custom cutting

Help Support CattleToday:

3 to 1 is pretty much the norn for baling hay on the shares.you would be better off paying your custom baler by the bale an keeping all the hay.

I pay $25 a bale for 1800# round bales. I provide the hay ground, he does all the work and leaves the bales in the field, I pick up and put them away.

Depends on how good the hay is. I had rather get 2 and leave 1 in good hay than get 4 and leave 1 in junk hay. Costs a lot more to cut and rake thin hay per bale than thick. Some I wouldn't cut for all of it. JMO

Some people do shares but I don't . I'll take the pay over the hay because 90% of the people around here's idea of fertalizing is passing by the field with a fertalizer buggy . I also have a 2 bale per acre min. I've cut very few fields I'd be willing to go halves on .

thanks to all...
i would rather pay a premium to get my hay baled and keep the hay... I really don't like the idea of shipping nutrients off the place... The guy charges 25- 27 to bale (if you can get him).. I'll offer $30, fertilize only what i need and hope he is interested... he does put up a good size bale with net wrap. Although i can most likely find hay for $35 a bale.. i can raise better hay and won't have to haul any distance..

I was recently approached by a new neighbor with a 47 orchard grass field and a 9 acre alfalfa field at the same place. she told me for the orchard grass they would let me roll it 4 to there 1 and the alfalfa she wants it completely square baled and my 2 to her 1 . I do not have a square baler and need to let her know by friday this week if that works for me... Do you all think its worth it to buy a square baler to do this ? I really have more hay than I need I could sell it but im not sure its worth it. I have already baled 120 round bales so far this year on my own personal stuff I only have 33 head of cattle now. help me make my mind up lol

Around here i dont think 3 to 1 has ever been heard of. I bale a lot of hay for half and i would feel prety good to get 6 out of 10.

the 3 to 1 was agreed because I told her if she needed square bales id have to buy a square baler to do it. I told her thats the only way it would be somewhat worth while I can sell the hay and recoop some of my money back plus she only has 4 horses and will not have enough room to store all that hay.

When I do small squares for others I charge 50% of what I think the hay would sell for using auctions as a price guide.

Most shares in my area are 3 to 1, some 4 to 1. The cost of equipment and labor is much more than it once was, plus less people custom bale around here. When I was growing up it was 50/50.
I have one 30 acre field I bale 50/50. He has excellent hay, fertilizes and limes out of his pocket. The first cutting this Spring yielded 147 nice tight 4x5 rolls.
I am $25 per roll on good hay. I will not spend my time on thin hay.