bull died

Help Support CattleToday:

xbred

Reaction score
my friend's bull, a 5 yr. old char. died thanksgiving night. in a span of 2 weeks he went from healthy breeding heifers to extremely weak, extreme diarrhea, slightly labored breathing. i would have liked for the bull to be tested by a vet, but by the time i heard about it it was probably too late. any online diagnosis?

I had a bull go down on me that fast this summer too. He was healthy and breeding cows, and I treated him once for a sore front foot, but then his scrotum swelled up really, REALLY bad. Got diarreha and became real weak. I treated him with all I could, but he still ended up dying on me. Still not sure what caused it. Thought maybe the infection in his foot went systemic and settled in his testicles and he couldn't find the infection off.

Cibster":3hcf0oyt said:
I had a bull go down on me that fast this summer too. He was healthy and breeding cows, and I treated him once for a sore front foot, but then his scrotum swelled up really, REALLY bad. Got diarreha and became real weak. I treated him with all I could, but he still ended up dying on me. Still not sure what caused it. Thought maybe the infection in his foot went systemic and settled in his testicles and he couldn't find the infection off.

Wonder if he developed an inguinal hernia? The intestines will drop down into the scrotum, and cut the circulation off and kill the intestines. Any strain can cause a hernia... but it is not common.

[/quote]
Fire Sweep Ranch":163zjge6 said:
Cibster":163zjge6 said:

Wonder if he developed an inguinal hernia? The intestines will drop down into the scrotum, and cut the circulation off and kill the intestines. Any strain can cause a hernia... but it is not common.

That's what somebody on here suggested when I posted about it when it happened. It sounds like a logical diagnosis. They said they would get rid of him as soon as possible if it was a hernia. I was planning on taking him to the next sale, which was in a couple days, but I found him dead the next morning. Day late and a lot of dollars short!

Coccidiosis catches a lot of blame for things that otherwise can't be identified. Especially since it's always present.

Latest posts