Dec 7 1941

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater":3vgt4ye1 said:
So the lesson here is that aggies make good cannon fodder? :D
That is an impressive stat but I have to wonder if there weren't some other influences besides an aggie's sense of duty. It could be as simple as a depressed local economy combined with a really good recruiter and a draft.
CP let me bring you up to speed a bit...From 1876 until the mid '70's all students at Texas A&M were required to take two years of Military Science (ROTC). They could then become what is referred to as "civilian" students are remain in the Military Science program two more years and graduate as 2nd Lieutenants in the Army, Air Force or Marine Corp. (There is where the "sense of duty" comes in).

Not only has A&M produced more military officers than any of the US Military Academies but has also produced over 250 Generals and seven (7) Medal of Honor Winners.....so yes....many of them probably did become what you refer to as "cannon fodder". On the wall of the Memorial Student Center which is dedicated to all Aggies killed in war is inscribed "Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend". That means something in Aggieland and is taken quite seriously. Texas A&M still has a large Corp of Cadets and even tho it is voluntary it turns out hundreds of new officers every year to the Army, Air Force, Marine Corp and now even the Coast Guard.

And yes we still cherish the title of "FARMERS" as much as anything as the school of Agriculture and the school of veterinary medicine are equal to any in the country.

TexasBred":1t9yr3nq said:
cow pollinater":1t9yr3nq said:
That is an impressive stat but I have to wonder if there weren't some other influences besides an aggie's sense of duty. It could be as simple as a depressed local economy combined with a really good recruiter and a draft.
CP let me bring you up to speed a bit...From 1876 until the mid '70's all students at Texas A&M were required to take two years of Military Science (ROTC). They could then become what is referred to as "civilian" students are remain in the Military Science program two more years and graduate as 2nd Lieutenants in the Army, Air Force or Marine Corp. (There is where the "sense of duty" comes in).

Not only has A&M produced more military officers than any of the US Military Academies but has also produced over 250 Generals and seven (7) Medal of Honor Winners.....so yes....many of them probably did become what you refer to as "cannon fodder". On the wall of the Memorial Student Center which is dedicated to all Aggies killed in war is inscribed "Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend". That means something in Aggieland and is taken quite seriously. Texas A&M still has a large Corp of Cadets and even tho it is voluntary it turns out hundreds of new officers every year to the Army, Air Force, Marine Corp and now even the Coast Guard.

And yes we still cherish the title of "FARMERS" as much as anything as the school of Agriculture and the school of veterinary medicine are equal to any in the country.

Thank you, Richard. You have every right to be proud of your heritage as a Texan and of your school.

cow pollinater":1d0fk19f said:
TexasBred":1d0fk19f said:
A terrible day in the history of our great country but also a new birth of America. Below is just one reason I'm proud to be an American and a fighin' Texas Aggie.

Aggie..........Nickname for a student at, or former student of, Texas A&M University, or one of the other associated schools.

Derived from the Ag of Agricultural & Mechanical commonly associated with universities established under the Morrill Act of July 2, 1862.

There were 20,229 Texas Aggies who served in World War II. Of these, 14,123 Aggies served as officers, more than any other school, including the combined totals of United States Military Academy and the United States Naval Academy.

Of the men I knew they joined after the attack on Pearl none were drafted. They did draft in WWII from 18 to 45 years of age, I know several that joined at 15 or 16 lied about there age.

hooknline":13slwar0 said:
I get a mssg saying article no longer available.
What the jist of it?

Here it is, hook.

Seventy years ago today, a peaceful Sunday morning at Pearl Harbor turned to carnage and panic as Japanese aircraft roared through the Hawaiian skies and hot ammunition ripped into American ships. Caught by surprise, America lost 2,388 military personnel and civilians. The fuse that would send America into the Second World War had been ignited.

The following day, President Franklin Roosevelt addressed the nation from the Capitol. In a speech that lasted less than seven minutes, the president gravely described the "date which will live in infamy." A wounded but resolute America was at war. And Roosevelt predicted "always will our whole nation remember the character of the onslaught against us."

I wonder whether we're living up to that prediction.

The historical significance of Pearl Harbor, its warnings against geopolitical complacency, and its ongoing implications are not even concepts most of our college students would recognize. According to a study of college seniors from elite universities around the country, a third could not identify Germany, Italy and Japan as our wartime enemies. Almost two-thirds did not even know the Battle of the Bulge was during World War II.

The sacrifices of our greatest generation are being lost on our youngest generation.

This is not a matter of simply amassing facts and dates. It's about our obligation to teach our young people about the pivotal moments in the defense of the free world — which still needs defending.

The Roman orator Cicero, who is coincidentally believed to have died on Dec. 7, 43 BCE, observed, "Not to know what happened before you were born is to remain forever a child."

Are our young people developing into the adult citizens that a free society requires?

The survey results are alarming. Only a quarter knew the significance of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation. Only 23 percent could identify James Madison as the "Father of the Constitution." And only 60 percent knew the Constitution established the division of powers.

Colleges are failing to provide our students with the educational foundation they deserve and our country needs. A nationwide study of more than 1,000 colleges and universities, What Will They Learn? (http://www.whatwilltheylearn.com), found that 80 percent of our colleges don't require students to take a foundational course in American history. A mere 5 percent require economics. Barely 15 percent expect students to study foreign language. Without a strong foundation, how can the leaders of tomorrow set the course for our future?

Students today are more likely to know the vulgar lyrics of rappers such as Kanye West, T-Pain and Nikki Minaj than the brilliant ideas of Sir Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein or Galileo.

Students can describe Occupy Wall Street in impassioned detail without knowing who occupied Europe in the 1940s, or how and why it happened. Lady Macbeth has receded into near oblivion as Lady Gaga takes center stage.

Seventy years ago today, our nation was plunged into a war that would test her mettle and her character for four costly years. Our finest generation took to the shorelines, to the factories and to the streets with a dedication that ultimately ripped across the globe and helped free millions from tyranny. From the blood and bullets grew a new America with a greater consciousness of its role in securing worldwide liberty. The shaken nation that was pushed into war in 1941 was not the same nation that emerged in 1945.

But if we fail to educate our young people on the importance of freedom and the sacrifice of their ancestors, our young people will remain — as Cicero said — children forever.

Thanks Van. Id have to say i agree with that article. The public school system is more concerned with funding and pc than it is teaching our children. And most parents today rely 100 percent on public schools to do the teaching of their children.
No offense to any public teachers as i know firsthand your hands are tied

These photo's were found on an old camera and developed and found to be Pearl Harbour during the attack...thought I would post as you might like to see them....Chrisy. :heart:

53b5292.jpg

53b5288.jpg

53b5274.jpg

53b5260.jpg

53b5256.jpg

53b5241.jpg

53b5237.jpg

53b5223.jpg

53b5219.jpg

53b522d.jpg

53b520f.jpg

53b51fb.jpg

53b52a6.jpg

My dad drooped out of high school in 1942 to enlist and served as a glider mechanic in Europe. He has lost a lot of his memories now, so I remember for him. I grieve for those who died and I celebrate those who served. What a terrible and wonderful time to be alive! Now, we are losing The Greatest Generation. I hope we never forget their sacrifice. Bless them all. I find myself becoming sad this time of year thinking about it. When I look into my fathers eyes, I can't imagine the things he saw, even though he was never issued a gun. We must all keep the memories and stories alive. We must never forget.

TexasBred":4f5djo7l said:
cow pollinater":4f5djo7l said:

Just one more reason the term God Bless Texas is so true.

Latest posts