Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

PLR

Reaction score
Which of these two bulls do you like the looks of better? The black one is a 3 year old Orphan and the White one is a 4.5 year old Reg. Highland.

Thanks,

Shelby

BULL%20FIGHT2.JPG

BULL%20FIGHT4.JPG

hope the links work

The highland is deeper, the black is longer. I'd dehorn the highland before too long, no excuse for a bull to have horns. The highland is the better bull IMO.

Hard to say based on the pictures. I would have to say that the Highlander is the better bull but if you were to shave all that nasty hair off and dehorn him and then reevaluate the 2 I might change my mind.

here are a couple other picts. sorry but they are the only ones I have in this computer. Highlands are supposed to have horns. Not to mention dehorning him now would probably kill him.

shelby

BULL%20FIGHT1.JPG

BULL%20FIGHT6.JPG

here is a bull with depth. He is an eight year old highland that I considered as possible trade for my other bull.

Forrest.jpg

When I look at the new picture I tend to lean toward the black bull. The other one may be better but if I was buying one of them to put on my herd I would buy the black bull.

txshowmom":3uzxl8iu said:
if you were to shave all that nasty hair off and dehorn him and then reevaluate.

Thas right show mama. Cut all the hair off and reevaluate there might not be no bull to evaluate. He might disappear. I knowed a feller once that didn't take a bath very often. Talked him into using Odor Eaters" and he di.sappeared.

Horns are good to hang hats and coats on.

No offense, but that red bull sure doesn't have any muscling over his hips. Also would be concerned that the horned bull might end up putting some air conditioning in the polled bull.

Take care.

best pictures to evaluate the bulls are of the hairy one.. but i like the black one the best.. based on what i can see...

would prefer a little more mass on the back end of each of them

just my opinion

jt

What are you using the bulls for. That is the question I ask especially if I am culling one. I would keep the black one. The hairy calves like these I have seen, and not to many, don't do well. May do well in your area.

I like smooth heads, so the black would be my first choice of the two. However, I really like the red highland. Lots of body and I like that too.

From personal experience, I can tell you that hairy calves don't do terribly well at the market. Also, Highlanders tend to mature slower than some other breeds. If you are keeping his calves to finish and slaughter, I might go with the Highland bull as the beef is truly excellent, otherwise I would go with the black if you are selling calves to market. I would be careful as well about damage being caused to the black bull. When I had my Highland bull, he got into another bulls' pen and pretty much ripped his sheath right off throwing him over the fence.

I use both bulls. The Highland on my registered cows and the cows that are related to the black bull. The black bull I use on my traditional beef cows. Never had a problem with the horns. And they dont make highlands without them. Theres alot of horns in my herd, I just get used to it. Highlands head size doesnt affect calving because the calves only weigh 40-70 pounds anyway.

I just breed for beef but a good highland cow can bring upwards of $2500. Not a bad price for any cow.

Shelby

I prefer the black bull. Interesting that the photos show them fighting. Hopefully one of them will conceed to the other before one gets hurt.

Latest posts