Bull and cow prices crash

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc

Reaction score
Around here bull prices are off 15-20 dollars from last week. We sold 2 young bulls yesterday. Wish we had kept them and sold them to someone for hamburger. They have been getting cake everyday along with wheat. Were fat. Could of fed them a few weeks waiting on a butcher date and they would of been great hamburger. We have done several that way. Cows are down several dollars from Friday. At the sale yesterday I would say 8-10 dollars.

It is hard to know what to hold with future prices well below cost. Younger is usually better, but it is possible that 2019 heifers will not show a cow/calf profit over their productive life. We are a long way from a cattle price cycle peak.

We took off four pound cows today thinking they might do ok. As usual I was wrong they brought about half what I thought they might. Glad we didn't take them all that we were planning on it. Don't know the breakdown but 4 cows brought $1200 and 3 were big frame cows.

Seen pound cows at .80 here Saturday was told they will do .90 this Saturday, nobody ever knows

Ain't seen nothing yet. What will cattle be worth when kill plants are closed, or slow down ?

May want to buy a big ass meat grinder before they are all gone. :nod:

elkwc said:
Around here bull prices are off 15-20 dollars from last week. We sold 2 young bulls yesterday. Wish we had kept them and sold them to someone for hamburger. They have been getting cake everyday along with wheat. Were fat. Could of fed them a few weeks waiting on a butcher date and they would of been great hamburger. We have done several that way. Cows are down several dollars from Friday. At the sale yesterday I would say 8-10 dollars.
good luck on a few weeks for butcher appointment. 3 months here, and that was before it was announced that another company was closing.

Closed the old Taylor plant in Pa due to workers sick. Don't know if they have the virus..... it will hurt the kill prices here for awhile.
2-3 months wait for a kill date here. Son just got a date in May for one.....

Smooth cows topped at .60 yesterday at our local sale barn.
We have a steer on the books to butcher in two weeks. We only called the locker 10 days ago.

Made four butcher appointments for this summer. There is demand for grass fed burger, and we don't mess with reluctant mothers. Life is too short.

Milk is being dumped and dairy farmers near me were told they need to decrease production by 20%. I'll bet the cull market gets a lot worse before it gets better.

I looked up market reports from around here. A total of 5 sales. They all looked pretty good. I like one report that said something to the affect that thing backed down off last weeks craziness. Then listed the top cows at $0.77 to $0.69 and top bulls at $1.06 to $0.96. That looks pretty darn good to me. Going to the sale tomorrow. I will let you know what it looks like here.

farmerjan said:
Closed the old Taylor plant in Pa due to workers sick. Don't know if they have the virus..... it will hurt the kill prices here for awhile.

I was waiting for this. Folks will get sick. You can close down for a short while and clean and then reopen, but at a lower staffing level. Bottom line is kill capacity will be reduced.

What do you do with a fat when there is not enough kill capacity ?

Stocker Steve said:
farmerjan said:

I was waiting for this. Folks will get sick. You can close down for a short while and clean and then reopen, but at a lower staffing level. Bottom line is kill capacity will be reduced.

What do you do with a fat when there is not enough kill capacity ?
you pay the guy who raised them less, and you charge the consumer more!

Keep feeding it, maybe you can back off pushing them as hard. But you still have to maintain some level of push.
At least with cattle we can add temporary pens, not push calves, and stretch the animals out without a lot of extra cost. I would hate to own hogs now with the fear of a plant shut down. They are so efficient there shackle space is booked when they are farrowed. Congest that supply line just a little, and you'll have guys gasing whole buildings of S.E.W. pigs because they have no place for them.

People are ravenous for meat and keep emptying the stores, which are never able to fully restock. Plant shutdowns will be temporary. Olymel hog plant in Montreal was just shut down and will reopen in 2 weeks. Packers are making good money and won't be closed for any longer than they have too.

Burger season is coming. Going to be a BBQ and propane cylinder shortage next. Because one thing people like to do when they are bored and inactive is EAT! It don't matter how many die or how scared shiitless everyone gets, people are still going to cram their hole 2-3 times everyday.

Aaron said:
People are ravenous for meat and keep emptying the stores, which are never able to fully restock. Plant shutdowns will be temporary. Olymel hog plant in Montreal was just shut down and will reopen in 2 weeks. Packers are making good money and won't be closed for any longer than they have too.

Burger season is coming. Going to be a BBQ and propane cylinder shortage next. Because one thing people like to do when they are bored and inactive is EAT! It don't matter how many die or how scared shiitless everyone gets, people are still going to cram their hole 2-3 times everyday.
as George Carlin said "If you were selling barbequed raccoons arseholes on a stick, people would buy them and eat them, especially if you put a little salsa and mayonnaise on them"

Nesikep said:
Aaron said:

as George Carlin said "If you were selling barbequed raccoons arseholes on a stick, people would buy them and eat them, especially if you put a little salsa and mayonnaise on them"

I don't remember him saying that...

Aaron said:
Nesikep said:
Aaron said:

I don't remember him saying that...
Language warning for those who don't know Carlin... it's at 2:25
https://youtu.be/KLODGhEyLvk

Latest posts