Chevy 8.1 Vortec Rebuild

Help Support CattleToday:

CottageFarm

Reaction score
Anybody have any idea what the typical labor cost would be to rebuild this motor.
Our truck (03' k3500) has about 230K on it and it's time for engine repairs.
We're inclined to rebuild this one, or buy a rebuilt, but we don't have a trusted mechanic at this point to get prices from.
Just trying to crunch numbers right now to see what makes the most sense for us.

the prices will vary from region to region. If I have a truck that I dont want to sink alot of $ in like a farm truck I buy a motor here for my gas burners www.car-part.com I also question what do you consider a rebuild? Are you talking about taking it down to the block and cleaning and honing and building it completely back up with all new internals?

this is a 3.0l v6 motor that had 430k miles on it and just blew a head gasket couple weeks ago its my estimate truck I wanted to just buy a used motor and drop it in but my mechanic said let him replace the head gasket.

Thanks Sky.
Car stuff isn't really my area of expertise, but yes, we're looking at a pretty complete rebuild
This is one kit that I've been looking at, just looking for any idea on the labor portion of the task.

http://www.perfectengine.com/GM_496_CID_8_1L_Engine_Rebuild_Kit_p/eth-rcc496bp.htm

We don't really want to replace the truck, would prefer to rebuild the motor. The Alison transmission runs pretty much like the day we bought it (new), and everything else is good. The motor isn't blown yet, but it's having some issues that I would like to address now, before it dies completely.

We just sold a ranger that needed a new head gasket and we didn't want to deal with it. It was hubby's run around truck and we haven't replaced it so he's driving the dually for everything now. The motor has been having some problems for a while and we figured it's time to fix it.

Many may disagree but there is a lot of good factory built motors that were wrecked and salvaged and come with a warranty. I opt to go that route with motor out you can change a lot of the parts yourself before having it put in.rebuilds can get real pricey then you have labor to remove and install motor. I can't help you with cost my mechanic is on my pay roll so I don't know rebuild costs

:lol: :lol:
We replaced the heater core in that ranger and it took us 3 days (yes, we had to pull the whole dash) Only had 2 bolts left over when it was all re-assembled. Nothing major rattled, so I we left it.
We have neither the time, facilities, tools or inclination to get into something like the headgasket. It was a lot easier to just sell it. It still ran, just needed a lot of antifreeze (out the tailpipe).

CottageFarm":1qqp7gtx said:
:lol: :lol:
We replaced the heater core in that ranger and it took us 3 days (yes, we had to pull the whole dash) Only had 2 bolts left over when it was all re-assembled. Nothing major rattled, so I we left it.
We have neither the time, facilities, tools or inclination to get into something like the headgasket. It was a lot easier to just sell it. It still ran, just needed a lot of antifreeze (out the tailpipe).

Funny have you looked at motors ready to drop in ? What is your budget for this? What do you all think it will cost you?

New motor would run 10-12K installed, which isn't gonna happen.
Rebuilt would run 6-7k installed
Used would run 4-5k but are very hard to find with low enough miles
Yes, we're investigating all options. Just was having trouble finding any reference point on rebuilding the existing.

The motor isn't blown yet, but it's having some issues that I would like to address now, before it dies completely.[/quote]
What kind of issues?
You might check with Pace Performance. They sell GM crate motors.

Main problem is the #1 cylinder continually fouls the plug.
He needs to change it pretty regularly.

I have looked at Pace. Can't recall for certain, but I don't think they were showing this motor available.

CottageFarm":mcllzdmj said:
Main problem is the #1 cylinder continually fouls the plug.
He needs to change it pretty regularly.

I have looked at Pace. Can't recall for certain, but I don't think they were showing this motor available.

sounds like a bad injector to me or head gasket I don't think that warrants a motor swap at all. I would do a compression test and coolant test and see what happens. First thing of solving any problem is finding the root cause.

King imo i feel as though the problem they are having with it doesnt warrant a new motor or rebuild. That is just normal wear and tear IMO

I realize that it's current problems don't necessarily warrant a rebuild at this point. The plug fouling issue has been going on for about the last 30k miles, it's also starting to leak some oil in the past week, and as I mentioned it's at 238k. That's a lot of miles on a big motor, so this is something that will likely need to happen in the next 30-50k miles no matter what. Most people seem to figure 200k on a big block is really good, and I figure by the time this happens we'll be at 250k.
While I don't want to spend any money that I don't have to, I also want this to be a planned inconvenience, rather than have the truck die at the worst possible time. We all know that Mr. Murphy would prefer the latter option.

Latest posts