Cow Crying

Help Support CattleToday:

M Gravlee

Reaction score
I received this email today. What should I tell her?

What can responsible, caring ranchers give to calm mama cows that cry/call for their calf(s) when they take the calfs away to sell them?

We r going on 24 hours of heart wrenching cries from a mama cow in a pasture behind our neighborhood. Our yard backs up to the pasture... other neighbors keep asking us about it.

The rancher replied that it was the mom calling for the calf? Emotionally that is not caring for her cows.

Sincerely, someone who cares about animals, peoples & does not like unnecessary pain!

Macon,

I would tell her that its normal for them to sound off because of separation , it takes about 72 hours for them to quiet down. As far as medication go I would prescribe a 5th of jack Daniels and some really loud music after you drink that you really wont care that the cows are Bellering

Jeez. I would say beer

But probably better to explain that she got to raise her calf. The farmer provided feed and protection and it was time for the calf to go.
Deer for example usually have anywhere from 25 to 75 percent fawn mortality rates. The cow as far as animals go. Has it pretty good. She at least gets to raise her calf.

Might explain to her, that's what her moma should have done...weened her earlier. She would be a more mature adult. And perhaps could understand such behavior!

Only time I ever saw a cow cry I was hand feeding her jalapeno peppers and she was loving them but tears were just rolling down her face.

M Gravlee":12thfr3c said:
I received this email today. What should I tell her?

What can responsible, caring ranchers give to calm mama cows that cry/call for their calf(s) when they take the calfs away to sell them?

We r going on 24 hours of heart wrenching cries from a mama cow in a pasture behind our neighborhood. Our yard backs up to the pasture... other neighbors keep asking us about it.

The rancher replied that it was the mom calling for the calf? Emotionally that is not caring for her cows.

Sincerely, someone who cares about animals, peoples & does not like unnecessary pain!

Nothing can be done has to run its course. We all know when someone is weaning or hauled to the salebarn in the neighborhood.

TexasBred":39w8ru75 said:
Only time I ever saw a cow cry I was hand feeding her jalapeno peppers and she was loving them but tears were just rolling down her face.

its websites and FB pages like the gentle barn in TN , they have thousands of followers and always posting rescuing animals from slaughter or reuniting a calf with his mother because she cried all the time . its not fair to them to have their babies stolen and sold for meat, they actually think that if a cow has a calf she should keep it forever. one bull they actally made a prosthesis leg for it . and i'm sure their donations are astronomical. Social media and Dumb azz people are the cause for this.

Tell them to keep their nose on their side of the fence......sticking it where it doesn't belong isn't useful to anyone in this case.

Cows express it as calling for their calf. People express it with tears, getting mad, going on shopping sprees, having a party..... She will get over it in a couple of days, the neighbors will just have to put up with it. If they moved into the rural area, it is part of life. Some cows are worse than others, our red polls will carry on for a week and most of the rest will be done in 3 days. Tell the "ë-mailer"that it is part of the growing up cycle, and that the cow will forget all about the calf and then she will have a new baby to take care of and that is how nature intended it to be. It has nothing to do with " emotionally not caring for her cows" it has to do with facts of life and that the cow cannot keep the older calf and be able to raise a new one.

This is why city slickers need to stay away from farm animals, or really anything farm related.

Ignorance is bliss.

Ask her if she has/had kids: presumably they were weaned. It's not pleasant and sometimes painful for all involved but it has to be done. I thought activists were against administering meds? Or is that just antibiotics and not Xanax?

slick4591":1j5qdter said:
Give them time and they'll shut up.
Which cow are you talking about? The bovine one will shut up after a while!

TexasBred":1j5qdter said:
I tried to trick a cow once by putting chili powder in a hollowed out carrot... that backfired.. she LOVED it and wanted to eat the whole can of it! I don't know what she thought of it the next day though

Tell her that the bellowing isn't heart-wrenching. It's really the cow expressing her joy that she doesn't have that big calf nursing on her and following her around any more.

I know that around September the cows seem to Bellerose a lot and while they do miss their calf for a bit.. they are also relieved to not have that sucker around

Rafter S":13m3wbqf said:
Tell her that the bellowing isn't heart-wrenching. It's really the cow expressing her joy that she doesn't have that big calf nursing on her and following her around any more.

Yep she is going around yelling yippee no more butting my bag and no more teeth on my nipples. No more producing milk now all the nutrients can go towards getting my body back in shape time for Momma to party yippee.

Latest posts