading about Cobett's is how easy they are to get the ice out so cows can drink. I personally would rather have something that won't ice up in the first place.

ChrisB":3n75tmqb said:
I have had a mirafount for just over 20 years I believe and have never touched it other than cleaning. It has the balls on it like Jeanne's but I take them out in the summer.

The thing I keep reading about Cobett's is how easy they are to get the ice out so cows can drink. I personally would rather have something that won't ice up in the first place.

Every automatic I've encounter has froze up without a heater.

My neighbors all have ritchies and mirafounts.. all one big block of ice w/o a heater.

We have been using Canarm for quite awhile on our pressure systems, they are a great waterer. But like any waterer they do need to be installed properly. We just replaced a couple of really old ones, and did a better job this time of the install taking the time to sprayfoam around the bottom inside where they meet the concrete. The only freeze-up this winter was when the breaker tripped for the pump in the pump house. And this winter we have seen more -40 weather than we have in years.
We have used the exhaust hose from pickup to trough a lot in the past, very effective.

ddd75":3pelykbd said:
ChrisB":3pelykbd said:

My neighbors all have ritchies and mirafounts.. all one big block of ice w/o a heater.

Sorry, should have mentioned that both my waterer's have heaters. I would never install one without unless there was no way to get electricity to it.

ChrisB":3aqmz2et said:
ddd75":3aqmz2et said:
ChrisB":3aqmz2et said:

Sorry, should have mentioned that both my waterer's have heaters. I would never install one without unless there was no way to get electricity to it.

Oh.. OK.. fully heated and it doesn't ice up?? wow.. who would have thought :lol2:

Please don't downplay my cobbetts in the middle of the field with wind blowing on them and negative temps for weeks and they are still flowing fine. WITH NO HEAT / NO COSTS TO RUN. :banana:

ddd75":1ax1jyyi said:
Please don't downplay my cobbetts in the middle of the field with wind blowing on them and negative temps for weeks and they are still flowing fine. WITH NO HEAT / NO COSTS TO RUN. :banana:

In Kentucky....

The Cobett trough sure looks sturdy, but I would guess that 3 or more inches of ice in the morning encasing that float could be problematic.

angus9259":1jksmq9n said:
ddd75":1jksmq9n said:

In Kentucky....

Haha. Couple of days of negatives maybe, but weeks. Lol

chevytaHOE5674":gp65hbx2 said:
angus9259":gp65hbx2 said:
ddd75":gp65hbx2 said:

In Kentucky....

He no longer lives in KY as I understand it but why he hasn't changed his profile is beyond me.

TennesseeTuxedo":1wg92pvz said:
chevytaHOE5674":1wg92pvz said:
angus9259":1wg92pvz said:
In Kentucky....

He no longer lives in KY as I understand it but why he hasn't changed his profile is beyond me.

TT. He has moved to Ohio. Not far north of Maysville where I am. Temperatures have been below normal for three weeks, since Christmas but only a few mornings below zero.

I think the fella that invented those did so over in Iowa.. I know it gets dam cold in the northern half of that state come winter...one year in Iowa was more than enough for me.

Latest posts