Bred… but bloody discharge.

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Bull was with my cows and heifers from mid December to mid February (the 21st to be exact). One cow in particular I saw holding her tail up a few dayes before the bull went back to his owner (I assumed he had bred her because he was obsessed with her that day, followed her all over). I went to check the cows yesterday and noticed some bloody discharge from that same cow, a few weeks after I assume she was bred. Thoughts? Do you think she did get bred or not? I'm going to take a blood sample in a few months to be sure.

Ugh. Super bummed about that. Well I have to vaccine a steer calf in 2 weeks so I might as well get the cows up there too to pull blood to send off to see if I need to go AI route with CIDR and horomes. Thank you all for you input. I am still learning about the breeding part of cattle.

Ugh. Super bummed about that. Well I have to vaccine a steer calf in 2 weeks so I might as well get the cows up there too to pull blood to send off to see if I need to go AI route with CIDR and horomes. Thank you all for you input. I am still learning about the breeding part of cattle.
You won't need a cidr and hormones, you know now when she is due back in heat, just use a patch and breed her when it changes colour.

Ken

You won't need a cidr and hormones, you know now when she is due back in heat, just use a patch and breed her when it changes colour.

Ken
Yes I could do that. I do have patches and will sort of have an idea of when she comes into heat. Would it be wise to still send off blood to be sure she's not bred?

Yes I could do that. I do have patches and will sort of have an idea of when she comes into heat. Would it be wise to still send off blood to be sure she's not bred?
It wouldn't hurt but my thinking is, the fact that you saw the blood suggests that she did indeed ovulate and that it was a true estrus cycle she had.

Ken

It's not a good way to preg check, but if you are going to A.I. and see her in heat when the tech inseminates, if she is pregnant, the breeding gun will drag entering the cervix and he will know not to go through all 3 rings lest he break the protective mucus plug.

Update! This morning… almost a month later… looked out the window and saw her standing to be mounted by a heifer. She has also tried to mount the heifer. Called my AI guy and he's coming tonight to breed her! Happy I saw her standing to be mounted and hopefully can get her bred this time.

this is just my opinion, but if she was in with the bull for probably 3-4 cycles and did not settle, I would save the money spent on AI tech and semen. good time to just say good-bye. you must not be too concerned about her calving 2 months later than the rest of your cows and heifers. Good luck though if you do AI her.

this is just my opinion, but if she was in with the bull for probably 3-4 cycles and did not settle, I would save the money spent on AI tech and semen. good time to just say good-bye. you must not be too concerned about her calving 2 months later than the rest of your cows and heifers. Good luck though if you do AI her.
Yes I completely understand your point. I only have 3 cows and 2 heifers. She was with the bull for probably 2 cycles. She's the very first cow I bought and she's had 2 calves, good mama, easy calving, so I'm willing to give her another chance.

Latest posts