Bermuda vs. Bahia seed

Help Support CattleToday:

Did you use a sprig planter or seed your fields ? How did you get them established ?
Every hay field on owned property, we always sprigged. You have to sprig with hybrids. Some that I rent I don't know how they originally established them. They could have been seeded, being common, coastal and one is Russell. I have re-seeded bermuda fields before, just broadcasting it with saw dust. Even sprigging, you don't cut it til year two. I don't know if you could graze it any earlier.

There were some around me spreading world feeder clippings years ago and got it established that way, I had thought about it at one time.
All I done to establish my 3 acres was to kill out the existing grass with roundup. Went over the field with a disc. The man I bought the sprigs from had a sprig digger that off loaded the sprigs onto my 16 foot utility trailer. My wife and I just used our hands to scatter the sprigs off of the trailer onto the field. Then I went over the field with the disc. I hadn't taken soil samples, didn't put any fertilizer out until the following Spring. And that field has done good ever since.

World feeder is a pretty grass. That little patch of grass was established around 20 years ago.

Every hay field on owned property, we always sprigged. You have to sprig with hybrids. Some that I rent I don't know how they originally established them. They could have been seeded, being common, coastal and one is Russell. I have re-seeded bermuda fields before, just broadcasting it with saw dust. Even sprigging, you don't cut it til year two. I don't know if you could graze it any earlier.
I am probably going to try seeding some. But seeding seems like a real big gamble. $ 356 or more per acre for seed alone.

I don't know that planting will help you then. To maximize and maintain the hybrid grasses you will likely have to fert.

I would be more tempted to spend the seed money or fertilizer for what ever comes back naturally. If I wanted to seed it just to speed up the process I'd probably just go with common bermuda. I am not a fan of bahia. Common bermuda is very tough and productive, especially when managed right.
You hit the nail on the head. Up north, nutrient management had an impact, but not near as much as what I see down here. The key is recognizing that the improved varieties of both Bermuda and Bahia have the POTENTIAL for higher production withe correct/managed nutrient levels/fertilizer. The rub/issue comes with the added management needed to maintain those levels in the sandy soils in the south that tend to be less capable of maintaining a higher constant nutrient level that is available for the improved grass varieties that demand this to produce the higher touted yields. Without this added management level, the hybrids/improved grass varieties simply aren't going to produce the yields touted but will instead produce based on the soil potential, which is going to be considerably closer to the production levels of the 'common' grass species varieties currently on the field.

I just checked seed prices, i can get common for less than half the price of wrangler.
If you are willing to fertilize reguilarly, get the wrangler. If you aren't going to fertilize regularly, get the common. What will help either if you don't fertilize is adding a perennial legume that will fix nitrogen and essentially provide some fertilization for you. I don't know enough down here yet. Someone else may add, but consider adding a forage variety of alfalfa to the seed mix. Perennial peanut sounds promising, but I think it has to be sprigged.

If you are willing to fertilize regularly, get the wrangler. If you aren't going to fertilize regularly, get the common. What will help either if you don't fertilize is adding a perennial legume that will fix nitrogen and essentially provide some fertilization for you. I don't know enough down here yet. Someone else may add, but consider adding a forage variety of alfalfa to the seed mix. Perennial peanut sounds promising, but I think it has to be sprigged.
UGA has developed a warm weather alfalfa to be planted with world feeder bermuda for pasture...not hay. I know as late as 2022, they would sprig fields for you at no cost...you just had to fertilize and lime to their specs. Up here in north Ga, people usually have a fescue, bermuda and clover mix in their pastures. I don't want clover in my hay fields, though. so I just put out nitrogen.

You hit the nail on the head. Up north, nutrient management had an impact, but not near as much as what I see down here. The key is recognizing that the improved varieties of both Bermuda and Bahia have the POTENTIAL for higher production withe correct/managed nutrient levels/fertilizer. The rub/issue comes with the added management needed to maintain those levels in the sandy soils in the south that tend to be less capable of maintaining a higher constant nutrient level that is available for the improved grass varieties that demand this to produce the higher touted yields. Without this added management level, the hybrids/improved grass varieties simply aren't going to produce the yields touted but will instead produce based on the soil potential, which is going to be considerably closer to the production levels of the 'common' grass species varieties currently on the field.
From Atlanta north, the soil is red clay. Might be 2 feet of top soil on it, but if you drill down, you will eventually find the red clay. Macon down, you get the sandy loam. If a north Ga plot gets way out of balance ph wise, it take a lot of lime to get it to where you need it, but not too hard to keep it there once you do. Our soil is like having a pond with a cement bottom in it. Down south, it doesn't take as much lime to raise ph, but you gonna have to do it at least once a year. It is like having a pond with a screen wire bottom! :)

Last edited:
I am probably going to try seeding some. But seeding seems like a real big gamble. $ 356 or more per acre for seed alone.
Made a mistake. Recommended seed rate for Wrangler seed is 11 lbs per acre. So a 50 lb bag of feed at $ 356 a bag will seed around 4 acres. Still expensive gamble.

