Can we Talk ?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2o5ja1om said:
S&S Farms":2o5ja1om said:
IF you get an eye problem put a patch over it to keep the sun off of it and it will heal better and quicker. We use xt4 fly tags cattle rubs and medicated mineral. really need to get the scrub brush next out of the pastures.

Back to the patch old blue jeans and some back tag glue put it across the top and side along the nose. make a little tent so cow can see down. You do not want patch to rub the eye.

Jeff

S&S....did you steal my playbook???? :lol: Old fashioned but that's what I've always done especially with dairy cattle where it seems to be more common....Only thing different is that I get a mastitis tube and apply part of it under the eyelid before patching. Vaccines may have improved but just never seem to work for me when I did use them.

I forgot about the mastitus cream. Have not treated an eye for a while. Glad to someone else as cheap as me. Those patches sometime have patches on them to :) Jeans a little used.

Jeff

Found this topic of great interest. Have had problems with pinkeye the last two years despite pinkeye vaccinations for all cows and calves and good mineral and fly control. What I am wondering is if certain plants or thorn trees play a part? I only have had outbreaks in one particular pasture that has a lot of creek area and is heavily infested with locust thorn trees. Am wondering if the cattle are injuring the eye and then pinkeye develops? They all do respond to treatment. Would welcome any responses!

After reading all this it seems to me that we have three basic strategies for preventing pinkeye 1. Vaccination 2. Fly control 3. Elimination of irritants ( clipping pastures and so forth ) . I think if as an industry we did even 1 of the three we would be better off than we are now and if we did all 3 most cases of pinkeye would be eliminated .

Larry

larryshoat":19ptvxwe said:
After reading all this it seems to me that we have three basic strategies for preventing pinkeye 1. Vaccination 2. Fly control 3. Elimination of irritants ( clipping pastures and so forth ) . I think if as an industry we did even 1 of the three we would be better off than we are now and if we did all 3 most cases of pinkeye would be eliminated .

Larry

jasrnch":2uj1kufi said:
In my herd the cows and calves that have a predominance of herford blood lines seem to get pink eye the most. The bad part about my situation is that my cattle are running on public lands, with other herds. That makes it almost impossible to do anything but vaccinate. Then doctor the ones with it in the fall when they come home. But I'm getting pretty good at giving shots in the eye. :cboy:

larryshoat":2hqbe16a said:
larryshoat":2hqbe16a said:

Larry

larryshoat":30m26ey6 said:

Larry

I believe the main issue is genetics. If an animal gets pink eye, the genetics aren't preferred, and the issue lingers likely for additional generations, if there are any. A quick way to almost eliminate the issue, would be line-breeding, and discarding the carriers. However, this stategy may be out of your control unless you are a breeder or purchase stock from a breeder. I beleive vaccinations, fly control, and labor intensive brush control are all unnecessary expenses as long as we get the right genetics.

HerefordSire":vco0cqvp said:
I beleive vaccinations, fly control, and labor intensive brush control are all unnecessary expenses as long as we get the right genetics.[/i]

I think we could debate the genetics versus the vaccine; but flies will carry off more money in blood than they will in spreading pinkeye and if you got a lot of brush in your pasture it is absorbing water and nutrients that could go to grass while shading out grass and making a lot of grass inaccessible to the cows. Some purists will argue with me; but controling the flies and keeping the brush out of the fields probably pays for itself without even factoring in pinkeye.

Brandonm22":1od58kkf said:
HerefordSire":1od58kkf said:
I beleive vaccinations, fly control, and labor intensive brush control are all unnecessary expenses as long as we get the right genetics.[/i]

I think we could debate the genetics versus the vaccine; but flies will carry off more money in blood than they will in spreading pinkeye and if you got a lot of brush in your pasture it is absorbing water and nutrients that could go to grass while shading out grass and making a lot of grass inaccessible to the cows. Some purists will argue with me; but controling the flies and keeping the brush out of the fields probably pays for itself without even factoring in pinkeye.

I cannot disagree with your core meaning (double negative). That was my way of stressing the importance of priorities in the grand scheme of things. Generally, one should be able to disregard most responsibilities if the right genetics are in place.

braunvieh":1o0zm86x said:
What I am wondering is if certain plants or thorn trees play a part? I only have had outbreaks in one particular pasture that has a lot of creek area and is heavily infested with locust thorn trees. Am wondering if the cattle are injuring the eye and then pinkeye develops? They all do respond to treatment. Would welcome any responses!
I do not know if this is true or not but in my neck of the woods we are being over taken with Red Cedars, Oklahoma, my grandpa would cut every cedar He could cause He said they would make a cow have pinkeye. I don't know but they will rub all over them cedars and stand in them I think it is to keep the flys off ????? what yall think about that ???

Do not be fooled, the key to success in the livestock business is management, it always has been, it always will be.

Larry

larryshoat":2qg1l8a9 said:
Do not be fooled, the key to success in the livestock business is management, it always has been, it always will be.

Larry

Does that include managment of genetics?

HerefordSire":r2pkngjw said:
larryshoat":r2pkngjw said:

Larry

Does that include managment of genetics?

Absolutely, that includes striving for the best in every area of our work, that includes using every tool we have available to produce a better more profitable product.

Larry

Latest posts