Cattle rustlers strike NE Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

John Baker

Reaction score
Bull market for cattle rustlers: Dozens of cows stolen in Northeast Alabama as beef prices soar

Somebody is hauling away cows of DeKalb County, Ala., like a bandit behind the wheel of a rural Brink's truck.
Snip
stole from a pair of farmers in the last two weeks, taking more than 50 cows and calves.
Snip
The first theft happened around May 13 in the New Harmony Community on County Road 58, just a couple of miles east of Marshall County. Harris would not say which farmer got ripped off, but he said about 35 were taken: 20 cows and 15 calves.
Then, on May 24, somebody stole three more cows, nine more calves and a John Deere Gator from the same place. Around the same time, somebody lifted three black baldy heifers from another spot on County Road 58, about a mile down the road.
Source: http://timesfreepress.com/news/2014/may ... eakingnews

Update:
DEKALB COUNTY, Ala. (WAAY) - There's a $5,000 reward being offered for information about dozens of cattle stolen from a DeKalb County farm.
According to DeKalb County Sheriff Jimmy Harris, about 50 head of cattle and some farm equipment were stolen from a farm on County Road 58 in the New Harmony Community. Harris said about 35 head of cattle were stolen March 13-15 and another 12-15 were taken May 23-24. 
The cows are Brangus crossbred cattle with a yellow ear tag, with numbers below 100 in the right ear. More than 20 of the cattle weigh between 1,000 and 1,200 pounds, and more than 20 calves weighed 100-200 pounds. They are black brown and a few white-faced in color.
Harris also said there was a report of two cows shot on County Road 458 in the Fort Payne area. A $2,500 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction in that case.
There were 3 more cattle stolen from another farm in the Whiten Community on County Road 58. The cattle are black baldy heifers weighing between 600 and 750 pounds. They have yellow ear tags in the left ear with numbers 1311,1312 and 1313. They are Z tags with written numbers. A $2,500 is being offered in that case. 
Anyone with information about either crime is asked to contact Alabama Agriculture and Rural Crime Unit special agent Ira Whitehead at 256-603-9032 or special agent Tim Mathews at 256-845-0465, or DeKalb County Sheriff's Office Investigator Craig White at 256-845-3801.
Source: http://www.waaytv.com/appnews/reward-of ... b2370.html

You can bet they were scouted out and considered easy targets.
Not that it can't happen to me that is why I built the pens in front of the house at perfect rifle
range.

Sim,-ang.king, et al
Re:
Or one of the so called dump tank members that sir loon says roams these forum will show up. It is odd though that all of these other members of the think tank all use the same writing style as Sir loon. He must of trained them all on how to properly copy and paste.
FYI, TTT uses a macro ( same writing style ) which is the same for all members. Just as all businesses use for their interoffice memos. That is why we all use the same format (same writing style ).

Now as for which is the "dumb tank " and which is The Think Tank", I think this issue on cattle rustling answers that question very well.
OK, from those here on CT who stand to be the victims of this crime and could suffer a great personal financial loss and could possibly be put out of business.
Here are CT's answer to the problem. "hangmans tree and Judge Begbie", "no brand - kiss them good bye", "perfect rifle range ", again "no brand – kiss them good bye".

Now I also posted my first two post on TTT and here is how it went.
28 possible solutions were submitted by all the members from all walks of life. They were voted on and narrowed down to 10 possible solutions.
NONE, except "branding" made the top 10, but failed to make the top 5.
TTT's number one answer to this problem was to photograph your cattle, pointing out and recording any and all distinguishing features and their charecter.
Now which is the dumb tank and which is the think tank??
Example: See: viewtopic.php?t=91494
John

Well John, let's face reality. If you don't brand your cattle with a registered brand there is no way to positively prove they are yours. They could be tattooed but someone has to look pretty darn close to see a tattoo. Take all the pictures you want. Once the cattle are in a trailer how far away can they be in 4 or 5 hours. Can you be in another state? Just who is going to be looking for the cows in your pictures? How long does it take to get those pictures to every sale within an 8 hour drive that is occurring the next day? And how closely will the people at that sale look at your pictures and the cattle. Those cattle with yellow ear tags can go down a chute and have green ear tags in just a couple minutes. What is to keep those freshly ear tagged cattle from going out to pasture for a year or three before going to town?
I realize people east of the Mississippi don't normally brand and there isn't mandatory brand inspection. But a brand is a permanent mark that is easy to see that identifies the cow as belonging to you. All of the west you need a brand inspection to take cattle across a state line. Some state require a brand inspection to haul your own cattle to another pasture. Certainly every sale yard has a couple of brand inspectors who examine every single animal for a brand. And if it does have a brand it better be your brand or you better have a state issued brand release.
The fact is I am surprised that there hasn't been much more cattle rustling going on in that part of the world. Thousands of unbranded cattle with no brand inspection going on. A person with a criminal mentality, half a brain, and a trailer could make a darn good living.

Dave,
I'm not getting into a pizzing contest with you, so if your answer to this problem is "kiss your cattle goodby" have at it!

Re;
If you don't brand your cattle with a registered brand there is no way to positively prove they are yours.
That's BS! Have you never heard of the preponderance of the evidence?

Re:
They could be tattooed but someone has to look pretty darn close to see a tattoo.
SO? If you recover the cattle, you look close!!

