Cover Crop Question - Newbie

Help Support CattleToday:

Primal Farms NC

Reaction score
We live in Lee County, NC (Zone 7B) and we planted our cover crop on Oct 15. It hasn't rained since the remnants of Hurricane Ian passed by and we got 1 inch of rain early in October.

We no-tilled drilled cereal rye, triticale, ladino clover, tillage radishes, hairy vetch, and Austrian peas. Since we drilled our seeds we are seeing germination. Mainly it's the cereal rye and triticale. The bad news is we have NO rain in the foreseeable forecast. With this being the first cover crop we have planted (new farmer), I am concerned that the germinated seeds will die with no rain.

I had hoped this cover crop would be winter forage. Any thoughts on how long the aforementioned plants will make it?

I think it will be OK, the evaporation from now on drops right back if things are anything like we have here. Spring will be when you really need some moisture and it is when the cereal crops fill the feed gap in my situation. I get some grazing in winter if they go in early enough but recovery is usually slow until spring.

Welcme to CT,

Ken

Thanks Ken,

We have seven highlands and getting these gals on good nutrition is a priority. As you know this starts with the soil. The owner of the farm before us owned horses so the pastures were in rough shape from heavy grazing.

I am wanting to keep living roots in the ground this winter so we are praying for rain like every other farmer across the country. My inexperience from being new to all of this has me anxious. We have germination with the triticale and cereal rye but are just unsure that their growth can be supported without rain. We have some ground moisture but with every passing day, the ground is dryer.

I woke up this morning to a heavy fog advisory lasting until 10:00 am. I am hoping that we get some moisture for the seeds from the fog but I have no idea how that works. I do know that the cooler and shorter days are working to our advantage from an evaporation standpoint.

I stumbled upon CT last night so I am excited to see how active this forum is.

you probably won't get much growth this year unless you get some rain.

I would not graze it if you want to get some use out of it next year.

buying hay and unrolling it on the ground would be your best bet to getting the pasture back into good health.

Thanks for the coaching! Hopefully we will get some rain. We are praying that is for sure!!!

The Piedmont region of NC typically receives about 46 inches of rain per year. I know farmers are growing cover crops with a lot less rainfall so hopefully we can get there in time.

What I am calling drier ground may look differently to them.

Cereal rye is the most drought tolerant of the cereal crops. My first experience with it 30+ years ago proved that to me. Planted it the third week in September and got 1/2 inch rain that night. It did not rain again for 37 days. I had planted some strips of wheat to compare and because the seed was cheaper. The wheat sprouted and died, the rye provided winter grazing for some old pairs I bought.

That's quite the mix and I bet it wasn't cheap. Especially the peas. The rye will likely survive but without rain it may not be enough to graze anytime soon. The ladino clover won't take off until next year.

Cereal rye is the most drought tolerant of the cereal crops. My first experience with it 30+ years ago proved that to me. Planted it the third week in September and got 1/2 inch rain that night. It did not rain again for 37 days. I had planted some strips of wheat to compare and because the seed was cheaper. The wheat sprouted and died, the rye provided winter grazing for some old pairs I bought.
This is what I am hoping for. I planted Oct 15 (mild NC fall weather - 73 degree high today) hoping that the rain might show up. It hasn't yet but the cereal rye is definitely germinating so it has found some moisture.

I am seeing a few sprouts from the other seedlings but unsure of their tolerance to no rain.

I'm new to this so there are a lot of unknowns.

That's quite the mix and I bet it wasn't cheap. Especially the peas. The rye will likely survive but without rain it may not be enough to graze anytime soon. The ladino clover won't take off until next year.
Correct, it wasn't cheap but I knew if this mix were to take off it could jump start the benefits I needed happening in our soil. A roll of the dice…

Interesting thought on the ladino. Are you saying, "next year" meaning spring of 2023?

I think it will be OK, the evaporation from now on drops right back if things are anything like we have here. Spring will be when you really need some moisture and it is when the cereal crops fill the feed gap in my situation. I get some grazing in winter if they go in early enough but recovery is usually slow until spring.

Welcme to CT,

Ken
Thanks Ken - I hope you are right!

Correct, it wasn't cheap but I knew if this mix were to take off it could jump start the benefits I needed happening in our soil. A roll of the dice…

Interesting thought on the ladino. Are you saying, "next year" meaning spring of 2023?

Now maybe it is different where you are but if I want to plant cool season perennials like ladino clover here, I have to think one step ahead. So I would fall plant or frost seed in the winter in order to have the clover the next season. Here a fall planting of clover won't take long too come up but nothing significant, it doesn't really start to get established that soon.

I agree with duke on the unrolling hay. It is a good way to build your soil and you're not hoping and praying that it rains and possibly wasting your money. That is if you have the access to hay..

Very common problem there with fall cereal grains. It's pretty simple. If you get enough moisture for the seed to sprout and then the sprouted seed gets stranded in dry ground you lose it.
Not what I wanted to hear but I appreciate your honesty. It sounds like you got some personal experience on this topic?

Not what I wanted to hear but I appreciate your honesty. It sounds like you got some personal experience on this topic?
I've replanted my share of oats .
Here in the land where it seldom rains I've learned to try to have rain under and on top. Meaning drill your seed into moist soil with rain in the forecast.
If you have dry soil down below. a half inch rain will go right past your seed but sprout it as it goes by.

Last edited:
A problem occurs when there is enough moisture for seeds to germinate, but the seedlings do not have enough time, or rain, to root down to consistent moisture.

Small cool season plant seeds usually die first.
Large cool season plant seeds die second.
Warm season plant seeds die last.

Rain Update for everyone:

We just received an inch of rain tonight and so I am thanking the Lord! We may get a bit more rain overnight so it has been a great last 6 hours or so.

I believe this rain will allow the rest of my seeds to germinate while allowing those that have germinated the much-needed rain they need for growth. The next 10-15 days are going to be fun to watch. The great news is that my grown moisture was enough to keep the seedlings in good shape so I will get to see what happens next.

Latest posts