Bought some cows and calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Ojp6

Reaction score
I bought some older pairs a couple days ago. 10 old cows with a few thin ones on them. Looked a touch wormey but I poured them already. They are black and baldy cows with 125-300 lb black and red calves. Pairs probably have an average weight of about 13 something per pair on the whole bunch. I have about $1725 in them.
I don't have the pasture for them but have a lot I could put them in if I want to feed them. Not sure what would be the best thing to do with them I just figure there should be some money to be made on them. What would you do with them?

Where's the question. If you don't have the pasture you gotta feedem or sellum.

1. Keep them and feed the cows hard till fall. Then kill (hopefully, if they gain) fat cows and sell calves.
2. Let a bull in with the cows for a couple months and try to put some weight on them while they breed back. The Bulls aren't do anything else until around the first of June but not sure if it's worth the risk with trich problems when the cows are old broken mouth cows to start with.

Basically just wondering if you think broken mouth bred cows in decent condition will be worth enough more than a good kill cow to run a bull with them.

if you have pasture let them graze and give them some grain everyday.keep them till fall then sell them.id splitt them off in the fall that way you make some profit.

Calves are worth from $1000 to $1400 apiece. Think with limited grass and land I'll haul those rascals back and let my $500 cows enjoy the grass....put a little weight on them, let them slick off the long hair and take them back to the barn. You'll dance all the way to the bank.

Latest posts