Bulls digging holes

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus86

Reaction score
Do all bulls dig? I have an angus bull that has a few 8x8 about 4 foot deep holes where he likes to kick the dirt all over him. He has a good 8 of these.

Really find it kind of irritating as he will do it right in some good grass. Does everyones bull do this?

Angus86":2vis9ff5 said:
Do all bulls dig? I have an angus bull that has a few 8x8 about 4 foot deep holes where he likes to kick the dirt all over him. He has a good 8 of these.

Really find it kind of irritating as he will do it right in some good grass. Does everyones bull do this?

Only bulls I've ever had dig were Angus. Maybe they all do. But I've never had an Angus that didn't.

Angus86":1fddhgsb said:

Most do I believe but yours is taking it to the extreme.

My current Angus is the worst digger I have ever owned. I had the guy down the road ask why I keep to large piles of dirt one by the east gate the other the west. My reply was I own an Angus bull. He loves to dig on the side of the hill for some reason.
I went down to the local tire shop and got six old tires, after I repaired a spot I would put the tires on it. He won't put his foot in the holes in the tire.

Caustic Burno":358hsw1j said:
My current Angus is the worst digger I have ever owned. I had the guy down the road ask why I keep to large piles of dirt one by the east gate the other the west. My reply was I own an Angus bull. He loves to dig on the side of the hill for some reason.
I went down to the local tire shop and got six old tires, after I repaired a spot I would put the tires on it. He won't put his foot in the holes in the tire.
That's fine tell he gets his head stuck in a tire! How are you supposed to get a tire off an angry bulls head?

Some do, most don't. My guess - where they got the name "bull" dozer. Some hate a dust bag or a back rub and beat them to a pulp. Some hate tin walls or a particular fence post. Some are gate wreckers. One would take a gate off of the hinges, flip it up on his back and enjoy a rub. I finally left him a loose gate. The one I was most concerned about would waller his head in a fire ant mound, get too much venom in the stings, get wobbly, lose body control, get in the shade and act dead for about an hour and then get up and be OK. He'd do it about once a week. Think I would have learned better but he must have enjoyed it. Watch the tires: he'll have one around his neck one morning. Had one that would flip a hay ring and rub. Found him one morning wearing it like a hoop skirt. He had learned to stick his head in, lift and would pace like a harness horse. Took some effort and time to get it off. I moved it out of the lot.

ez14.":1uj4z1i9 said:
Caustic Burno":1uj4z1i9 said:
That's fine tell he gets his head stuck in a tire! How are you supposed to get a tire off an angry bulls head?

He's eight and that hasn't happened so far, today might be the day.

I've had a few that would dig like there's no tomorrow! The one I have now digs some, but he prefers to bunt and beat the snot out of an old feed trough. I have a steer that like to bang his head on the power poles.

Caustic Burno":rqvoua5v said:
ez14.":rqvoua5v said:
Caustic Burno":rqvoua5v said:

Had a Holstein bull that did it twice

ez14.":2xhwpoh2 said:
Caustic Burno":2xhwpoh2 said:
ez14.":2xhwpoh2 said:

Had a Holstein bull that did it twice
No suprise there Holsteins are alot dumber then your average beef cow, boss has a Holstein on his hiefers he's a mean little b@stard

The only holes my bulls dig is across from another bull digging a hole.
Same here. Reminiscent of dinosaur excavations. 40 years in rugged mountain coastal terrain & lots of acreage and never had a bull create a buffalo wallow. Moved to a small flatlander farm a few years ago and and the bloody sons a guns are hell bent on rearranging the terrain. :cry2:

My bulls and cows do.. The shorthorns seem to be worse than the Gelbvieh.. They're just bored.

It's really fun hitting those holes with the tractor.. or dirt bike (did that last week and went for a flight!)

You think a bull with a tire around its neck is bad.. How about this?
26231076_1952898368085939_4471873963767518753_n.jpg

Nesikep":yim6wmef said:
My bulls and cows do.. The shorthorns seem to be worse than the Gelbvieh.. They're just bored.

It's really fun hitting those holes with the tractor.. or dirt bike (did that last week and went for a flight!)

I've seen people have a spare tire around their waist. First time I've seen one a bull :hide: :lol2:

Nesikep":zz9fq4yn said:

That is not a goodyear or a good day. Maybe a new breed of cow: A radial? I can hear the ringman now: "How about this one? Low mileage, still got good tread, will be easy to identify if stolen, ..."

Latest posts