Canning beans.....................

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Anybody canned any beans yet? Yesterday I got started and did 42 quarts (28 quarts peanut beans and 14 quarts topcrop) Also I baby sat my daughters 3 kids as she and her husband had to work and my wife had to work. I am still tired............

I just got done with them at around 7P....................

iHcAtgC.jpg

Here is my work crew (3, 6, and 9).................

1Xhjnzd.jpg

That's a lot of work sitting there. I remember my Grandma, Great Grandma and her sisters getting together to can. No A/C, just fans in the living room pointing to the kitchen so they would get a little air. Couldn't put it in the kitchen, be blowing the burner/pot too much. If we were all out there putting up hay, and come in for dinner (canning AND made dinner), I'd be glad to be done and out of that house.

jltrent":2t5kf891 said:
Anybody canned any beans yet? Yesterday I got started and did 42 quarts (28 quarts peanut beans and 14 quarts topcrop) Also I baby sat my daughters 3 kids as she and her husband had to work and my wife had to work. I am still tired............

I haven't canned any but froze some canning takes too long and I don't have the time to do it right now.

No garden this year, but I've done lots of canning in past years. Just 2 of us now, so we freeze most of the stuff from the garden nowadays, and only enough for 1 year.
I tend to over do it sometimes. I once canned 30 qts of pickles. We'll never eat that many pickles..I just didn't want them to go to waste.

Beans, corn & peas tho, we eat a lot of.

MRRherefords":35tc8oob said:
Snapping them is the longest, but most fun part of the whole process. We snap the ends off then break them in half. Is that what you do when yo can them?
On the peanut beans I have to string them also, a lot of extra work to go along with them being small also. But for flavor they IMO are bout the best so the hard work pays off during the winter months.

skyhightree1":2728pshv said:
jltrent":2728pshv said:

I haven't canned any but froze some canning takes too long and I don't have the time to do it right now.
I freeze my greenbeans....too much work canning them and they don't get mushy in the freezer.
I'm switching to tattler lids. So tired of the metal ones and i'm always out. Just canned up all my garden potatoes, and it was a good potato year. I'll start on pinto beans, bought not home grown, for our food storage. I can up around 30 pounds a year for that if the SHTF time.

Nice work. Didn't do any canning this year because we still have plenty. Love canned beans but am considering freeze drying them in the future if I can convince myself to get off the money for the equipment.

Not telling anyone how to put up their beans but We lost a whole family of cousins to botulism before I was born from home canned green beans. We blanch them and freeze them....I won't even consider any other way.

3waycross":2n7otma2 said:
Not telling anyone how to put up their beans but We lost a whole family of cousins to botulism before I was born from home canned green beans. We blanch them and freeze them....I won't even consider any other way.
Its amazing more people don't die from it, but i'm guessing they cook it enough before eating it.
I never blanch my greenbeans. Unless you're eating them without cooking, there is no point in what blanching does. Even if you eat them without cooking, no one eats raw thawed green beans...Just pick, wash, trim and put in a Ziploc bag. After a bit of freeze you can move them around in the bag so they don't freeze together (although they usually don't unless they are real wet when they go in the bag)...but then you can just grab what you need when you need it..It also helps if you have a deep freeze..

jltrent":13h5maym said:
On the peanut beans I have to string them also, a lot of extra work to go along with them being small also.
But for flavor they IMO are bout the best so the hard work pays off during the winter months.
That's a good looking work crew you've put together. Work 'em hard for that winter payoff. :)

cowgirl8":43jcocfj said:
3waycross":43jcocfj said:
Its amazing more people don't die from it, but i'm guessing they cook it enough before eating it.
I never blanch my greenbeans. Unless you're eating them without cooking, there is no point in what blanching does. Even if you eat them without cooking, no one eats raw thawed green beans...Just pick, wash, trim and put in a Ziploc bag. After a bit of freeze you can move them around in the bag so they don't freeze together (although they usually don't unless they are real wet when they go in the bag)...but then you can just grab what you need when you need it..It also helps if you have a deep freeze..

For the benefit of others who may read and believe this to be true....

There are a number of benefits to blanching most veges before freezing....
Most importantly it will stop the enzymatic action that causes maturing/ripening.
Freezing will slow down this process but not stop it. Proper blanching will preserve freshness, flavor, color, texture and nutrients. It will also make produce less susceptible to freezer burn.
It will also kill most pathogens that may be present. Again, freezing will slow the metabolism of bacteria and molds, but not kill them.

To avoid the inevitable forthcoming bs from the princess, here is one link from a quick search.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/blanching.html

Thank you Cottage farm. Sorry to hijack this thread. However good information is always appreciated.

CottageFarm":3ftj5gj8 said:
To avoid the inevitable forthcoming bs from the princess, here is one link from a quick search.

And no mention to the others for reusing their metal tops, priceless? Oh and I forgot that we have google experts in here.
Bacteria that is on it if you don't blanch, is there if you eat them fresh. Bacteria does not grow in the freezer. .No one is going to eat frozen green beans raw......cooking kills bacteria. Logic, my dear. logic... the quality of the beans is no different than if you blanch or don't. The only difference is if you put in a freezer that has a defrost or doesn't. I do not freeze anything long term in a defrost freezer...every thing I preserve goes into a deep freeze for longer life.

JLtrent......sorry for the derailment. Your beans look great, and thats a heck of a lot of work! Sure is a cute work crew you got there.

And no mention to the others for reusing their metal tops, priceless?
Well that's a question out of left field... thought we were talking about freezing :???:
But since we have to make this all about you....whatever. No, it is not recommended to reuse metal lids.

Oh and I forgot that we have google experts in here.

For you and anyone else who may be reading comprehension challenged ...links are provided as a means to provide an additional impartial and reputable source of information.

Bacteria that is on it if you don't blanch, is there if you eat them fresh.

And your point is??

Bacteria does not grow in the freezer.
Again, for the reading comprehension challenged.....
...freezing will slow the metabolism of bacteria and molds, but not kill them

to be more accurate, freezing will kill some pathogens, but not all, and not some of the most dangerous ones

No one is going to eat frozen green beans raw......cooking kills bacteria.
Logic, my dear. logic...

non-sequitur....

the quality of the beans is no different than if you blanch or don't.
This is your opinion, and you are free to preserve your foods however you choose.
However, experts in food preservation and safety disagree with you. This is why my previous post was provided for the benefit of others... I knew you would find the information unnecessary. Other people may find it informative.

The only difference is if you put in a freezer that has a defrost or doesn't.
defrosting freezers can, indeed, have some effect on the longevity of frozen foods but is irrelevant to whether one should blanche produce prior to freezing.

I do not freeze anything long term in a defrost freezer...every thing I preserve goes into a deep freeze for longer life.
Knock your socks off....This isn't all about you.

Latest posts