Cost per acre to disc/till gound.

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me a "going rate" per acre to disc and till acreage. We had some done a few years back but it was done by a friend I know he didn't charge us what he could have. We're now looking at having some more done and want to get some input....Thanks!

Wisteria Farms":2kld4eu5 said:
Can anyone tell me a "going rate" per acre to disc and till acreage. We had some done a few years back but it was done by a friend I know he didn't charge us what he could have. We're now looking at having some more done and want to get some input....Thanks!
years ago it was $15 an ac for every pass you made over a field.but with the high fuel prices im betting its $20 an ac pre pass.so it could cost you $30 to $40 an ac to disc.that 2 passes with the disc.then $15 to $20 an ac to level the ground.so your looking at roughly $60 an ac to get ground ready to plant.

We always use Iowa's numbers they seem to be fair for all parties involved. Tandem disk would be $9.45 per acre offset disk would be $11.75 per acre. Field cultivating would run $9.05 per acre. You can see the ranges the cheap side is usually the friend helping a friend the high side will of course be the guy taking advantage of people in need.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/c ... /a3-10.pdf

To me, I would feel $30-40 an acre about right. Consider cost of:
  • 1. Tractor "rent"
    2. Equipment "rent"
    3. Diesel cost
    4. Operator per hour rate
    5. Add a little "net" profit

Before we bought our tractor and some equipment, we custom hired a guy to mow our pasture: $15. per acre. Mowing is a "low power" thing and minimal fuel cost. Pulling discs, and other equipment is more power using/fuel cost.

It really depends on the equipment being used. Everything works back to cost per hour. If you are harrowing with a 6 foot harrow its gonna cost you a lot more per acre than if you are using a 16 foot harrow. Same with mowers. JMO

Brute 23":14c1lbp9 said:
Are you asking how much it costs for you to disk your own land?

OR

How much it costs to contract some one to do it for you?

My responce was assuming the second one.

As was mine. This is what I just paid a fella to harrow 84 acres for me. $320 - total. Took him 4 hours.

For me to disk my own land, I use a 6 foot disc and a 1950 JDB it runs me $1.00/acre (disc was bought at auction for $100 if you want to depreciate that) I run a spike tooth harrow behind that too.

Plowing is a lot more. Probably near $5/acre not including equipment. I use a 50 hp JD 5203 and a two bottom trailer plow to do that.

Jogeephus":2ta0fdu6 said:
Brute 23":2ta0fdu6 said:

OR

As was mine. This is what I just paid a fella to harrow 84 acres for me. $320 - total. Took him 4 hours.

I don't see how they make money like that.

Brute 23":1jlxi665 said:
Jogeephus":1jlxi665 said:
Brute 23":1jlxi665 said:

OR

I don't see how they make money like that.

No argument here. I figured he could do it cheaper than I could and his equipment was right down the road. But on the other side of the coin, I imagine the amount he made off me that day went a long way in paying the tractor drivers pay for the week. After all, he still had to pay his hand whether the tractor was sitting there or working.

Latest posts