Chicken Litter

Help Support CattleToday:

We grow cattle for human consumption and I think the turd rollers who feed chicken litter or anything else that compromises the quality of the beef should be subject to heavy fines. It is time laws were established to prevent this type of thing. :mad:

feeding chicken poo?? :mad: :mad: :mad:
ya all wantta eat chicken poo???
i don't!
no wonder the meat in the stores looks so animic if it is fed chicken poo!!!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:
even if i am a cheepo (got the 2nd nickle i ever made) i would not resort to this sort of cheapness!!!!! get out of the business and quit making others look bad to say nothing of the posibility of bse :mad: :mad: :mad:
if i got that bad for feed i would shoot my herd!!!!!!!have more pride than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ain't no way i would buy from that herd!!!!!!!!

No good. It just ain't no good. Who in their right mind would think chicken crap is a good idea for feed? Oh, by the way, I wouldn't feed dead chickens to hogs. Live chickens only. It will keep a sow from eating the pigs. We always fed tankage, but some folks who couldn't afford it used chickens. If a hog can catch a chicken they will eat them anyway.

Now, if my memory serves me correctly, cattle are herbivores. That means they only eat grasses and other vegetation. If someone ever sees a cow go up to a chicken house to eat their sh*t, let me know cause i aint never seen it.

with the pigs, they are ominvores. saw two sows devour a hen in seconds.

anyone with ANY common sense would already know what i typed. as for the rest of you, yall are just a bunch of DUMB***es. feeding cattle chicken sh*t and other cows, who was the one who came up with that bright idea?

branxchar&charx":2mfb19w2 said:
Now, if my memory serves me correctly, cattle are herbivores. That means they only eat grasses and other vegetation. If someone ever sees a cow go up to a chicken house to eat their sh*t, let me know cause i aint never seen it.

with the pigs, they are ominvores. saw two sows devour a hen in seconds.

anyone with ANY common sense would already know what i typed. as for the rest of you, yall are just a bunch of DUMB***es. feeding cattle chicken sh*t and other cows, who was the one who came up with that bright idea?
I believe it was our Land Grant Universities that came up with the idea. At the time, BSE was unheard of and it was a way of making use of a product that would've been wasted otherwise. It allowed cattle to make use of spilled grain. The litter was allowed to go through a heat in order to kill the bacteria. It provided another option for getting rid of a waste product because the soil can only take so much litter before nitrates get into surface and ground water. Now producers must have a CAFO plan to dispose of the litter. There is a formula based on the number of houses, capacity of each house, and the tons of litter produced that determines how many acres are required to properly dispose of the litter. If a producer doesn't own enough land himself to dispose of the litter produced by his poultry operation, he must make arrangements with neighbors or others to dispose of it.

well boys and girls, I have 3 broiler houses and never feed chicken litter to them and never will but!!! Anyone who has never been around chicken house probably dosent fully understand the what the litter is. Litter is not like turds out of an old yard chicken. Ricehulls make up about 50% of litter and these chickens eat so much corn that alot of it passes thru their system and then u have heat effect which goes thru when chickens go out. I dont condone feeding litter under any circumstances but maybe this will kind of help put it into perspective for those who know nothing about the business. I have also seen cows in knee deep grass that will find their way into a chicken house while in between batches that will eat the litter like its sweet feed. It does make great fertilizer though. SPRING or fall if u know how to apply to u land properly.

J&T Farm":1ltd7rjx said:
well boys and girls, I have 3 broiler houses and never feed chicken litter to them and never will but!!! Anyone who has never been around chicken house probably dosent fully understand the what the litter is. Litter is not like turds out of an old yard chicken. Ricehulls make up about 50% of litter and these chickens eat so much corn that alot of it passes thru their system and then u have heat effect which goes thru when chickens go out. I dont condone feeding litter under any circumstances but maybe this will kind of help put it into perspective for those who know nothing about the business. I have also seen cows in knee deep grass that will find their way into a chicken house while in between batches that will eat the litter like its sweet feed. It does make great fertilizer though. SPRING or fall if u know how to apply to u land properly.

J&T Farm

Well, this boy knows the business - wife ships about 30K broilers every 7-9 days.

There is far too much risk to use this as anything other than fertilizer.

We haul it, pile it, let it compost, spread it and disc it in for grain crops.

You may use rice - we feed those chickens corn, oats and barley.

Wife beds them with wheat straw.

No one ever mentions the deads that get mixed in with the litter - even the best hand misses some on walk throughs when the birds get big. No sense having the cow eat that either.

Just because a cow will eat it does not mean they should.

Regards

Bez'

Isn't one of the (main) reasons the USDA doesn't ban chicken litter as a feed stuff because of poultry groups lobbying they have no other (economical) way to dispose it?

I'm guessing your right about the lobbying groups. That and they haven't been able to prove that it poses a risk. It's logical that there could be a problem but until some cattle actually contract bse from litter or science can prove that it is possible it will probably be legal but frowned upon.