Cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I am buying early this year because I believe come January bred cows will be too high to pencil out for a one and done program. Last year late winter early spring I was a hair under $1,200 a cow into buying them. This year I am a hair over $1,200 ($1,229 right now). Last year hay was real expensive. It cost $252 a head for the shorter time feeding costs. This year feed is much cheaper. My projected wintering cost is $352 a head. With the big calf checks people are getting I think that the big December stock cow sales will see the prices soar. People will have money to spend and need to spend to keep the government from taking too big of a piece of it. Also by buying early I will have calves born much earlier than last year resulting in bigger calves at sale time. Had one pair that went walk about this year. The neighbor caught the pair 6 weeks after the others were weaned. That calf turned out to be one of the two biggest steers. 6 weeks longer on the cow makes a difference. We are locked in to selling the cows when we do so the way to make calves older at weaning is to have them born earlier.
I had some early calves that weaned older and heavier and have often wondered if leaving them on the cow an extra month would pencil out. Especially if the cow is in good condition, I see no real reason that a calf can't be carried into 8 months for the extra pounds. Of course yours are one and done so perhaps the cow weight is a factor there too.

I like your thinking on the early buys too.

I had some early calves that weaned older and heavier and have often wondered if leaving them on the cow an extra month would pencil out. Especially if the cow is in good condition, I see no real reason that a calf can't be carried into 8 months for the extra pounds. Of course yours are one and done so perhaps the cow weight is a factor there too.
The leased ground that they summer on the landowner wants all the cows gone by Sept 1. It is in the lease agreement. That works for one and done cows. Get them to town before the fall glut of cows comes out of the hills. If you put younger cows on this pasture one would need to have a place for them to go to the end of August. Good luck finding a pasture to fit that.

The leased ground that they summer on the landowner wants all the cows gone by Sept 1. It is in the lease agreement. That works for one and done cows. Get them to town before the fall glut of cows comes out of the hills. If you put younger cows on this pasture one would need to have a place for them to go to the end of August. Good luck finding a pasture to fit that.
You said in your prior post that "Also by buying early I will have calves born much earlier than last year resulting in bigger calves at sale time." and that was what I was commenting on. Early calves, bigger weights. I guess that also fits your pasture situation.

You said in your prior post that "Also by buying early I will have calves born much earlier than last year resulting in bigger calves at sale time." and that was what I was commenting on. Early calves, bigger weights. I guess that also fits your pasture situation.
I had earlier said we are locked in to our cow selling time. So I was just giving the explanation of why that is.

You cleaned one house.
Some from each really.
I kept some crossbreds that will calve this spring. No bull needed. Taking a break!

I've got a LOT going on right now. Time is of the utmost importance unfortunately. Estate stuff, finances, etc etc.

I out hay out this evening, and went on autopilot. Won't have to hay again til next month! 🤣

Some from each really.
I kept some crossbreds that will calve this spring. No bull needed. Taking a break!

I've got a LOT going on right now. Time is of the utmost importance unfortunately. Estate stuff, finances, etc etc.

I out hay out this evening, and went on autopilot. Won't have to hay again til next month! 🤣
Did you keep the brindle Holstein? Wondering what colour her calf will be.

Some from each really.

Did you sell off all the nurse cows?

Did you keep the brindle Holstein? Wondering what colour her calf will be.
I did! Didn't figure she would bring much. But after seeing prices....
She is a pretty lil thing!
Kept the 2 other crossbred w/ ear as well. March calvers. Brindle should be along soon!
20231214_162905.jpg

Murry - we're here if you need to vent.
Thanks gal! Been a fun ride. I OWN all seven of my cows that are left. And have a chunk in the bank now. It's a relief honestly. Debt is something I don't mind to a point, but I'd like to keep my money! Rather than work for the bank.
Pastures could use a rest anyway....
Did you sell off all the nurse cows?
Only one I had left was Bessie.
And u KNOW the answer to that question!
🙂

Oodles and gobs went to slaughter here too.

I'm happy to say, all my girls went good homes. Only one that MAY have went to feed was little sister, the open/replacement heifer.
I'm leaning the same direction to cut significantly on our place but want to wait till early January for tax reasons. I planted winter grazing late and with lack of rain it just hasn't come up. Been watching noble foundation and other regenerative grazing seminar and want to redo my small operation to grazing more and haying less. There are so many options out there

Latest posts