Branded Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

somn

Reaction score
I was wondering if branding is still a needed procedure on the ranches or if maybe it is done just because it is tradition. I can't imagine there are that many cattle stolen anymore. We should have good fences across the country by now. When the buyers come to our yard they complain about the branded ones they either want us to sort off the branded ones and sell them at auction or take 2 dollars a hundred off the price they claim the hide is worthless. Just wondering if it is still needed. The buyers at the auction usually never care.

Trees fall on my fences from time to time .I check them regularly but dont have time to check them everyday. One place I have is next to a park where the teenagers gather and drink. Cars ,teenagers , drinking and my fences arent getting along. My point is that even with good fences stuff still happens and a brand is a very good return address for a cow IMHO.

somn":3w3dnimg said:
I was wondering if branding is still a needed procedure on the ranches or if maybe it is done just because it is tradition. I can't imagine there are that many cattle stolen anymore. We should have good fences across the country by now. When the buyers come to our yard they complain about the branded ones they either want us to sort off the branded ones and sell them at auction or take 2 dollars a hundred off the price they claim the hide is worthless. Just wondering if it is still needed. The buyers at the auction usually never care.

Yes, branding is a needed procedure as it's the most readily accepted way to identify an animal that belongs to you. Tatoos are accepted, to a degree, but they generally require more paperwork to backup the claim of ownership, whereas brands are registered with the state of origination and are a matter of public record. Good fences have nothing to do with cattle being stolen, as all it takes to cut that fence is a pair of fence pliers (actually, less than that). Do a search and you'll find out how common cattle rustling still is. There have been several threads related to cattle rustling posted on these boards. Just my thoughts.

As a Longhorn breeder and member of the TLBAA, branding is required on all stock to be registered. I would still do it even if it wasn't. As the others have already stated, its the best way to identify your cattle.

Thanks for the information. I assumed modern day thieves to be to lazy to take care of livestock. Maybe they just turn around and sell them right away.

That's it, cattle prices have been record high. The stolen cattle never even get off the trailer until they are at the auction, or other destination where money is traded for them.

It is also important if your cows get mixed in with someone elses if a fence is down or something. Picking your 3 black cows out of pasture of 400 of someone elses black cows wouldn't be fun!

Almost everyone in this part of the country brands... We have lots of community type pastures with 2-20 owners running cattle in the same pasture- also big pastures ( 10,000-50,000 acre ) with only 3 or 4 wire fence around them, so cattle are comingled a lot...Need the brands to identify them apart....

Interesting how the brand demand has changed- a few years ago some Packers/Feeders (Future Beef) were offering a $10 per head premium for no brands- $5 premium for hip brands...Then for the last two years with the ID craze, buyers were offering a premium for branded cattle that came with an birthdate,feed, origin affidavit....In fact some of the buyers preferred the hot iron brand over the RFID tag- because it was a permanent identification which they ( the feedlot) just added their own identification/tracing tag to....

Oldtimer":1x9qfmwh said:
Almost everyone in this part of the country brands... We have lots of community type pastures with 2-20 owners running cattle in the same pasture- also big pastures ( 10,000-50,000 acre )
Oldtimer that's not a pasture. Seems more like a whole continent. :shock:

somn":316yv6az said:
Thanks for the information. I assumed modern day thieves to be to lazy to take care of livestock. Maybe they just turn around and sell them right away.

In CA last year there was tons of cattle found. As said before I am not sure of the numbers. They were stollen from pastures, dairy calves were a huge number, right from the dairy's.
One would expect that there cattle were safe. It still isn't the case. Even branded cattle are stolen. You do however have a better chance of getting them back if they are branded. EVERYTHING is branded on our ranch! No questions.

I am interested to know that in other states there is or was a price doc for having a brand. I have never run into this or heard of it. Very interesting.

Double R

The Brands Division of the Montana Dept of Livestock recovers over a million $ worth of stolen and estray cattle every year...Without brands these animals would/could never be returned to their rightful owners.......

Oldtimer":xqb1s2wi said:
The Brands Division of the Montana Dept of Livestock recovers over a million $ worth of stolen and estray cattle every year...Without brands these animals would/could never be returned to their rightful owners.......

Great information!!

Double R

Latest posts