Close linebreeding = Consistent calf crop.

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
Has anyone else come across this in their studies on how to get a consistent calf crop? It seems that most of our fears of inbreeding/linebreeding are old wives tales. What are your thoughts?

It seems that most of our fears of inbreeding/linebreeding are old wives tales. What are your thoughts?

The more education i got behind me the more it became evident that wives tales make up the predominate viewpoint. Most of the mentality is based on ignorance and a lack of understanding in basic genetic principles. Alittle education in genetics and math will clear it all up.

warpaint":2273xhbb said:
When it works right you're a genius.
When it don't you're a dunce.

Sell the dunce.

Keep the genius.

Not that simple I know, but part of the main idea.

Keeping bulls in for only two months, syncing cows and creep feeding would do a better job making your crop consistent. I would line breed if I had good enough cattle.

Line breeding will reduce the genetic variation. If you lose the quality traits and retain the less desirable then you've gone backwards. If you're good enough to get rid of the less desirable traits and keep the good ones then you've gained predictable quality.

As far as a commercial guy goes he could just go buy a linebred bull and his calves would be far more consistent than a bull that has been outcrossed. Good management will amplify good breeding.

Latest posts