Disposal of needles

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
What does everyone do with all the needles they use for vaccinations.

I take mine to a local vets office and he disposes of them for me.

I know someone out there will say they just put them in with the trash, I also know if they were ever on the beach that I walked on in NJ about 20 years ago they wouldn't do that. They had a pile of trash from a barge get dumped and it wound up all over the NJ beach shore line.,,,,,NOT A PRETTY SITE

I have a burn pit on my property were I dispose of them. However, taking them to the vet for disposal is a great idea. I am going to check with my vet to see if that would be an option for me. Thanks for the idea!

I drop them in one of those screw top coke bottles then put them in the dumpster.

Alice

A6gal":3nkxwgce said:
I have a burn pit on my property were I dispose of them. However, taking them to the vet for disposal is a great idea. I am going to check with my vet to see if that would be an option for me. Thanks for the idea!

OH NO, a rookie/hobby farmer had a good idea. :roll:

thanks A6 My wife is a nurse and she was going to make me get a sharps disposal container if I din't find a way to handle the disposal of them.

There was an article in the Tuscaloosa news last week saying that local garbage men where getting stuck by needles in the trash about twice a month.
:shock:
These were needles used for treatment of diabetes and other home treatments according to the paper.

We collect needles in sharps containers which are then incinerated as medical waste. We have to pay for each pick up so tend to use large containers, store them until we have a few then call for pick up. We have to use licenced incineration services....

We use an empty pickle jar(husband loves pickles) to dispose of bacon grease, we drop the needles in those jars and put the lid on when full.

Yhe majority of these respnses only deal with the primary disposal, i.e. pickle jars, bleach bottles, etc. What do you do with those containers that have the needles in them, don;t they still end up in a general landfill somewhere?

dun

dun":1zl57r5f said:
Yhe majority of these respnses only deal with the primary disposal, i.e. pickle jars, bleach bottles, etc. What do you do with those containers that have the needles in them, don;t they still end up in a general landfill somewhere?

dun

Dun,,,,,my point exactly. And the question about what the vet does with them, he pays a fee to have them disposed of. I do believe they are run through an incenerator and reduced to ash and then disposed of.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, I know one thing I am guilty of not thinking about the final disposal of the needles. I must be getting more responsible in my OLD AGE because I think about things like this and try to do whats best for our environment.

Our kids have to live with what we leave them.

my husband has to take daily shots for his medical condition. He has a red syringe container that you see at doctor's offices to put his used syringes into. he also happens to work for a hospital. I put the needles in the red container and when it is full he takes it to the hospital. They give him a new container.

ALACOWMAN":3bc9zb24 said:
put them in a envelope and sign on the front personal info. checking account # S.S. # DL# enclosed . that well teach those ID thieves.

Now there is a thought :roll:

Buy a sharps container at the local co-op or they can be ordered from any livestock supply. When they're full the vet will dispose of them for me.

And I thought that I was doing a civic duty by offering second hand wormings and vaccinations to the homeless by donating our sharps to the less fortunate. All thoes folks being immune to blackleg, BRD and BVD good for the environment!

Really, the bride is a RN and we just use the sharps containers
at her facility.

Dave Mc

They go in a plastic jug and are disposed of at the local dump. Not considered medical waste as they are used on animals. Makes no sense to me but, that's what we do.

Latest posts