Bad luck keeps on coming

Help Support CattleToday:

So the neighbors bull is back. Chased him around for about an hour before I could get him caught in my pen. He went thru two fences this time. When I contact the owner should I suggest hauling it to the sale barn for him or talk hard about other fencing options. He just has a small 30 acre hobby farm with about 8 cows. Really nice guy but I'm tired of fixing fences. My old bull has gone thru his fence also before so it's gone both ways but the loss of my last bull still has a bad taste in my mouth. I haven't told him about my bull yet but guess today is the day. Any suggestions on how I should handle this?

One big question; don't know if you addressed this before...are you in a fence in or a fence out state or county? That might make a difference on how to handle it...
And for pete's sake, don't turn that bull out until you make sure if you have insurance on your new bull, if it includes getting hurt by a neighbor's bull that goes through fences and hurts him...

Just to put it out there... Fencing issues are handled so differently in different states that it's kind of strange, IMO. In SD we had a rule that any fence was the responsibility of the person... from the mid point and to the right. So the person across the fence was responsible for the fence, mid point and to the left... as that would be to the right to them.

So the neighbors bull is back. Chased him around for about an hour before I could get him caught in my pen. He went thru two fences this time. When I contact the owner should I suggest hauling it to the sale barn for him or talk hard about other fencing options. He just has a small 30 acre hobby farm with about 8 cows. Really nice guy but I'm tired of fixing fences. My old bull has gone thru his fence also before so it's gone both ways but the loss of my last bull still has a bad taste in my mouth. I haven't told him about my bull yet but guess today is the day. Any suggestions on how I should handle this?

I'd tell him about your bull... complete with pics. Personally I'd have invited him over to look at the dead bull. And then I'd keep my mouth shut and see what he has to say.

Well I had him locked up in my barn. Had a gate held shut with some baling twine but he broke out of there into a pen with some feeders. I had some hay to get up so left him be in there. He tore up a net wire fence and is now back on the neighbors property. Just put that fence up a month ago also. Going to have a nice conversation with him tomorrow and politely tell him if he tears up another fence and makes it to my place again I will haul him to the sale barn for him. Once a bull his size realizes a fence is only a small hindrance there is no stopping him. 6 wire fence or a net wire fence ain't enough.

Just to put it out there... Fencing issues are handled so differently in different states that it's kind of strange, IMO. In SD we had a rule that any fence was the responsibility of the person... from the mid point and to the right. So the person across the fence was responsible for the fence, mid point and to the left... as that would be to the right to them.
Basically the same here... 1/2 the fence with it being the "right side" on each owner's side...if it is a fence that is in use by both landowners for livestock... If a person does not want to have livestock against the fence... the other owner has to build it/maintain it... BUT.... the other landowner CAN NOT put anything against it down the road for something like 20 YEARS... or they are responsible for half the cost that the other person put into it....

But we are a state with fence in and fence out laws in different counties....

Gets very complicated....

Last edited:
You should have enough evidence right now to get the sheriff involved.

That bull HAS GOT TO GO!!!

Or...... as was suggested on another thread. Buy the bull. Right after ya hand the man the cash, put a bullet in the bull. While the s.o.b is watching

Honestly. At this point. It's cheaper to buy him. Sell him and take a loss on him. It's beyond ridiculous

Is that bull all by himself?

Just reading online, Alabama is a fence in state amd it sound like you have a good case for damages.

Since it has been brought up about fence in vs fence out, it does not appear that just because your state is fence out you have no liability. If the fence that is being used to fence out meets the guidelines of the state and the animal goes through any ways, it sounds like you can be held liable for damages.

Latest posts