Re:
Just who is going to be looking for the cows in your pictures? How long does it take to get those pictures to every sale within an 8 hour drive that is occurring the next day?
A. It would take me less then 30 min, to email my pics and info to every sale barn and about 30 other cattleman in my area who attend those sales that would be looking for my cattle. And I would do the same if their cattle were stolen. Not to mention ever county sheriff's office in a 500 mile radius.

Re:
I realize people east of the Mississippi don't normally brand and there isn't mandatory brand inspection. But a brand is a permanent mark that is easy to see that identifies the cow as belonging to you. All of the west you need a brand inspection to take cattle across a state line. Some state require a brand inspection to haul your own cattle to another pasture. Certainly every sale yard has a couple of brand inspectors who examine every single animal for a brand. And if it does have a brand it better be your brand or you better have a state issued brand release.
The fact is I am surprised that there hasn't been much more cattle rustling going on in that part of the world. Thousands of unbranded cattle with no brand inspection going on. A person with a criminal mentality, half a brain, and a trailer could make a darn good living.
RIGHT? Branding is the answer as it is working real well west of the Mississippi!
See: Cattle Rustling on the Rise in Texas
http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-local ... -12311096/

The fact is, if you could catch a perp in your pasture with your cattle in his trailer and if you can't positively identify those cattle as yours, it becomes his word against yours, both in the pasture and in a court of law if it ever gets that far.
All the perp has to say is, they are my cattle, they got out and I came and loaded them up to take them home and he could walk out of pasture or court with your cattle.
And the same can be said for no matter where the cattle were finally located.

Fact: With the photos and notes,I have of my bull I can identity him beyond a reasonable doubt no matter if it is today, 2 days or 10 years later or 2 miles or 1,000 miles away.
And as he is out of a registered herd I could even use DNA to positively identify him.

Fact: If you can't positively identify your own animals how in the H can you expect law enforcement to find them for you and prosecute the perp??

TTT second best means, in addition to photos, for a quick noticeable visual identification,
was ear notching .

And their third was electronic tracking devise.

Using electronic tracking gives law enforcement a way to locate your cattle.
Ear notching, along with your description, gives law enforcement probable case to seize those cattle and obtain a search warrant to search for additional evidence.
Your photos makes the positive identification for a conviction.

John

John Baker":d7m2pmbf said:
Sim,-ang.king, et al
Re:
Or one of the so called dump tank members that sir loon says roams these forum will show up. It is odd though that all of these other members of the think tank all use the same writing style as Sir loon. He must of trained them all on how to properly copy and paste.
FYI, TTT uses a macro ( same writing style ) which is the same for all members. Just as all businesses use for their interoffice memos. That is why we all use the same format (same writing style ).

Now as for which is the "dumb tank " and which is The Think Tank", I think this issue on cattle rustling answers that question very well.
OK, from those here on CT who stand to be the victims of this crime and could suffer a great personal financial loss and could possibly be put out of business.
Here are CT's answer to the problem. "hangmans tree and Judge Begbie", "no brand - kiss them good bye", "perfect rifle range ", again "no brand – kiss them good bye".

28 possible solutions were submitted by all the members from all walks of life. They were voted on and narrowed down to 10 possible solutions.
TTT's number one answer to this problem was to photograph your cattle, pointing out and recording any and all distinguishing features and their charecter.
John

Anyone that thinks their property is theft proof or they can make it that way is an idiot.
All you can do is make it where you are not the easy prey in the herd.
You can bet your operation was scouted and the easiest target was hit when you get hit.
Branded, pictures don't mean anything after they have went through the salebarn and gone.
The best defense in todays world is electronic surveillance. It works 24/7/365 and it can be defeated
as well if they know it is there.
Ninety nine times out of a 100 they get away with it for a long time before getting caught.
The only satisfaction is they get caught.

John Baker":3j25ch64 said:
Sim,-ang.king, et al
Re:

John

What is TTT?

Thanks in advance.

John Baker":jmq2bb1w said:
Sim,-ang.king, et al
Re:

John

Why did you quote me from another thread, Sir Loon?
Good job at coming up with something that some breed association already use. Now how are you going to account for those that are rustled and then taken straight to the slaughter plant?
"Yeah, here's a picture of my cow, now which one of these carcasses looks closest to her?"

TennesseeTuxedo":3cxu7twe said:
John Baker":3cxu7twe said:
Sim,-ang.king, et al
Re:

John

What is TTT?

Thanks in advance.
T ennessee T uxedo T wostep

Re:
Anyone that thinks their property is theft proof or they can make it that way is an idiot.
All you can do is make it where you are not the easy prey in the herd. You can bet your operation was scouted and the easiest target was hit when you get hit.
True!
TTT did discuss security at length also, with a range of suggestions.
The #1 suggestion was:
On an out of the way gates that are not uses often, use a heave chain and lock, not a dog chain on a nail to keep it closed.
And put them on both ends of the gate so it can not be removed from it's hinges with a 9/16 wrench and set aside from that end.
Surveillance was #2, but as of yet has not been defined.
Neighborhood watch, electronic and game cameras surveillance are in the top 5

Re:
Branded, pictures don't mean anything after they have went through the salebarn and gone.
I disagree.
IMO, the best thing that can happen is for them to go through a sale barn as a paper trail is created which can be traced back to the perp if the cattle are located later.
John

I would get into this but..... how does the saying go, you wrestle with a pig and you will both get muddy, but the pig loves it.

Good luck sending out those pictures of an angus cow.......

Latest posts