Blue tongue in cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Jtylerb82

Reaction score
Sent blood off last week after 2 cows aborted. Vet called back and said blue tongue that I should consider getting rid of the infected ones. Didn't get to talk long to ask many questions but from what I've read it's not contagious since it's from mites and that some cows develop antibodies. Anyone have any experience with this? Would the cows ever carry full term again? Read an article from a Florida university that tested over 200 head and over 40% tested positive. By all appearances the cows are fine. Thoughts??

I don't know a lot about it other than knowing it is a viral disease spread by biting midges, mosquitoes etc and mainly affects sheep. Googling it says that cattle show no obvious signs but may act as a resevoir for it.
It may be just an incidental finding in your case. Maybe your vet doesn't know a real lot about either.

Ken

Positive BT serology in the USA is nothing to be concerned about, in my opinion.
And...in all likelihood, it's not even a true Bluetongue test result...more likely cross-reaction to past exposure to EHD virus.

Latest posts