My wife and I just used our hands to scatter the sprigs off of the trailer onto the field.
I remember doing that as a very young teenager or pre-teenager. The whole family took part. I don't remember where Dad got the sprigs.

On one part of the pastures tho, my father had gotten some green cut coastal (may have been Alicia or African Star..he tried ever grass that came down the pike back then) that he put in the edge of a pond until it started showing roots and what he called suckers. We had disked the ground up pretty good, it was loose and rain was forecast beginning one night and into the next day which was pretty often back then in East Texas. , so we had to get it done in one day. We loaded all the stinkin wet mess up on a trailer, and with butcher knives, and hatchets, the older folks cut it into sections trying to leave it long enough to include the new growth on each handfull us younger (brother and I) folks had separated out and handed to them. We just tossed it out as someone drove along slow. Dad then drove back over it with a disc, what he called 'cutting it in and we had to walk the field, covering some of it with our feet, kicking dirt over it where needed. Certainly Po folks spriggin but it worked pretty good and it's one of my good memories from back in the day. I'll have to look, but may have a picture of us doing it since my oldest sister and her new husband were there and she was good about taking pictures with her Brownie camera.

I remember doing that as a very young teenager or pre-teenager. The whole family took part. I don't remember where Dad got the sprigs.

On one part of the pastures tho, my father had gotten some green cut coastal (may have been Alicia or African Star..he tried ever grass that came down the pike back then) that he put in the edge of a pond until it started showing roots and what he called suckers. We had disked the ground up pretty good, it was loose and rain was forecast beginning one night and into the next day which was pretty often back then in East Texas. , so we had to get it done in one day. We loaded all the stinkin wet mess up on a trailer, and with butcher knives, and hatchets, the older folks cut it into sections trying to leave it long enough to include the new growth on each handfull us younger (brother and I) folks had separated out and handed to them. We just tossed it out as someone drove along slow. Dad then drove back over it with a disc, what he called 'cutting it in and we had to walk the field, covering some of it with our feet, kicking dirt over it where needed. Certainly Po folks spriggin but it worked pretty good and it's one of my good memories from back in the day. I'll have to look, but may have a picture of us doing it since my oldest sister and her new husband were there and she was good about taking pictures with her Brownie camera.
We planted acres and acres and acres like that. You plant the tops. They would take a sickle cutter and cut the tops. Then you pitch for it or they square bale it to get it to new ground. They would have a disk running in front of us, we would shake it out on top the ground, and they would have a disk and roller behind us.

It was rough because the bales were green and wet a lot of times. They never sat more than 24hrs so what ever they baled up was in the bales still.

Its quite the operation and you better get rain fairly quick.

From Atlanta north, the soil is red clay. Might be 20 feet of top soil on it, but if you drill down, you will eventually find the red clay. Macon down, you get the sandy loam. If a north Ga plot gets way out of balance ph wise, it take a lot of lime to get it to where you need it, but not too hard to keep it there once you do. Our soil is like having a pond with a cement bottom in it. Down south, it doesn't take as much lime to raise ph, but you gonna have to do it at least once a year. It is like having a pond with a screen wire bottom! :)
Might be 20 feet of top soil on it (n):unsure: Who are you kidding besides yourself?

I'm lucky to have 8" of topsoil here. Caliche and seafloor below that. I've dug postholes nearly 4 feet and never got out of the seashells. :(

Planning on going with the common Bermuda. I was thinking about mixing in brown top millet. Thought that may give me some grazing for that pasture while the Bermuda establishes. Anyone have experience planting annuals with perennials? The seed company has a mix of 75percent Bermuda and the other 25 brown top millet.

Last edited:
Wanted to get some opinions. This spring I am sewing approximately 120 acres that the drought of 2021 killed most of my summer grass. I have been debating between Wrangler Bermuda or Tifton 9 Bahia or possibly a blend of the two (hand mixing). Sprigging hybrid bermuda is not an option due to the cost. Conducted soil test last fall, PH is 5.7. I did apply 1 ton of lime per acre, other nutrient levels are good. Summer grasses where it didn't die out are common bermuda and Pensacola bahia. Soils are sandy loam, located in SE Oklahoma. Thanks in advance.
Hard to beat Bahia for grazing.

