Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

OTOH, it's been a few years since we've had a real winter in my part of the state. Maybe kill off a few trees, (got plenty to spare 'round here anyway) some bugs, serpents and other undesirable stuff.
My niece down at Dayton says they have some dead floating Tilapia in their backyard pond. It's about 8' deep and about 40' in diameter. I doubt the fire ants will be affected tho...

I think the bugs use the snow/cold as snuggle time. Somewhere under all that snow is a giant mosquito orgy going on. Just ask those boys from Minnesota. I imagine fire ants are in the same boat.

Yes I'd be worried about Tifton. I overseeded my coastal with giant over the past few years. It was already greening up before this front.
At least with the seeded grass I should have seed in the bank.
I had a stand of winter ryegrass coming up before all this started. What are the chances it survived here north of Ft Worth?

We thawed out good today. Only a little ice/snow mix here and there in the shady spots. There was still a lot of green. It looked a little beat down but there was rye popping back up. I may be optimistic but the first good day of sunshine and I think it will take off. It's amazing how wet it is. I dont know what an inch of melting snow equates to but it looks like we had a down pour.

Snow doesn't equal a lot of rain. Maybe 10" of snow=1" rain but it's the very very slow melt and soaking in that creates the mud and mire. Almost no run off and virtually zero evaporation.
My road coming up to the house is getting to be a mess, especially since everything re-freezes each night. 21f tonight and down to 22f tomorrow night.

I'm not seeing any difference in net and string except
I had a stand of winter ryegrass coming up before all this started. What are the chances it survived here north of Ft Worth?
I'm not sure but ryegrass is far more cold tolerant than oats. I'm thinking we may be ok there , especially with the heavy snow before it got ridiculous cold.

You might be right. The snow might help protect from the lowest temperatures.

I know it's late but, yesterday, I broadcast some more ryegrass seed on top of the snow next to the existing ryegrass where my bermuda stand is. Expecting a warm-up today above freezing and sunshine should melt the snow. Long range forecast is for rain several days next week, too. We'll see if I get any grazing out of it. I still may have to sell a few animals.

Finally got the diesel tank thawed today. Been gelled for the last week.

The fuel company is supposed to supply fuel already blended for cold weather, just goes to show that isn't always the case.

Dumped 5 bottles of diesel additive in, changed the filter 3 times, and built a little cardboard enclosure with the diesel heater inside, let it warm up for an hour or so, then it finally started pumping.

We always use an additive when it gets that cold, didn't have any trouble with equipment, just the main tank. Been down that road before with supposed "winter blend" fuel.

How ya'll doing in the snow, cold, and the folks without power?

There are people down here who had already disked or ran pasture renovators thru their bermuda. It's like once one person does it they all just blindly jump out there and do it. They are going to take a beating. Plus, it's still supposed to be dry next year.
The last big freeze was 2011- if I remember right that was BIG drought year too.

How ya'll doing in the snow, cold, and the folks without power?
Hospital parking lot when they finally started pushing ice 5 days after the snow. Lots of clinics had pipes pop and flooded during the week, so closed for care until new office space can be found (with water and electricity). Grocery stores that lost power got rid of all perishables-shelves are empty until restock trucks can get through. Some neighborhoods have one side of the street that never lost power, the other side has been off for 5 days and waiting for replacement parts for transformers. Really hit or miss where we are at this point.

Attachments

• 829385D5-C7FA-447A-839C-A922D0C36ABF.jpeg
    829385D5-C7FA-447A-839C-A922D0C36ABF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • DE75F033-885B-49CB-ACD8-C6A3202ECA2B.jpeg
    DE75F033-885B-49CB-ACD8-C6A3202ECA2B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
2 days ago, the line to get into home depot plumbing aisle Porter Tx was all the way around the left side of the building. They didn't have much either.
Like finding hay in 2011....

Latest posts