Planning on going with the common Bermuda. I was thinking about mixing in brown top millet. Thought that may give me some grazing for that pasture while the Bermuda establishes. Anyone have experience planting annuals with perennials? The seed company has a mix of 75percent Bermuda and the other 25 brown top millet.
Lots of people around here will sow rye in their bermuda hay fields and pastures. April til the end of September belongs to bermuda. It will take over and choke out any other grass, The rye gives you some green from fall til when the bermuda kicks in. Use liquid amonium nitrate to apply your 24D with in Feb-March, and the rye will really take off!

Interesting thought seeding the WSAG (Warm Season Annual Grass) with the Bermuda. If the intent was for the millet to be a nurse crop to the Bermuda or for adressing a resource concern temporarily such as sheet erosion or wind erosion, possibly. However, using the annual as a means to provide grazable forage on the acres where the Bermuda is newly planted I think is ill advised. You really want to keep the livestock off of the Bermuda until it is well established. The millet isn't going to protect the Bermuda from grazing damage during this sensitive time.

As for planting annuals into Bermuda (existing stand) I recommend it as a practice (currently practice 810, annual forages, with the NRCS). to extend the grazing season by providing grazable forage once the Bermuda goes dormant at the end of the growing season. Conversely, I've also seen the exact opposite of this done in Ohio where WSAG are planted in the cool season perennials (Kentucky fescue) to provide grazable forage during the height of summer when the CSPG (Cool Season Perennial Grasses) are in their 'summer slump' or even dormant.

Interesting thought seeding the WSAG (Warm Season Annual Grass) with the Bermuda. If the intent was for the millet to be a nurse crop to the Bermuda or for adressing a resource concern temporarily such as sheet erosion or wind erosion, possibly. However, using the annual as a means to provide grazable forage on the acres where the Bermuda is newly planted I think is ill advised. You really want to keep the livestock off of the Bermuda until it is well established. The millet isn't going to protect the Bermuda from grazing damage during this sensitive time.

As for planting annuals into Bermuda (existing stand) I recommend it as a practice (currently practice 810, annual forages, with the NRCS). to extend the grazing season by providing grazable forage once the Bermuda goes dormant at the end of the growing season. Conversely, I've also seen the exact opposite of this done in Ohio where WSAG are planted in the cool season perennials (Kentucky fescue) to provide grazable forage during the height of summer when the CSPG (Cool Season Perennial Grasses) are in their 'summer slump' or even dormant.
Millet is added to some grass seed to help it broadcast if I remember correctly. I know we added it to B Dahl also and it's another small seed.

What kind of prices have you gotten on sprigging?
I haven't gotten any prices on sprigging. I decided to go with Wrangler because of my location I think it would work best for me.

Had a hard time finding seed but finally did. Kind of regretting going with Bermuda grass because of all the maintenance required to try and keep it weed free as possible. Was under the assumption I could for the most part pretreat it in February and March using roundup. Was told by a friend who works for one of the two largest horse hay producers in my area that they sprayed a 6 % solution per acre of roundup up every 28 days after each cutting.

Learned latter after I had already bought $ 6,300 of Wrangler seed that my friend lied to me. Both of these big Bermuda grass horse hay producers are spraying with MSMA every 28 days after each cutting. Not only is MSMA not recommended for hay or pasture. It can poison cattle and horses.

I won't and wouldn't sell hay that I know could harm or kill someone's live stock. So other than doing a pre and post spray with round up in the Spring and fall after the grass has gone dormant. At this point have a clue how I will keep the weeds out of it.

Wanted to get some opinions. This spring I am sewing approximately 120 acres that the drought of 2021 killed most of my summer grass. I have been debating between Wrangler Bermuda or Tifton 9 Bahia or possibly a blend of the two (hand mixing). Sprigging hybrid bermuda is not an option due to the cost. Conducted soil test last fall, PH is 5.7. I did apply 1 ton of lime per acre, other nutrient levels are good. Summer grasses where it didn't die out are common bermuda and Pensacola bahia. Soils are sandy loam, located in SE Oklahoma. Thanks in advance.
The one thing you might want to compare is the tonnage per acre. Might be wrong but the Bermuda grass might produce more than the Bahai ? But even then Bermuda is sort of a short season grass depending on your location. I don't know how Bahai holds up
in cold weather. You might not have that to worry about in your location ?

Latest posts